Couple next door have opened a factory. What can I do?

5 hours ago, bandito said:

Not so!

It is by law prohibited to run a factory in a residential area.

Wait till the Thai IRS hear of this as they probably don't pay any taxes.

To speed up the process complain or tell the tax office.

A factory, sounds more like a distribution business. They started recently, so probably not paid any taxes yet, but the tax office won't be any good yet.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2019 at 5:44 AM, lannarebirth said:

From your description it sounds like they are having some success in their business. Hopefully that will require that they move to a larger space elsewhere. Either that, or you move to a more serene space elsewhere. There are absolutely zero zoning requirements in Thailand, and even if there were they would be ignored.

Pattaya introduced zoning a few years ago. "Residential", "mixed" and "business" if I remember correctly.

Made not one iota of difference. It's a cultural thing, they bought the land, they can do what they like on it. Who are you to tell them what to do on their land? You will get zero support from your Thai neighbours, they will privately agree with you that the situation is intolerable but there's no chance of them confronting the factory owner. TiT. Relocate.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, NCC1701A said:

go to Tesco Lotus, they have those cheap but very loud karaoke amplifiers. plug your phone into. Just when they go to sleep for the night, blast   "Flight of the Valkyries" at full volume. or maybe for you, "Start Me Up" by the Stones.

I'd hire Transam to sing "I'm dancing in the rain" all night long when they wanna sleep.

Then your problem is solved and Trans has a free holiday. A win-win situation. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:44 AM, lannarebirth said:

From your description it sounds like they are having some success in their business. Hopefully that will require that they move to a larger space elsewhere. Either that, or you move to a more serene space elsewhere. There are absolutely zero zoning requirements in Thailand, and even if there were they would be ignored.

I think that the "zero zoning requirements" is not true. More like they are often being ignored or that residents aren't aware enough.

Couple of years ago a large plot (10 rai or more) was purchased right in the middle of "our" village. There was a bit of an industrial level landfill effort, a concrete fence popped up round most the area and large metal gate appeared. 

We were worried it might be some factory/warehouse thing, with probable negative effect on quality of life. Asked around, and most locals were either evasive or clueless. None seemed to happy about it, though. At the end, the Mrs. did her thing with officials, and got some details - someone did have plans for something along these lines, but locals objected citing rights and regulations and the project stalled.

Some of the points mentioned were -

- Can't build a factory in close vicinity to agricultural lands.

- Access road not suitable for heavy traffic.

- "our" zone, on "our" side of the highway is designated some kind of "green zone" (but there are other factories anyway - from before the proclamation/regulation was issued).

- Royal agricultural project right next door (which wasn't involved in the proceedings, just cited as reason to halt the project).

Seems like the project's owner was less than truthful and forthcoming when declaring plans to the municipality.

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think that the "zero zoning requirements" is not true. More like they are often being ignored or that residents aren't aware enough.

Couple of years ago a large plot (10 rai or more) was purchased right in the middle of "our" village. There was a bit of an industrial level landfill effort, a concrete fence popped up round most the area and large metal gate appeared. 

We were worried it might be some factory/warehouse thing, with probable negative effect on quality of life. Asked around, and most locals were either evasive or clueless. None seemed to happy about it, though. At the end, the Mrs. did her thing with officials, and got some details - someone did have plans for something along these lines, but locals objected citing rights and regulations and the project stalled.

Some of the points mentioned were -

- Can't build a factory in close vicinity to agricultural lands.

- Access road not suitable for heavy traffic.

- "our" zone, on "our" side of the highway is designated some kind of "green zone" (but there are other factories anyway - from before the proclamation/regulation was issued).

- Royal agricultural project right next door (which wasn't involved in the proceedings, just cited as reason to halt the project).

Seems like the project's owner was less than truthful and forthcoming when declaring plans to the municipality.

That sounds like the beginnings of a cohesive community. Congratulations!

On 8/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, stevenl said:

Op should be able to get the parking issues sorted, presuming they are parking illegally now.

But the business itself, no. They basically can do whatever they like.

Sometime ago, a small delivery business a few houses down the street morphed into a Kerry branch. The delivery pickups, and customers parking everywhere, which were a nuisance before, turned into a issue. They'd often part on the back, blocking parking entrances of houses or making getting in and out of them difficult. Noise and strangers loitering about were extra.

Whenever there was a problem, we'd either tell them to move, or go to the office and tell them to tell them to move. It worked but was annoying to say the least.

One of the neighbors decided enough was enough, called the police and pointed out it was a not really a parking zone, and that a business with that much traffic ought to sort things in a proper way. 

Ended up with them having to rent a plot across the road as temporary parking space, and cutting down on usage of back road. Eventually, they moved most operations to a new branch on the highway, with the old one used on a more reasonable level (quite convenient, actually).

The parking angle is actually a good one, as there are apparently clear regulations, and it's easy to show there's an issue. Plus something tangible for local authorities to fine and such.

22 hours ago, CGW said:

The vast majority of Thai's are not "insensitive" to noise, there is a small minority that are ignorant & generally uneducated that like to make noise.

Thais love noise. They seem to have a problem if it is too quiet.

3 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Throw some drugs inside the house when they are gone, then call the police to tell you see minivans and people moving in and out 24/7 and suspect them of dealing.

Word of caution! if you do decide on the above course of action!

1. Don't get caught buying the "drugs" they will never believe your "story"

2. If you do successfully "score", don't get caught "throwing' drugs into the house - I guarantee you will not be a popular chappie! ???? 

