BANGKOK
Dolphin99

Is all of Thailand polluted now?

I see increasing reports of chemical runoff in small cities, cancer rates exploding, and hear that nearly all beaches have regular waves of debris that blanket the beach in rubbish due to the size of the garbage masses in the ocean.

Even in tiny islands in less developed areas of asia, I see people complaining about masses of garbage washing ashore and dying coral.

Is it becoming so bad that quickly?  My last time in the area was only a couple years ago, but I saw nearly no garbage (but it might have been cleaned) and the coral was only dead in populated areas.

My last visit to the Phils, remote areas were completely pristine.  That said, Thailand is much more developed than the Phils.

I have been working in China and the pollution is better hidden outside of Beijing than you might think given the coverage it gets.  I hope Thailand isn't turning into China...  I guess we can always flee to Indonesia or the Philippines... but in most other regards Thailand is much more pleasant.  I was planning on settling in Thailand, but the thought of all this getting worse bothers me.  Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its worse than  you can imagine.  A horror movie.  Garbage on all the beaches and around the resort areas, toxic food in the supermarkets.  Im dreading November to February again, the whole of Asia gets blanketed in a thick smog owing to open burning of agricultural fields.  The education level is terrible.  On the one day a month they have no plastic bags in supermarkets I hear people in lines complain, even though everything else is layered in 3 layers of thick plastic.  Paradise lost.  We holiday in places like Australia now.  Its a shock how clean our own countries are by comparison.

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/environment/71453-thailand-ranked-23rd-most-polluted-country.html

3 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Im dreading November to February again, the whole of Asia gets blanketed in a thick smog owing to open burning of agricultural fields.

Not the whole of Asia, just Thailand.

I took a trip to Saigon, then Phnom Penh to escape it and they were totally clear.

Flying back into Bangkok, it was as if there was a yellow blanket across the country from BKK to CNX.

• Sad 1

So you believe those countries have no pesticide and herbicide problems? Or farm run off or factory run off?

The American president is good at reversing what Reagen did. Wasn't he the one who created the EPA? Anything that's good for business is good for the U.S. Huh?