Video: Japanese student refuses to budge for motorcyclists on the sidewalk

webfact

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so difficult about live and let live?

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

No wonder govt is attracting Chinese and Indians ????

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, motorcycles should not drive on the sidewalk. But the girl should not deliberately block the passage. That’s the job of the police, not hers. Would be a disaster if tomorrow uni girls will jump on the zebra crossing as soon as the light turns red.
There are enough examples where such behaviour would quickly turn in violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

Agree, motorcycles should not drive on the sidewalk. But the girl should not deliberately block the passage. That’s the job of the police, not hers. Would be a disaster if tomorrow uni girls will jump on the zebra crossing as soon as the light turns red.
There are enough examples where such behaviour would quickly turn in violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sir, no one stops at zebra crossings here in TH and a person have to push himself infront of vehicles. Then there are reluctant brakes. 

BKK needs more women like that ????

Sir, no one stops at zebra crossings here in TH and a person have to push himself infront of vehicles. Then there are reluctant brakes. 

BKK needs more women like that [emoji123]

I know, I live here more than 20y, that’s why I know such behaviour is not well accepted, the attitude of Thai people is to avoid confrontation rather than instigate it. I have sympathy for her stance, but I would not recommend this to my friends. There are other ways to achieve the same and honestly, since the sidewalk driving is actually fined,it did decrease a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If more people did this we would get the idiots off the sidewalk.

it isn't a case of live and let live......if I walk in the street I will probably last about five minutes. I applaud this woman.....I am guessing she speaks Thai.

i have maintained for a long time that laws are for the guidance of fools......the fools are riding on the sidewalks. If they hit me is it live and let live? Bloody stupid point of view.

If more people did this we would get the idiots off the sidewalk.
it isn't a case of live and let live......if I walk in the street I will probably last about five minutes. I applaud this woman.....I am guessing she speaks Thai.
i have maintained for a long time that laws are for the guidance of fools......the fools are riding on the sidewalks. If they hit me is it live and let live? Bloody stupid point of view.

Like I said just be careful out there this is Thailand and not Japan that’s for sure. I still love it here though.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

The 74 year old sister of a close Thai friend is currently on life support and in a coma. Almost zero chance of recovery. She was hit ON THE SIDEWALK BY A MOTORCYCLE. The contempt I feel for the guy who is trying to deny what he’s done is on par with the contempt I feel for you and anyone else with your low morality. Shame on you.

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:
  8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

@ onemorefarang you are a disgrace mate!  I'm in disbelief of your comments... did you leave your morals and standards on the plane when you arrived  ⁉️

Well Thailand said they wanted to emulate Japanese driving standards....well in Japan you can't drive a MC on the sidewalks, so it seems this lady is just the one enforcing what Thailand said they wanted. If they put her in charge, maybe things would change. Starting with traffic fatalities. God knows under Thai leadership, it never will.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever as a pedestrian walk over a street with a red light for pedestrians or at a sign that you shouldn't cross the street at that place?

If you do it seldom and be careful that does not mean you do it all the time. Sometime a temporary exceptions from the rules is not such a bad thing. And if foreigners in Thailand pretend they always obey all the laws I can only laugh

There are no temporary exceptions. And a bike is far more likely to damage a pedestrian than the other way around. I thought there was a news item earlier this year about someone killed on a sidewalk by a bike. 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

I'll jump on this as well - first the most important point, a motorcycle will do far more harm to a pedestrian than the other way around, this is what priorities need to based on. Just because you are considerate does not mean you can have your own law to excuse you. If you ride down a pavement you could kill a pedestrian. If a pedestrian walks down a road he is not going to hurt you. 

She is not making them do what "she wants" she is asking them to obey the law.

Roads are for everyone not just motorized vehicles, they have as much right as you do but should take care as well and not cause an obstruction. 

Let pedestrians live - don't ride along the pavement.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If that is the case why is she so stupid and block the sidewalk again?

To get her revenge ?

To stick it through the spokes of their wheels ?

Or to hold it up at about head height if they go zooming past ?

9 hours ago, sherwood said:

They are named sidewalks for a reason. They are for walking on.

Yeah, except when the BMA (Bangkok Metro Admin) and most others including the RTP support bicycles on the sidewalks (i.e. pavements in UK where doing so is illegal and getting a lot of bicylists killed on the roads). I've done the same as she's done a couple of times but am careful who I block. I'm sure there are motorcyclists out there who would run you down in a heartbeat.

There was a big, graphic advert posted a few days ago concerning how to get paid by turning in photographic evidence of motorcyclists and cars misusing and abusing the sidewalks. PM me for a copy of it. I had planned on making copies and placing them on cars that are illegally parked on sidewalks and to hand out to the motorcyclists also abusing. I wonder how successful the people  assigned to collect the fines is going to be tracking down the suspects and making them pay.

Mercenary vigilantes!

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

You speak as someone intelligent, reasonable, who thinks before acting. No aggressiveness in your remarks,

however 62 emoticons that disapprove you, it says a lot about openness ????

9 hours ago, todlad said:

More and more families are using pushchairs for their children, except when the footpath is blocked by street vendors, trees, lamp posts, staircases and vehicles.

Nightmare.

A pushchair is a wheeled vehicle.

Ban these filthy scum!! Set the Japanese on them!!

my experience is that
1) many of these "motocy" taxi riders behave as if they own the pavements/sidewalks
2) I doubt very much they''d have quietly gone over to the road to avoid her if it had been a farang man in their way instead of an Asian lady. The farang would be in hospital and nothing would be done about it

Archived