Tax ID - the Jomtien experience

1 hour ago, johng said:

Excellent thanks for that report...how much was the certificate of residence at immigration and they ask what you wanted it for ?

I got a spare one in January. 300 baht and not much grief involved. Is it 400 if you just get one?

I think it might be.

I thought it might have been 'too old' but the taxman said it's ok.

Went to Immigration on Tuesday for 90 day report. Place was bordering on empty, relatively speaking. Now might be a good time to get a Cert of Residence.

• Like 1

"Gave me back one of each passport and visa copy, and the printed Tax ID.  I signed his register"

When they printed the "TAX ID" were you handed a card or a piece of paper? I am trying to stop withholding tax at my bank and although I have previously filed and received a refund the bank manager would not accept the Tax ID number from my refund paperwork.  He says I need to go to the tax office and get an tax ID CARD but I never remember getting a card when I filed for a tax number 3 years ago.

15 hours ago, johng said:

Excellent thanks for that report...how much was the certificate of residence at immigration and they ask what you wanted it for ?

I remember being given the run around by Jomtien over this. I was told by the revenue office I needed a COR, drove all the way from Banglamung to Jomtien. There I was told I needed a letter from the revenue dept stating a COR was needed by them to get a tax ID. Back to the Banglamung revenue office where they told me they do not do letters. Went home to chew bricks! Found an old copy of a COR I had taken at driving licence renewal, the revenue office took that. 

Maybe the solution is to tell immigration you are renewing a licence!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Maybe the solution is to tell immigration you are renewing a licence!

The certificate of residence doesn't state a purpose as far as I'm aware,  unless they recently changed something.

if you say renewing a licence they may want to look at the "old licence" and then see its not near expiry date

so maybe  opening a bank account or getting a first time drivers licence would be better ?

residence_2.thumb.jpg.82bf349aea3856d3fd049c25fc94230a.jpg

15 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

Do you need to have done a 90-day report to get a Certificate of Residence from Jomtien Immigration? I have never stayed long enough to have done a 90-day report.

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Not in my experience at Jomtien. My C of R was obtained before my first 90 day.

15 hours ago, livram said:

"Gave me back one of each passport and visa copy, and the printed Tax ID.  I signed his register"

When they printed the "TAX ID" were you handed a card or a piece of paper? I am trying to stop withholding tax at my bank and although I have previously filed and received a refund the bank manager would not accept the Tax ID number from my refund paperwork.  He says I need to go to the tax office and get an tax ID CARD but I never remember getting a card when I filed for a tax number 3 years ago.

I got a piece of paper. Next stop was Bangkok Bank. No problems at the bank.

15 hours ago, livram said:

You should get a card when you apply. Got one in Tax Office in Bkk, Pathumwan.

34 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I never remember getting a card when I filed for a tax number 3 years ago.

57 minutes ago, oznomad said:

I got a piece of paper. Next stop was Bangkok Bank. No problems at the bank.

Yes mine is a fairly flimsy piece of yellow paper - certainly not card, with details printed on it.

I went through this a couple of years ago to reclaim tax from bank interest, did it all in one day including the claim, they said I would get a cheque in the post in about 2 weeks.

Waited a month - nothing, went back to see what was going on

They then directed me to an office upstairs were I filled in another form (financial declaration I believe) once I did that cheque came about 2 weeks later

27 minutes ago, smedly said:

I went through this a couple of years ago to reclaim tax from bank interest, did it all in one day including the claim, they said I would get a cheque in the post in about 2 weeks.

Waited a month - nothing, went back to see what was going on

They then directed me to an office upstairs were I filled in another form (financial declaration I believe) once I did that cheque came about 2 weeks later

I had exactly the same experience. Had to go there again and fill in a Form on the 4th floor. I also got as tax ID document just 2 pieces of paper and no card. Since I own my condo I showed them the blue book and this purchase certificate I received at the land office when I bought the condo. No residence certificate was needed in my csse. 

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

"... and then fined me for not filing an income tax report the previous year! "

Details matter. Wasn't the fine something like 100 baht?

I think it was more like 500 baht - they said they could fine me more but they were being nice.

They gave me a receipt for it as well.

6 hours ago, topt said:

Yes mine is a fairly flimsy piece of yellow paper - certainly not card, with details printed on it.

