Chiang Mai’s red cars boiling mad at Grab

snoop1130

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, happy chappie said:

So you can modify a pick up into a overloading death trap that's not designed to carry more than 4-5 passengers and not recommended by the manufacturer into a taxi with no problems.

Good question .

Thank you for putting it ... Next one? :crazy:

When a vehicle is substantially modified, are the insurance still available for this type of vehicle?

We can say the same thing about saleng, these millions of motorcycles modified and transformed into side car to transport goods but which often transport people.
Can they be insured?
Moreover it seems that this type of vehicle transforms is illegal in Thailand and can not be registered ..

But what are the police doing ?

I agree that if GRAB isnt legal, then that’s a valid issue and complaint by the red bus/car side... to that end, I’d agree with that position.

I also think - for the most part - *regulated* and fair competition is an overall good thing for the consumer. So I’m “pro-GRAB” to that end... but I DO think that it’s incumbent on the government to: a) make it legal under applicable law, to operate a GRAB-like option, and b) insure that the proper licensing, insuring etc of any GRAB-like business is in line with any current operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In Bangkok, many taxi drivers use Grab to get fares, why can’t the songthaews in Chiang Mai do the same?

Maybe it’s because they can be rated for quality, banned for rudeness or bad service, and the app records their activity which could be used by the tax authorities?

In some cases it's Thais doing the only job they're capable of doing (just) driving a pick-up.

it's the only way they can generate an income, along comes a new generation of up-to date Grab taxis, that you can pre-order on the internet and you have competition... something we all know Thais detest.

Some say it's taxi mafia protecting it's monopoly, others say it's operators too lazy to up-date to the modern requirements of customer service... it's a bit of both.

Let the customer choose.... and then let the taxis evolve or stay the same.. some like a cheap ride up the road, others want the extra's  lets keep a service for both !

Isn't there a choice of GRAB and GRAB ROT DAENG on the app?

So some red truck drivers do go through GRAB I presume.

The songtaews are licensed as they all have yellow plates. It seems that GRAB cars are not licensed to take passengers and therefore paying passengers would not be covered under their insurance if they got into an accident.

Ok, red cars are angry with grab drivers. But in that oh, you have to ask the question, why are people choosing grab over red cars. There's a reason for that. The cars are comfortable, the rides are usually not too expensive, the drivers are usually polite and courteous drivers, and you know how much you're going to pay before your trip even starts. When red car start to live up to the standards of grab perhaps they will get their customers back.

The range of comments are  quite interesting.

In my 7 years experience of visiting Chiang mai (twice a year) I've never been ripped off by a red bus, I just hand them a 20thb note and walk off.
At the airport they always try it on, but I just say 100thb and walk off to the next songthaew, inevitably the first driver usually says OK.
I have no doubt they would try it on for rides to places like tiger kingdom or the night safari for tourists.
And if we are going somewhere the driver thinks he/she can gouge the price on my Thai partner just harangues them to charge the correct price, insisting on honesty.

And other commentators are right, the songthaews aren't always there, especially in quiet places, it's a gap grab fills well.

It's a common human ailment, when they see a possible threat to their income they complain first before examining the possibility of working together harmoniously.

All the drivers have phones, perhaps the association could create a 'grab a red bus' app.!

It could even be made prepaid, just like UBER, that then eliminates the 'rip off'.!

My teenage daughter and 3 of her friends recently attended a function at the CMU convention centre which ended at 17:00 on a Sunday. There was a line up of songthaews out the front, and after asking 5 different drivers to take them to their accommodation at the back of the Uni, all refused, and according to my daughter, quite rudely. Daughter downloaded Grab app and, with her friends, had a nice trip in a Grab car.

Is it any wonder Songthaew drivers are feeling the pinch. 

15 hours ago, smedly said:

They just can't deal with healthy competition - they have had it good for so long ripping people off with inflated prices keeping the market to themselves 

Move on and get real, the public want value for money not a taxi mafia controlling everything

There are real issues to be solved. Mafia style operation is one, unfair competition is another. The real things is that Grab offer convenience, with not only searching for a transport from whatever small remote soi you are located, but also knowing the price of your trip in advance. That convenience is the key but private citizen providing such service and making income outside a legal structure is also wrong, unfair...    

