Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Chiang Mai’s red cars boiling mad at Grab

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Steve Mepham said:

I also find it hard to believe that Grab can run an all singing all dancing insurance policy that covers ALL RISKS for anybody being carried in a vehicle ordered on their App, the costs would be astronomical.

 

Why would they, in the real world it works like this:

 

You get your personal transport license, passing a test at a government facility, takes no more than a day

You get your business vehicle insurance, like every other limousine driver - AOT comes to mind

 

Now you are allowed to transport people from A to B - every chauffeur has to do this, best example an AOT driver or one of the other 1000 minivan companies.

 

Grab and co can easily check this paperwork, it's a non issue in a functioning country.

 

Edited by ThomasThBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some people confuse red cars with tuk-tuk.

Ive been in CNX since 2012 and never had any problems with the red songtaew. Usually you pay around 20-30 bahts to go around the moat. I actually took one yesterday at 20:00 from Central Festival to Loi Kroh for 120 bahts (he initially charged me 30 bahts but i couldnt wait so he let me go 1 person for 120b). Another instance was a ride from Arcade Bus Station to Business Park THEN to Loi Kroh for 200 bahts (for 1 person) which is quite reasonable IMO. I dont think they have the best civilized approach in terms of getting customers but i wouldnt go as far as saying that theyre ripping people (at least from my experience).

Tuk-tuk on the other hand have been trying to scam people left and right for years. I remember two years ago a tuk-tuk offered me to go from Zoe Yellow to Central Festival for 800 bahts lmao. However, they did reduce their prices recently (probably because of the pressure theyre getting from competition such as Grab) and now to go from Arcade bus station to Nimman would be around 150 bahts while a Grab (depending on the time of the day) would be around 110 bahts. 

My best advice for people visiting would be to try to learn some thais words (dont need a whole lot, just a few that you can speak with confidence) and when you actually get a tuk-tuk/red car just tell them in thai where you want to go (that way it will show them that youre not a complete clueless of Thailand and that you have some knowledge/experience) and that way they wont try to charge you as high.

With that being said, i use Grab everyday though and never had any problems. Very fast, friendly (overall), convenient and cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Grab drivers should have a background check, a reasonable license fee, and proper insurance~problem solved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

GrabCar is the standard unlicensed car service offered by Grab.

Now everyone can be a taxi driver and everyone can be a "hotel" owner using airbnb.

Incompetent people do a job they fail to deliver.

What next - onine surgery or maybe selfmade online policemen?

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in CM and use Grab at least 10 time a week.  I have never paid over ฿100 for a trip and the prices are always consistent with the same trip being the same price.  The other night I was waiting to get a Grab and I could not locate it.  I was surprised to find the car was actually a Taxi Meter car.  Grab in CM has always been cheaper than the back breaking Tuk Tuks.  I also use the ฿20 city bus in CM if I am not in a hurry.  At 3 AM or so in the rain, Grab is always the better way to go.  The other advantage is that if you choose to, you don't have to have cash. It can just be charged to your preferred payment method. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

 

GrabCar is the standard unlicensed car service offered by Grab.

Now everyone can be a taxi driver and everyone can be a "hotel" owner using airbnb.

Incompetent people do a job they fail to deliver.

What next - onine surgery or maybe selfmade online policemen?

 

How is Grab failing to deliver?
Looking at their growth over the last year or so, it seems like theyre definitely doing something right.
Dont u think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Grab drivers can offer cheaper prices. They operate without a licence which has a cost to get and as they are illegal anyway they also don't have to pay taxes. 

I am curious what would happen in case you have an accident in one of those cars...

I am not against Grab, it is basically a good idea and it's just natural evolution of the job but they have to comply with rules and regulations and therefore employ cars and taxis that have a licence. 

They can offer their price and I am sure they will find taxis working for them as they are actually more expensive than the normal price (if the red car doesn't rip you off).