I got my number early this year (Banglamung, Chonburi) and after some aggravation at the bank the revenue office said they no longer issue the cards. The flimsy bit of paper I had, a receipt, was enough at one branch but not for the first one I visited (must have card!)

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I got my number early this year (Banglamung, Chonburi) and after some aggravation at the bank the revenue office said they no longer issue the cards. The flimsy bit of paper I had, a receipt, was enough at one branch but not for the first one I visited (must have card!)

Must have stopped some time ago as I acquired mine about 4 years ago unless it was something you had to ask for.

Just got my new Tax ID from the Jomtien Revenue Dept today.

Just had to show my passport.

They photocopied the following pages from my passport:
Face page
Visa (I had an unexpired O-A visa)
Entry stamp (1 year based on OA)
TM30 Notification Receipt

No Certificate of Residence was asked for. I assume it was because I had the TM30 receipt.

I received the small yellow square of paper with the 13 digit tax ID number on it and other piece of computer generated paper which I have no idea what it is.

Anyway, I got what I wanted so I went straight to my banks and asked them to update my accounts with my tax ID to prevent the 15% withholding tax being deducted at the next interest payment.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

Anyway, I got what I wanted so I went straight to my banks and asked them to update my accounts with my tax ID to prevent the 15% withholding tax being deducted at the next interest payment.

You can do that? Which bank? 

I was expecting I would have to submit a tax form again and receipts for tax paid from my bank next January. (Too late now, already had tax deducted this year).

Not convinced your TM30 receipt had any impact, did they copy it?

Here is a pic of a Tax ID card, is this what they gave you?

The other may have simply been a receipt, I tried to use that but got knocked back at the Mall at KTB.

Edited by jacko45k
Pic removed

I submitted my tax ID to Krungsri and Kasikorn.

Krungsri happily accepted it and updated my account and confirmed that future interest payments will not have the 15% withheld unless the interest exceeds 20,000. The interest payments are made monthly so I will find out at the end of September if it worked.

Kasikorn appeared to be confused about what I wanted and gave me a withholding tax certificate for the June 2019 tax withheld which I did not ask for. However she did appear to update my account with the tax ID. On quizzing her on the subject of future withholdings she appeared to not know and she said it will be deducted. The next Interest payment will be in December so I will find out then.

The picture you showed in your post is identical to the document I was given.

When I applied for the tax ID, they did indeed photocopy the TM30 receipt. I know because the made me sign all the photocopies. The tax officer also made a point of verbally confirming with me that the address on the TM30 receipt was indeed my current address.

• Thanks 1

You can do that? Which bank? 
I was expecting I would have to submit a tax form again and receipts for tax paid from my bank next January. (Too late now, already had tax deducted this year).

Not convinced your TM30 receipt had any impact, did they copy it?

Here is a pic of a Tax ID card, is this what they gave you?
The other may have simply been a receipt, I tried to use that but got knocked back at the Mall at KTB.

20190405_141951.thumb.jpg.343bd53b0867b5948725f21264b691c6.jpg
With regard to the picture, your tax ID is the string of 13 digits on the third line of text. The other piece of paper does not have those essential numbers

4 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

confirming with me that the address on the TM30 receipt was indeed my current address.

My TM30 "Receipt of Notification" -- from the hardcopy TM30 fill in the blanks form -- has no address on it. What address, then, were you affirming -- possibly a household computer printout receipt?

My TM30 "Receipt of Notification" -- from the hardcopy TM30 fill in the blanks form -- has no address on it. What address, then, were you affirming -- possibly a household computer printout receipt?
My TM30 receipt has my address handwritten in the bottom left quadrant of the slip. It was handwritten there by Immigration.

You are correct in saying that the template has no pre-printed area reserved for an address.

• 4 weeks later...

I submitted my tax ID to Krungsri and Kasikorn.

Krungsri happily accepted it and updated my account and confirmed that future interest payments will not have the 15% withheld unless the interest exceeds 20,000. The interest payments are made monthly so I will find out at the end of September if it worked.

I am pleased to report that I have received my September interest payment from Krungsri and for the first time there was no 15% withholding tax deducted from the account. So registering your tax id definitely works.

• Like 1