Immigration to Britain falls to five-year low ahead of Brexit: ONS

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

First time I have read about 3 times, every other time I've seen this area spoke about I have only ever heard about doing it once again after 2.5 years, never after 5 years. It really is a huge effort to get any foreign spouse back there isn't it.

Prior to 2012 the qualifying period for ILR was two years, and earlier than that when my wife came to the UK with me it was just one year. No FLR application required, either (unless one entered as a fiance when one was required after the marriage).

Once they have ILR the foreign partner can remain in the UK if the marriage ends; unless the Home Office can prove the ILR was obtained by deception, so I don't have a problem with the qualifying period for ILR being increased to 5 years as I believe this helps in deterring marriages of convenience. Keeping up the pretence of a marriage for 5 years is a lot harder than doing so for 2 years, which in turn was harder than doing so for just 1 year.

I don't really have a major problem with the couple having to show the relationship is still extant by the foreign partner making a FLR application after 2.5 years living in the UK.

It's the iniquitous financial requirement and the exorbitant, blatantly profiteering application fees I object to.  

But I fear we may be wandering too far off topic; so if you want to discuss this further maybe we should do so in the Visas and migration to other countries forum before we incur a mod's wrath!

14 hours ago, superal said:

It seems so unjust to have imposed the minimal income level on UK nationalists .  It should be debated and repealed . I fail to understand why the spouse does not have their earnings potential considered . Even a restriction of DSS benefits could have been applied . I would like to hear how TM qualified the 18600 pounds income when the state pension for a married couple is at best around 12000 pounds .

This act along with the expats frozen pension nonsense need to be brought to the fore . I wonder if BJ and new H/S Priti Patel may be more considerate ?

A debate has only two outcomes..  yes or no....you cant have a debate as you suggest debate and repealed.

What exactly is a UK nationalist?   Skinhead as in the old days?

Where does the frozen pension come in to this?

I have no idea of the UK requirements for  a foreign spouse but I can tell you the Australian requirements are pretty easy AFTER you get past the first hurdles. And they are very intrusive.

My missus had no problems. But bucket loads of documentation.

Try to get a thirty year old hottie into Oz when you are 60 and have nothing more than a rented flat to your name....forget it. I imagine the UK is similar.

3 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

First time I have read about 3 times, every other time I've seen this area spoke about I have only ever heard about doing it once again after 2.5 years, never after 5 years. It really is a huge effort to get any foreign spouse back there isn't it.

Not for people who can afford it.

For an old bloke who met a honey in Thailand and had kids and hopes he can bring them back to the old country.....yeah he's in the <deleted>. What was he thinking ?? The taxpayer can pay for my holidays in the sun but now me and the wife and sprogs want you to pay as well.? No surprise the answer is you pay for it yourself old mate. Bad luck. Broken families...cry me a river..keep it in your pants old fella.

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

For an old bloke who met a honey in Thailand and had kids and hopes he can bring them back to the old country.....yeah he's in the <deleted>. What was he thinking ?? The taxpayer can pay for my holidays in the sun but now me and the wife and sprogs want you to pay as well.? No surprise the answer is you pay for it yourself old mate. Bad luck. Broken families...cry me a river..keep it in your pants old fella.

Sorry to hear that. Chin(s) up.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:16 AM, foxboy said:

So we are supposed to be delighted that it's ONLY 226,000 extra people yearly now?? Wow, can someone put the brakes on please

No happy the number is moving in the right direction i.e. down

On 8/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, 7by7 said:

As said, over 40% of British workers earn less than that.

But it's not just the amount. It's the way it's calculated, what's allowed and what isn't, what proof has to be supplied etc.

What was wrong with the pre 2012 requirement of proving a couple could support themselves without recourse to public funds? Nothing.

I own my house outright , no mortgage, but earn slightly less than the threshold.

This has no impact whatsoever as disposable income doesn't seem relevant.

I could be earning 20 grand a year paying 6-10 thousand per annum on mortgage or rent, 

yet deemed acceptable for that requirement.

It's a moot point as my lady says it's not worth coming to the UK at the moment as the 

pound is kaput!!

Sorry I didn't see the earlier post from 7by7 which said pretty much the same as me, but in a far better manner!

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Whilst you may very well be describing yourself, a survey conducted on a UK website for British/Thai couples showed that the average age difference was less than 6 years. 

