Video: Japanese student refuses to budge for motorcyclists on the sidewalk

webfact

Video: Japanese student refuses to budge for motorcyclists on the sidewalk

8pm.jpg
Picture: Workpoint News

A minute long video posted on Facebook showed a mature woman dressed as a Thai student standing in the way of motorcyclists illegally using the sidewalk in Bangkok. 

She won't budge and calmly directs the bikers to use the road.

One motorcycle taxi guy's passenger gets off as the "win" rider goes on the road where he should be. A man with a passenger and two children is forced to double back. 

Thai caption on the video: Stopping motorcyclists on the sidewalk

Poster Udomsak Nakjaengin said the video was taken near the Lam Salee intersection in Bangkapi, downtown Bangkok. 

Workpoint News said that the woman in the video is Megumi Morimota, aged about 46, who is a student at Kaset University in Sakhon Nakhon in Thailand's Isan region.

She rides a bicycle, lives in halls, is known as "Mali" (Jasmine) and is known as a stickler for university rules. 

Source: Workpoint News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-22

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There talking about 3,000 baht fine for continual breaches by the same person maybe 1,000 first offence , 2,000 second offence , 3,000 for third offence and 90 suspension after that which might just stop most of the habitual offenders in their tracks but TIT so certainly no guarantee .

What is so difficult about live and let live?

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

I wonder how many of the people who complain about motorcycle drivers follow all the laws all the time.

Do you ever use a mobile phone (not hands free) while you are driving?

Do you always make sure that you don't stop in the middle of a junction you want to drive through?

Do you always stop at zebra crossings?

Do you always strictly follow no parking laws?

How many people follow all the laws all the time? I bet very few people do that - especially in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

Because roads are for vehicles and sidewalks are for pedestrians. 

It's a fairly simple, safe and effective concept. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

Many people drive more than a few meters on  the sidewalk.    Would it be possible for you to avoid doing this all together?

We do not have a crusader here. 

What happened was she directed a motorbike that had two children on it down a curb and directly into moving traffic, all because she was apparently too busy to move being occupied by her phone. Pure class. 

5 minutes ago, meand said:

What happened was she directed a motorbike that had two children on it down a curb and directly into moving traffic, all because she was apparently too busy to move being occupied by her phone. Pure class. 

Where

They

Belong

12 minutes ago, meand said:

How dare someone direct a motorbike onto a road! What next - people directing pedestrians onto sidewalks!?!

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many of the people who complain about motorcycle drivers follow all the laws all the time.

Do you ever use a mobile phone (not hands free) while you are driving?

Do you always make sure that you don't stop in the middle of a junction you want to drive through?

Do you always stop at zebra crossings?

Do you always strictly follow no parking laws?

How many people follow all the laws all the time? I bet very few people do that - especially in Thailand.

Perhaps the question should actually be;.... how many of y’all deliberately break the law?

yes, I violate laws occasionally, but it’s very rare that I do so deliberately, and when deliberate (eg... exceeding speed limit to overtake), I always factor in how my actions will impact on others, beforehand.

”live and let live” requires that your actions and the actions of another, do not adversely intersect. Numpties wrong way riding and using footpaths as roadways, adversely intersects with others, so it’s not about living and let live, as these folk are endangering others.

16 minutes ago, meand said:

You obviously watched a different video and read a different post to the OP herein.

39 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

Dude your actions as a bike rider are the exception to the rule, the dam morons especially taxi motorbikes where I live in BKK on Pradit Manutham Soi 84 Wang Thong Lang are serial pests.

They drive like maniacs along the cycle/ walking pathway, it even has the big sign "No Motorbikes symbol, 5,000 Baht fine...........but the idiots just ignore it, yesterday while out walking one of these morons handlebars traveling at over 50 KM brushed past my shirt. If I challenge him I will have the local motorbike mafia gang give me a good beating.

So good on the girl for taking a stand against the motorbikes on the footpath, you forgot one thing also in your comments, bylaw motorbikes are not permitted to travel on pedestrian walkways! 

It's the broken window theory, start small enforcing road safety and maybe..just maybe you can reduce the road toll in Thailand. 

BTW every few months the local BIB come and do a stint of catching and ticketing motorbikes using the footpath, surprise...surprise, never once have they ticketed a taxi motorbike rider, why? because they are nowhere to be seen, when the BIB are enforcing the footpath law, only the poor locals get caught in the dragnet, go figure!  

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Bloody farangs coming here and imposing their culture on Thais! Oh, she's a fellow Asian. From Japan? Maybe she has a point, then. 

Pedestrians are well respected / protected by law in Japan.

Cars etc., caught not stopping at pedestrian crossings are punished severely. 

But the twist is that bicycles (not motorcycles) are expected to travel on the footpath so you will regularly hear bicycles bells from behind you to ask you to take care and allow the bicycle to pass. 

This reminds me of the Russian youtubers called "Stop a Douchebag", it's one of my favourite channels and it shows a group of young russians who prevent cars from driving on the sidewalk and double parking. They are very brave and stand ground no matter how aggressive the driver is.

They are quite polite and just as the driver to turn back or move, if the driver refuses to do so they give them a large sticker on the windshield.

I would love to see a movement like this in Thailand, I would join one if I was Thai, wouldn't go well for foreigners to do this. 

Here is a video from the Russians: 

54 minutes ago, meand said:

No, the motorbike with the two babies and wife on, turned around and went back down the pavement. 

Archived