15" Disgrace now banned on all Flights!

MamaSan

Without any warning, my "top of the line" Pro recently shut itself down and refused to budge.  

Genius service in Chiang Mai wanted a "minimum" of 2 weeks to send it to BKK to verify that it qualified for the 15" mid-2015 recall (despite the battery's clearly bulging size) - not an acceptable timeframe to me - and a dubious one at that...  

'Had it repaired in 3 days locally (battery replacement/logic board repair) to the tune of 12K with no reimbursement in sight.

Now that it's running again and I can read the serial number, the recall site rejects the request for battery replacement under recall because it has already been replaced!  Circular logic -  and round and round we go...

Today, I read that this tainted jewel in the crown of almighty Mac has been banned on all flights in Thailand due to the unpredictability of battery explosions!!!

http://www.thansettakij.com/content/407789

Although it's clear Apple does not provide anything remotely resembling reasonable customer service here in Thailand, can it REALLY afford such a safety and PR debacle?  I have never been so embarrassed to own an Apple product!

• 3 weeks later...

Well its pretty clear anywhere in the world for just about any product you can think of it needs to go back to the manufacturer, 2 weeks isnt such a big deal.

By the way i have been using Apple since 2010, iPhone 4,5,6+, 7 now Xr, iMac, 2 ipads and 13inch macbook pro....Ipod too....nothing has ever gone worng with any of them.

35 minutes ago, xvend said:

the ban only applies to macs sold in the USA which Im assuming yours is and also Apple Thailand would not repair anyways because of this. 

That's a common failing among most/all of the tech manufacturers -- not honoring valid warranties when the item involved was purchased in a different country.

AFAIK, those who honor tech warranties internationally are pretty few and far between.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, MamaSan said:

I have never been so embarrassed to own an Apple product!

It's true. Apple owners don't notice other how people visibly cringe when they see someone at Starbucks opening up their crapbook, pro or iwhatever.

I honestly think the gild is coming off this lily.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

ASUS do.

Not Apple I know but that's life, eh?

Nor Samsung as well.  In the past, I've had to ck here about service for U.S. purchased Samsung phones from the local Samsung repair center. And they won't even work on them, under warranty or not, even if I wanted to pay for the repair.

Archived