Taxis in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are actually ridiculously cheap (Pattaya and Phuket not but that's another issue) and it's funny how people don't complain to pay a 1000 baht bill in a bar but than complain to pay the taxi driver who has to wait around until 2 am just to bring drunken people home for mere 60 baht. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't these Songteaws ?  Why call them 'Red Cars' ?  They are buses not cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaneko86 said:

Of course Grab drivers can offer cheaper prices. They operate without a licence which has a cost to get and as they are illegal anyway they also don't have to pay taxes. 

I am curious what would happen in case you have an accident in one of those cars...

I am not against Grab, it is basically a good idea and it's just natural evolution of the job but they have to comply with rules and regulations and therefore employ cars and taxis that have a licence. 

They can offer their price and I am sure they will find taxis working for them as they are actually more expensive than the normal price (if the red car doesn't rip you off).

Taxis in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are actually ridiculously cheap (Pattaya and Phuket not but that's another issue) and it's funny how people don't complain to pay a 1000 baht bill in a bar but than complain to pay the taxi driver who has to wait around until 2 am just to bring drunken people home for mere 60 baht. 

1) grab isn't cheaper

2) of course they need to pay taxes, like everyone else who earns money. 😂 What do you think how much taxes am average taxi driver pays here 🙄

2) licenses cost nothing, this isn't new york

3) normal taxis drive too on grab 

4) if u have an accident in a red car or tuktuk ur brain gets prolly scattered all over the street, that's what happens. Lol what do u think happens if u hire a tuktuk and it crashes in a car? U win thr lottery? 

5) what are you even talking about, people LOVE grab because they don't get ripped off, that's it

6) couldn't be bothered to hire a taxi at night, they don't want to drive one anyway in bangkok 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grab provides a better cheaper service even some smart thais are changing to those jobs for driving jobs instead of the red songtow.they were a mafia of transport for a long time along with tuk tuks in cm.now they don,t like it and a fair price is charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaneko86 said:

I am curious what would happen in case you have an accident in one of those cars...

- Most of these cars used by Grab drivers are quite new, which means most of them will have class 1 insurance. This would of course not be valid because it was used commercially, but if you and the driver just say that you are friends, they will pay.

- When driving with Grab you are insured through Grab: https://www.grab.com/th/en/press/others/english-grab-provides-free-personal-accident-insurance-for-passengers-and-drivers/

I'm quite sure both of these insurances have more coverage than any insurance which a "rod daeng" or a tuktuk would have, a car is obviously also way safer. So if i should ever be involved in an accident i hope i will be sitting in a Grab car.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who defend their job opportunity from unfair competitors are taxi mafia.

Those who defend $15/hr minimal wage are trade union.

Double standards

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Those who defend their job opportunity from unfair competitors are taxi mafia.

Those who defend $15/hr minimal wage are trade union.

Double standards

 

That's like complaining that pizza deliveries on foodpanda are unfair to the local restaurant who refuses to sign up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, say I live close to central festival and want to go Nimman. How do I do that with a red car? It will take a long time and a lot of hassle. Ok, sample question with grab. Answer, I book the taxi on the app, they turn up, I hop in and away we go. 15 minutes after I'm at my destination. If there's no grab I'm not suddenly going to start to using tuk tuks and red cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

1) grab isn't cheaper

They can offer their price and I am sure they will find taxis working for them as they are actually more expensive than the normal price - copied from my first comment

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

2) of course they need to pay taxes, like everyone else who earns money. 😂 What do you think how much taxes am average taxi driver pays here 🙄

Hahaha is this sarcastic?

Surely the average taxi pays more than a grabcar who works completely in black and could be charged for that if he pays 1 satang as tax

 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

 

2) licenses cost nothing, this isn't new york

 

Prove please. Well than what's the problem for the grab car drivers to get one. 

 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

3) normal taxis drive too on grab 

 

Yes it's called grab taxi but the problem is grabcar.

 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

5) what are you even talking about, people LOVE grab because they don't get ripped off, that's it

If you ask the fare in advance and agree or use meter than where is the rip off? 

 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

6) couldn't be bothered to hire a taxi at night, they don't want to drive one anyway in bangkok 

? Plenty around

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...