Whats the easiest way change Tourist Visa to non O"

I have lived in Thailand for 13 years and am married with kids, i am now on a tourist visa as i dont stay in the country long enough to warrant a marriage visa, now my work contract has come to an end i need to get back on an O visa from a tourist, can i do this in Thailand or maybe savankhet ??  

13 minutes ago, wahpiangeh56 said:

What would the steps needed if i intend to retire in Thailand? apply for the OA Visa from the country im curently staying at?

An OA visa, though very useful, is usually difficult to get other than in your passport country.. Unless you are planning to go home, easiest is probably to arrive as a tourist, and apply for a conversion to non immigrant entry for purposes of retirement at an immigration office in Thailand. To do this, the main requirement is 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, with proof that the money was transferred from outside Thailand. (There are actually other ways to qualify for the conversion, but this is now the most reliable.) 

If you have a 60 days Tourist Visa TR, after 30 days you can convert it to a 90 days Non-Immigrant 0 for 2000 Baht. Then after 60 days you extend it 1 year for 1900 Baht.

If you just have a 30 days visa exempt,just extend it 30 days at the nearest immigration office, and then start the conversion at once,after extend it 1 year. 

Then the total cost will be 1900 + 2000 + 1900 Baht. 

You dont need an agent for this. Just ask for what documents you need at the Immigration office. Dont listen to silly advices.

Edited by Max69xl
typo
  • Like 1

Just go to the immigration for a change of visa. Cost is around 2000 baht. They need double copies of your passport, 400000 baht deposit for 2 months on a bank account , booklet , certificate from the bank, handwritten plan of your house, 3 pictures , your document about your rent ( lease , ...) change of visa form. Sign all doc and copies and write your name on the back of your ID. They may ask you more form for your children so do this well in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wahpiangeh56 said:

What would the steps needed if i intend to retire in Thailand? apply for the OA Visa from the country im curently staying at?

Has nothing to do with OP. You could apply for non O-A in your own country or non o based on retirement at consulate outside los. 

14 minutes ago, 50soon said:

Just go to the immigration for a change of visa. Cost is around 2000 baht. They need double copies of your passport, 400000 baht deposit for 2 months on a bank account , booklet , certificate from the bank, handwritten plan of your house, 3 pictures , your document about your rent ( lease , ...) change of visa form. Sign all doc and copies and write your name on the back of your ID. They may ask you more form for your children so do this well in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You don't need that kind of money for the conversion from TR Visa to a Non-immigrant O. But you need the money in the bank 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension, the sum is >400k based on marriage and >800k based on retirement,or >65k monthly if using the pension method.

6 hours ago, wahpiangeh56 said:

You don't need the O-A, you can just apply for a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement. After 60 days in Thailand,you apply for a 1 year extension for 1900 baht at the local Immigration. But you also have to meet the requirements,>800k in the bank or >65k monthly from pension.

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You don't need that kind of money for the conversion from TR Visa to a Non-immigrant O. But you need the money in the bank 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension, the sum is >400k based on marriage and >800k based on retirement,or >65k monthly if using the pension method.

For the retirement option do you need proof that it came from outside Thailand ?

1 minute ago, graeme72 said:

For the retirement option do you need proof that it came from outside Thailand ?

No, the 800k needs to be in a Thai bank in a savings or FD account... even foreign currency deposit is acceptable providing it is 800k baht equivalent and above. The money must be accessible and not locked in. No proof it came from overseas is required at that stage, simply it has been there for 2 full months. 

This is Thailand, and everyone has a different experience when dealing with immigration...   555

I am currently in the process of converting my tourist (non-visa) to a 90-day non-immigrant "O". In my case - they wanted the 800k in a Thai bank, and proof that it came from overseas. They also wanted a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance. I got this one day, then went to immigration at 07:00 the next day as they had recommended. They were satisfied with the letter from the previous day, but they wanted the passbook updated that day (the day of submission). Since the bank was not open yet, I was able to do this at an ATM.

They were finally satisfied with all my paperwork and accepted the application and fee. It takes 3 weeks to process, and I am currently in that 3-week waiting period. Hopefully, it will come through, but one never knows until one has it in hand.

I went to the immigration department to ask about requirements, and they gave me the attached document. This is what they wanted from me, in order to convert my visa.

Thai_Visa_Conversion_Requirements_20190809.pdf

Edited by Av8rDave
Additional information

2 hours ago, graeme72 said:

If you already have the money in the bank,you just need the bank letter (bank guarantee) from your bank,and copies of your bank book.

It's not same as using the >65k monthly and showing immigration they are foreign transfers.

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you already have the money in the bank,you just need the bank letter (bank guarantee) from your bank,and copies of your bank book.

It's not same as using the >65k monthly and showing immigration they are foreign transfers.

If your doing a "conversion" to non o from either ve or tourist visa at Thai imm you need show money in bank came from outside of los. 

If obtaining non o at some Thai consulate eg Vientiane, there is no requirement to demonstrate where funds came from.

• Like 1