Songthaew's are fine for towns located in the boonies but are not a practical means of public transportation in a city like Chiang Mai.  Who in their right mind wants to ride in the back of a dirty pickup truck when you can summons an air-conditioned clean vehicle.  Besides being driven by many times drunk individuals, the songthaews add to Chiang Mai's traffic congestion.

12 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

The range of comments are  quite interesting.

In my 7 years experience of visiting Chiang mai (twice a year) I've never been ripped off by a red bus, I just hand them a 20thb note and walk off.
At the airport they always try it on, but I just say 100thb and walk off to the next songthaew, inevitably the first driver usually says OK.
I have no doubt they would try it on for rides to places like tiger kingdom or the night safari for tourists.
And if we are going somewhere the driver thinks he/she can gouge the price on my Thai partner just harangues them to charge the correct price, insisting on honesty.

And other commentators are right, the songthaews aren't always there, especially in quiet places, it's a gap grab fills well.

It's a common human ailment, when they see a possible threat to their income they complain first before examining the possibility of working together harmoniously.

All the drivers have phones, perhaps the association could create a 'grab a red bus' app.!

It could even be made prepaid, just like UBER, that then eliminates the 'rip off'.!

YEs, exactly, Taxi should have application that give the same convenience as Grab. I was discussing this point with a taxi driver during my last ride home from Donmuang Airport. Convinience is the key. Fair competition also should be. And frankly speaking, meter rate in Thailand is way too low. This is one of the main reasons taxi will try to cheat. HOw can they make a living especially with the drop arrival in Thailand. My taxi driver told me that arrival is so low than now he has to wait minimum 3 hours to get client at airport...

The Government could solve the unequality mentioned about Taxi-License by charge Grab for each registered Driver a fee. Not a very complicated process and the Country anyway needs tax out of Business. In Thailand there is NO real Taxiservice - except Grab or Uber(was). The Taxi Meters rarely switch on the meter and Need to be catched where ever can find them. The Songtaew is the same bad,  walking or running in the heat or rain to find one if not live directly at the mainroad where they pass. Thats NO Taxi Service! Taxi Service means a way (call or app) to order them to come to the place where I need them and to bring me exactly to the place i want to go. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Grab is an excellent service...  the industry needs to evolve. 

But, the outstanding issue is that of licensing - Taxi Drivers and 'Red Car' drivers have to pay for a license to operate - it is this which make the competition unfair. 

IF Grab Drivers had to also pay for a license to operate the playing field would be even. 

Or, even better so, eradicate the Graf - why charge people to pay for a license to operate Taxi or Red car, but then also take measures to ensure the Taxi's and Red Cars are fully insured to carry passengers.

I can see how this is a little unfair for the Red Car drivers, but I have little sympathy given their aggressive and gang-like behavior, also doubt they are fully legal themselves. 

Their a bunch of worthless crooks. 

Years back we were in Kho Chang and witnessed a Songteaw driver, in his brand new vehicle, get physically beaten up while waiting at the at the wharf for a fare.He apparently hadn't paid his fee to being included amongst the chosen few.

There was no alternative to using a songteaw and the driver we finished up with was very happy to relate the reason why the man was assaulted

Not saying CM drivers are the same but some I would imagine are right on the edge.

15 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

These guys are operating like a mafia. I dont live in Chiang Mai anymore but even the thai thought the prices were insane. Its not grab drivers that should be shut out. The city siding with these guys is ridiculous...the only place you can get a real taxi is at the airport? Crazy for a city this size. Were well into the 21st century now! They have about 1000 songthaews too many.

I don't think airport taxis are real. No meters. They are obviously making big money. They mainly drive big SUVs. 150 baht for a short ride. They want 200 to return from my hotel.

In Chiang mai there are no "Metered taxi's", correction, there are however I have never seen one switched on.  My trip from the airport to Maejo is always around 450 Baht, Grab will do the same trip around 350.  If I want to take my local Green truck to the city, I give him 40 Baht however the service sometime takes an hour for one to pass by.  I either have to plan the hour or take grab.  I take grab home at night and even at midnight, the trip is around 200 Baht.

Anyone that thinks the taxi business (or any other commercial activity involving a lot of ‘little people’) isn’t a mafia controlled enterprise hasn’t lived in Asia very long, or if they have might go by the name Pollyanna. So Grab is declared illegal - who is likely to get a cut from the taxi business? Those in powerful positions and the one organisation that seems to have sticky fingers in almost every ‘enforceable’ occupation. Any chance that will change? Not as long as my  bum points towards the ground..........

Archived