Video: Japanese student refuses to budge for motorcyclists on the sidewalk

webfact

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, meshborg said:

Haha.Good luck think she be run over by the end of the week.

And you think that is funny? 

Maybe you could be run over by the end of the week just by walking down the pavement. Then you will understand why she should be admired instead of ridiculed.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so difficult about live and let live?

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.. but I'm with her on this one !

In Japan they have a little more respect for each other!

I understand if there is a small sidewalk which has only place for one person that the person won't go on the street because a motorcycle is on the sidewalk.

But this is not the case here. Her only purpose for standing there is to block motorcycles. Why? Does she feel better when she demands that other people do what she wants?

I drive motorcycle and often people, mostly tourist, walk in the middle of small sois even if those sois have a sidewalk. Do I run them over because the street is for vehicles and not for pedestrians? No. I drive around them. Problem solved.

I drive very seldom on a sidewalk but it happens, i.e. if I want to stop in front of an ATM for 5 minutes. If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem. They can walk, I can drive on the sidewalk for a few meters, no problem for anybody.

Relax, take it easy!

Most people walk down the roads in Soi's because they cannot walk on the sidewalks for the parked motorcycles.

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

If I do this I make sure I don't harass pedestrians. If there are pedestrians I make sure they can walk without problem

But you  know MANY dont and therein lies the problem, selfish.

Then those MANY should be fined.

I don't represent everybody who ever used a bike on a sidewalk.

The few time I do it I do it carefully. But it seems for most TVF members there is only black or white. There are the good guys who never ever do that and there are the bad guy and the bad guys are all the same.

Yeah, sure, and next time your drive a car after drinking just one beer don't be surprised if people mix you up with those drunk drivers who are totally drunk.

Take it easy!

It must be an Asian thing, where people using their feet are looked down on by those on wheels.  "GET OUTA MY WAY!"

It was no different in Bali last year, where I was constantly pushed off the footpath.

P1130232.thumb.JPG.76e3e54ee863cb3eb099a28764a556eb.JPG

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just to be entirely clear: It's not my opinion that motorcycle riders should use sidewalks. They shouldn't! But if they do it from time to time for a few meters and they ride slowly and make sure they don't bother pedestrians then I think that is acceptable.

They shouldn't, but it's OK if they do occasionally. Oh brother!

27 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I think this poster is just an attention seeker, probably counting his “likes”

No. Because in this case I see a lot of dislikes for my comments.

If I would want likes I would write that she is such a strong woman and all bikers are bad. It seems that is what brings likes in this thread.

This is not about likes. It is about how biased people are. Of course the posts calling her a hero will get all the likes. That is because we are all biased and only respond to things selfishly bc we are inconvenienced by motorbikes on sidewalks. 

As they say, an action always brings with it a reaction. I have made some points previously, but beyond those, little things like this make Thais mad. A foreigner telling Thai men where they can go? I will be clear, if this was a Thai woman I think the statement is much more powerful. 

Look, just imagine if someone came into your home, and because you were doing "something illegal", like listening to an illegally downloaded song, what if they forced their ways on you and made you stop? There would probably be some hostility there at the very least, right? Yet, just because this idiot who has come into your home is technically right, as we all know, it is the farthest thing from the right thing to do. We are just biased so we don't see the motorbike situation that way, we see it from a selfish perspective. 

This woman is not a hero. The insane part is she was directing a motorbike with two kids on it down a curb and into oncoming traffic. What if that driver would have listened to her? This is just a bossy bitch that has no place to be doing this. That is it. 

1 hour ago, meand said:

Look, just imagine if someone came into your home, and because you were doing "something illegal", like listening to an illegally downloaded song, what if they forced their ways on you and made you stop? There would probably be some hostility there at the very least, right? Yet, just because this idiot who has come into your home is technically right, as we all know, it is the farthest thing from the right thing to do. We are just biased so we don't see the motorbike situation that way, we see it from a selfish perspective. 

Your analogy is ridiculous. Never heard of anyone being seriously injured downloading a song.