No one I know has ever said that a British/immigrant couple should be able to rely on the taxpayer to support them. No one I know has any objection to them having to show they can support themselves without recourse to public funds; as my wife and I had to 20 years ago.

All we want is a fair system, which for reasons I have explained at length previously in this topic and elsewhere, I do not believe the current one to be.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Why not look on the non-EU migration ? 

Last statistics show more than 3 new non-EU migrants for 1 new EU migrant.

Stopping only EU migration would not even stop 1/4 of your immigration...

Don't worry. They will blame it on the EU too....

3 million Foreign Nationals in the UK  two million unregistered, Bring on Brexit,

And i like Mr Johnson's statement today, The People coming over the channel in boats are going to be sent back. To The safe Country they came from. 

On 8/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, 7by7 said:

Don't come the old rant of these people taking British jobs.

hahaha I didn't.

You are making some rather vacuous assumptions about MY thoughts and opinions.. or

perhaps you are just one of those liberal types that likes pointing the finger and calling everyone a bigot, racist, xenophobe, etc??? 

24 minutes ago, foxboy said:
On 8/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, 7by7 said:

Don't come the old rant of these people taking British jobs.

hahaha I didn't. 

But would you have followed the line of so doing by some whenever migrant workers are mentioned had I not forestalled you?

Based on

On 8/23/2019 at 6:16 AM, foxboy said:

So we are supposed to be delighted that it's ONLY 226,000 extra people yearly now?? Wow, can someone put the brakes on please

I suspect so.

24 minutes ago, foxboy said:

You are making some rather vacuous assumptions about MY thoughts and opinions.. or

perhaps you are just one of those liberal types that likes pointing the finger and calling everyone a bigot, racist, xenophobe, etc??? 

And you are doing the same as to mine.

Or perhaps you are just one of those alt-right types who likes to point the finger and call those who disagree with you tree hugging Muslim terrorist lovers etc..

See, I can make pathetically childish comments, too.

BTW, I see that you live in Pattaya. Are you Thai, or one of the many anti immigration immigrants who post on this board?

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

But would you have followed the line of so doing by some whenever migrant workers are mentioned had I not forestalled you?

Based on

I suspect so.

And you are doing the same as to mine.

Or perhaps you are just one of those alt-right types who likes to point the finger and call those who disagree with you tree hugging Muslim terrorist lovers etc..

See, I can make pathetically childish comments, too.

BTW, I see that you live in Pattaya. Are you Thai, or one of the many anti immigration immigrants who post on this board?

what a lot of utter drivel you post. No I don't live in Pattaya. You didn't 'forestall' anything, and I never even mentioned 'migrant workers'. This is all in your imagination. 

I simply made a comment to suggest that a year on year population growth of almost 1/4 million people was untenable for the UK. What is wrong with that??

2 minutes ago, foxboy said:

what a lot of utter drivel you post. No I don't live in Pattaya. You didn't 'forestall' anything, and I never even mentioned 'migrant workers'. This is all in your imagination. 

I simply made a comment to suggest that a year on year population growth of almost 1/4 million people was untenable for the UK. What is wrong with that??

He has an agenda. 

He can't see it but he believes that anyone who is not 100% in favour of immigration is against it, and therefore a racist.

Just now, Jip99 said:

He has an agenda. 

He can't see it but he believes that anyone who is not 100% in favour of immigration is against it, and therefore a racist.

I think you're probably right. He does seem to have his knickers in a twist over something ????

6 hours ago, foxboy said:

Getting a bit defensive, aren't you!

If you don't live in Pattaya then you had better change you profile!

foxboy

•  
  • foxboy
  • Members
  • 325 posts

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

He has an agenda. 

You do post a lot old pony.

Like Foxboy you are making assumptions based upon zero evidence.

Before you call up my remark "Or perhaps you are just one of those alt-right types who likes to point the finger and call those who disagree with you tree hugging Muslim terrorist lovers etc.." bear in mind it was made in response to him saying to me "

or

perhaps you are just one of those liberal types that likes pointing the finger and calling everyone a bigot, racist, xenophobe, etc???" and I followed my remark with "See, I can make pathetically childish comments, too."

You and he seem to belong to those on this board, of whom there are far too many, who are happy to throw unfounded insults at others but go red in the face and stamp their foot when others do the same to them! 

Archived