Remember if you make any reports to authorities, when the authorities go around the check things out they will tell the people who made the report. They will say - the farang next door reported you. In all likelihood the problem will continue but now you have Thais getting dirty on you and you run the risk of getting walloped one night.

32 minutes ago, CGW said:

Word of caution! if you do decide on the above course of action!

1. Don't get caught buying the "drugs" they will never believe your "story"

2. If you do successfully "score", don't get caught "throwing' drugs into the house - I guarantee you will not be a popular chappie! ???? 

Clearly you don't get sarcasm.

5 hours ago, Morch said:

More likely he failed to use the correct application paper.... aka that folding stuff with a picture of His Majesty on it.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, simon43 said:

I'm so happy that I recently moved to live in a UNESCO-protected town (Luang Prabang).  No factories starting up next door.....

I would temper your excitement. What about a laundry, store, bar or workshop. I don't know about your town, but it's common for businesses to move into small rental townhouses in Pattaya. Not factories, but small businesses. You might be next.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, kellersphuket said:

morning yall,

I live in a rented house in rawai, part of a moo bahn complex. Not really had any complaints up until about a month ago. The couple next door have decided to transform their house into a factory/distribution centre. All day long there are cars and vans coming and going, parking outside my house etc. They sometimes work late into the night and I can hear them moving boxes around. They have about 6/7 staff working for them all day. They just park their cars wherever they want and dont seem to care about any residents.

I have tried to complain to the juristic but they seem unwilling to help.

What can I do about this? is this legal? It's really starting to annoy me now. I don't really want to move as I am happy where I am and why should I move anyway???

You have only one option. MOVE! Don't even think about fighting it.

I lived in a peaceful townhouse, until a laundry moved in next door. At first it was only the odours (perfumes) that caused problems, as my wife was allergic to them... then the neighbour, for no obvious reason became nasty. She sent a Thai gang of friends around to intimidate us. She sent the police around - even had our place searched. 

Long story, but in summary - Intimidation from nasty Thai people, dozens of hours at the police station, visits to City Hall, visits from City Hall, 3 court cases (6 appearances) with over 120,000 THB wasted on lawyers, being screwed by lawyers (could write a book on this), etc, etc, etc. Conclusion, after a battle that lasted 18 months, we had to move anyway. 

You will not win, and due to the obviously lucrative nature of the business next door, you'll probably find the going even harder than we did.

You rent, and the ONLY person that can help you is your landlord, and I doubt very much he will go up against his neighbours. These Thai people look down on you. That's life here - live with it. You're a 2nd class human here. Know your place.

There are zoning laws in Thailand, but that's up to the municipal authority where you live. They may not have strict laws and even if they do, may not enforce them - especially to placate a foreigner. You would be considered as no more than a annoyance, a pest. If you were a Thai citizen of some standing, you might have prevented them from moving in. Then there is always the chance that your life could be in danger if you push too hard. I'm probably lucky I survived my ordeal. They can always twist it to make them themselves look like the victim, and alienate you from your entire neighbourhood. That was what happened with us - all the Thais around the neighbourhood would give us dirty looks. We were considered scum. If you pushed it legally, even the lawyer would be on their side.

In conclusion, get out of there asap, or get used to the noise and disturbance.

There's a good chance you will find a much better place to live. We did.

39 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:
4 hours ago, fishtank said:

Thais love noise. They seem to have a problem if it is too quiet.

Has anyone ever figured out why?

This is definitely not true. Our Thai neighbour complained about noise. I know other members who had similar problems. Police were called out in one case I know. Perhaps people who live in a bar district are immune to loud music, but not Thai people who live in quiet neighbourhoods. If you don't believe me, move into a decent Thai community and start blasting your stereo. I wouldn't recommend it, but you'll soon learn that your theory is wrong.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, stevenl said:

Which is far from the situation we're talking about here.

People opened a factory next door to me , and my reply is how it was resolved,

In fact I believe my reply is the only one from  someone who actually had a "factory" open next to him and how it was dealt with,but I might have missed others. 

I realise that every situation is different , and that it is too late for the OP to engage the solutions I propose,but I believe there is value in the strategy I proposed.

For Thailand there is also value in the diametrically opposed  strategy of "flying under the radar" and keeping a low profile, but such strategy leaves you on your own to deal with issues such as the one  described by the OP.

For me it helps that my wife's family is engaged in the community,I know others might not have the same advantage, or personality traits.

IMO the Police Red Box, is an easy and Inexpensive way to develop  a good relationship with the police.

People always take the path of least resistance, IMO constant police presence in an area creates a certain amount of "resistance" that those engaging in illegal activity might want to avoid. If the police was showing up in that street every other day , those wishing to start an illegal business might (I said MIGHT, they might have an even better relationship with the authorities) have looked for a different location. I know it will not totally alleviate problems, but hopefully it might reduce them.

Anyway way, that's what has worked for me, You all can take it for what it is worth.

Lots of great comments here. As far as I see it you have four options:

1 - Complain about it either to them or the authorities, either of which may end up costing you money or will make your life hell through petty retaliation, forcing you to move.

2 - Make your life as easy as possible and just move.

3 - Put up with it.

4 - Go home.

If it were me, I would just move, by far the easiest option. You are a guest in Thailand and I would advise against making enemies over what Thais would see as a very petty matter. Noise pollution is a crime in many western countries, but is a way of life for people in Thailand, they probably wouldn't even understand what you are complaining about because they would assume that you are super rich and can live anywhere.

Archived