BANGKOK
snoop1130

Chiang Mai’s red cars boiling mad at Grab

12 hours ago, happy chappie said:

So you can modify a pick up into a overloading death trap that's not designed to carry more than 4-5 passengers and not recommended by the manufacturer into a taxi with no problems.

Good question .

Thank you for putting it ... Next one? :crazy:

When a vehicle is substantially modified, are the insurance still available for this type of vehicle?

We can say the same thing about saleng, these millions of motorcycles modified and transformed into side car to transport goods but which often transport people.
Can they be insured?
Moreover it seems that this type of vehicle transforms is illegal in Thailand and can not be registered ..

But what are the police doing ?

Get rid of the Thai Taxi-Mafia would be a step FORWARD.
Rather than 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

• Like 1

I agree that if GRAB isnt legal, then that’s a valid issue and complaint by the red bus/car side... to that end, I’d agree with that position.

I also think - for the most part - *regulated* and fair competition is an overall good thing for the consumer. So I’m “pro-GRAB” to that end... but I DO think that it’s incumbent on the government to: a) make it legal under applicable law, to operate a GRAB-like option, and b) insure that the proper licensing, insuring etc of any GRAB-like business is in line with any current operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Who thought up this bizarre name, "red cars"? It's a poor description and anyway what's wrong with "songthaew", or if you must, the Pattaya name, "Baht Bus"?

It is straightforward really...people like a decent ride for a fair price...

• Like 1

In some cases it's Thais doing the only job they're capable of doing (just) driving a pick-up.

it's the only way they can generate an income, along comes a new generation of up-to date Grab taxis, that you can pre-order on the internet and you have competition... something we all know Thais detest.

Some say it's taxi mafia protecting it's monopoly, others say it's operators too lazy to up-date to the modern requirements of customer service... it's a bit of both.

Let the customer choose.... and then let the taxis evolve or stay the same.. some like a cheap ride up the road, others want the extra's  lets keep a service for both !

I find the grab is convenient, and I can see the fare on my phone before I take the ride. There it is, that's the price.

• Like 2

Isn't there a choice of GRAB and GRAB ROT DAENG on the app?

So some red truck drivers do go through GRAB I presume.

The songtaews are licensed as they all have yellow plates. It seems that GRAB cars are not licensed to take passengers and therefore paying passengers would not be covered under their insurance if they got into an accident.

• Haha 1

Ok, red cars are angry with grab drivers. But in that oh, you have to ask the question, why are people choosing grab over red cars. There's a reason for that. The cars are comfortable, the rides are usually not too expensive, the drivers are usually polite and courteous drivers, and you know how much you're going to pay before your trip even starts. When red car start to live up to the standards of grab perhaps they will get their customers back.

• Like 1

The range of comments are  quite interesting.

In my 7 years experience of visiting Chiang mai (twice a year) I've never been ripped off by a red bus, I just hand them a 20thb note and walk off.
At the airport they always try it on, but I just say 100thb and walk off to the next songthaew, inevitably the first driver usually says OK.
I have no doubt they would try it on for rides to places like tiger kingdom or the night safari for tourists.
And if we are going somewhere the driver thinks he/she can gouge the price on my Thai partner just harangues them to charge the correct price, insisting on honesty.

And other commentators are right, the songthaews aren't always there, especially in quiet places, it's a gap grab fills well.

It's a common human ailment, when they see a possible threat to their income they complain first before examining the possibility of working together harmoniously.

All the drivers have phones, perhaps the association could create a 'grab a red bus' app.!

It could even be made prepaid, just like UBER, that then eliminates the 'rip off'.!

• Like 1

My teenage daughter and 3 of her friends recently attended a function at the CMU convention centre which ended at 17:00 on a Sunday. There was a line up of songthaews out the front, and after asking 5 different drivers to take them to their accommodation at the back of the Uni, all refused, and according to my daughter, quite rudely. Daughter downloaded Grab app and, with her friends, had a nice trip in a Grab car.

Is it any wonder Songthaew drivers are feeling the pinch. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

They just can't deal with healthy competition - they have had it good for so long ripping people off with inflated prices keeping the market to themselves 

Move on and get real, the public want value for money not a taxi mafia controlling everything

There are real issues to be solved. Mafia style operation is one, unfair competition is another. The real things is that Grab offer convenience, with not only searching for a transport from whatever small remote soi you are located, but also knowing the price of your trip in advance. That convenience is the key but private citizen providing such service and making income outside a legal structure is also wrong, unfair...