I watched with pride and astonishment as my Thai GF stood her ground with a motorcyclist attempting to enter a narrow footpath into a roofed market no less. The cyclist continued  by slipping past her and promptly losing the side mirror on her bike as a concrete post sheared it off.

I wanted to shout and give a fist pump  but contained myself as my GF never even turned her head, knowing what would inevitably happen to the motorbike. Likewise the cyclist never said a word or slowed down, but continued into the market to endanger the people there; her attempt at saving face I suppose. A vendor sitting there watched the episode with a blank face.

I asked my GF later about it and she calmly replied that she had  the right of way and the cyclist was wrong to be there.

I wouldn't call her a crusader at all but she made a point very elegantly I thought.

Will the offending cyclist think twice before attempting the same maneuver again? Does she regret not hitting my GF instead of losing her mirror? Impossible to say.

And so it goes in the Kingdom.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, webfact said:

Japanese student refuses to budge for motorcyclists on the sidewalk

BRAVO!

I know many Japanese expats here.

While they are without fail exceedingly polite, some have confided in me how infuriating it is dealing with people in Thailand.

The Japanese society is one of impeccable attention avoiding other people discomfort due to self-interest.

Thailand is the EXACT opposite with everyone agreeing to be "flexible" and look the other way.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. Because in this case I see a lot of dislikes for my comments.

If I would want likes I would write that she is such a strong woman and all bikers are bad. It seems that is what brings likes in this thread.

I rest my case, attention seeker.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

thai apologists are alive and well

next you will defend running a red light

On 8/22/2019 at 1:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Relax, take it easy!

So it's ok for you to break the law for your own convenience?  It doesn't matter how long you break the law for, five minutes or five years, it's all the same.

Let's hope that you never castigate anyone else on here for breaking laws that they choose to break or rebuke the RTP for not enforcing the law.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, meand said:

We do not have a crusader here. 

What happened was she directed a motorbike that had two children on it down a curb and directly into moving traffic, all because she was apparently too busy to move being occupied by her phone. Pure class. 

She's not directing vehicles into the traffic, she's obstructing their use of the pavement.  What would happen if that bike ploughed into a family with two children walking along the pavement?

25 minutes ago, justin case said:

thai apologists are alive and well

next you will defend running a red light

No!

And if you don't see the difference between running a red light and riding slowly on the footpath then maybe think again.

In all my posts in this thread I only wrote I accept if riders do this from time to time and slowly and carefully without harassing pedestrians. 

On 8/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you think some laws should be enforced more than other laws?

Do you think rich people with big luxury cars should be allowed to ignore traffic rules and poor people with motorcycles must follow the laws?

Fact is that streets are full of cars. If there would be i.e. 10% less cars then there would be a lot more space for motorcycles.

Do you think that people with motorbikes should be allowed to ignore traffic laws just so they don't have to walk to the ATM?

Fact is that the pavements are full of pedestians. If there were 100% fewer hypocrites riding their motorbikes on the pavement to the ATM then there would be a lot more space for pedestrians.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

I watched with pride and astonishment as my Thai GF stood her ground with a motorcyclist attempting to enter a narrow footpath into a roofed market no less. The cyclist continued  by slipping past her and promptly losing the side mirror on her bike as a concrete post sheared it off.

I wanted to shout and give a fist pump  but contained myself as my GF never even turned her head, knowing what would inevitably happen to the motorbike. Likewise the cyclist never said a word or slowed down, but continued into the market to endanger the people there; her attempt at saving face I suppose. A vendor sitting there watched the episode with a blank face.

I asked my GF later about it and she calmly replied that she had  the right of way and the cyclist was wrong to be there.

I wouldn't call her a crusader at all but she made a point very elegantly I thought.

Will the offending cyclist think twice before attempting the same maneuver again? Does she regret not hitting my GF instead of losing her mirror? Impossible to say.

And so it goes in the Kingdom.

Interesting post.

I am often at the Klong Toey fresh market and often motorcycles drive through the small paths which are just about wide enough for maybe two people next to each other.

But I never saw any Thai person complaining about them.

I wouldn't use my bike in there because it's just too narrow. But if vendors and shoppers don't have a problem with them then that's the way it is. Live and let live. ???? 

Archived