Icelandic cyclist ends up in hospital after slamming into tow truck

webfact

Icelandic cyclist ends up in hospital after slamming into tow truck

7pm1.jpg

Thai good Samaritans helped a 43 year old Icelandic man after he cycled into the back of a Chiang Mai provincial authority tow truck. 

The cyclist had just left the Chiang Mai 700 Years Stadium and was on his way downtown opposite the Green Lake Resort, reported Chiang Mai News.  

Two women and a man on the scene helped to translate to English and provided much needed umbrella cover from the heat of the day. 

The victim had blood from a head wound.

He was taken to Maharat Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital. 

The tow truck was parked at the time, police said. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-22

The truck did something that no western educated cyclist could have expected him to do. Happens to me about every two kilometers, but I know that one day it will be my turn. So far, 33000 km, only one crash, because of an unexpected "concrete breast" in the middle of the road. Only a B cup but enough to loose control at 40 km/h, with sweaty hands.

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

The truck did something that no western educated cyclist could have expected him to do. Happens to me about every two kilometers, but I know that one day it will be my turn. So far, 33000 km, only one crash, because of an unexpected "concrete breast" in the middle of the road. Only a B cup but enough to loose control at 40 km/h, with sweaty hands.

What would you expect a parked vehicle to do?

And what is a concrete breast?

This actually is not such a uncommon occurrence. Cyclists often ride with their heads down especially if there is a headwind. The key is to keep looking up at regular intervals, like every 5-10 seconds to make sure road is still clear. Sometimes head is kept down longer than should, and Murphy's Law happens. Heat and fatigue can take its toll on alertness and this can happen. Hope the cyclist is ok, that mistake can be deadly.

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

It was such a nice day peddling along looking at the scenry and wham right into the back of a truck, damn that hurts.

Yep. I hit the back of a parked VW bug (?) one day at college many years ago. ????

Perhaps he was tired of fighting traffic congestion and passed unsafely.

image.jpeg.1172ef196f488d5520fcf16cc12d5c3b.jpeg

What a of stupid and ignorant comments. Ivan is Irish, an experienced cyclist and a good man. These kind of comments that you people post are the absolute pits. Not sure what happened here but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the events did not take place as reported. 

18 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Well, looking at the pic, there's no brakes (at least on the front wheel).

7pm1.jpg

Off course there are brakes on the front wheel. From the angle of the photo you can only see the rear of the front fork whilst the brake is on the front. I know Ivan well and I have ridden with him whilst he has been on that bicycle. So don't play smart with me. Joe: Sometimes it is far better to keep your fingers off the keyboard rather than make jokes about someone who has had a serious accident. That's why I find you both ignorant and disgusting.

25 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Cycling here is way too dangerous and always hearing stories of cyclists being wiped out.

And driving, and sitting in a van or bus or taxi, and riding a motorcycle, and swimming, and eating, and drinking, and getting out of bed. If you're not a cyclist, you don't know what you're talking about. Please don't move off your sofa or barstool.

I agree with everything ianf said above, especially about the brakes. How do I know? I sold that bike to Ivan a year ago.

This is the worst thing about TV: chiming in when you have no knowledge, a clear bias, and an uninformed opinion.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

This is the worst thing about TV: chiming in when you have no knowledge, a clear bias, and an uninformed opinion.

And also the sanctimonious arrogance of those that think no-one can comment unless it passes a certain level of muster because you have a monopoly on which type of comments can be made. Troll.

Archived