France's Macron tells Johnson: not enough time for a new Brexit deal

snoop1130

France's Macron tells Johnson: not enough time for a new Brexit deal

By William James, Michel Rose

4551.JPG

French President Emmanuel Macron welcomes British Prime Minister Boris Johnson before a meeting on Brexit at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, August 22, 2019. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron firmly told Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday that there was not enough time to negotiate a wholly new Brexit divorce deal.

On his first foreign trip since winning the premiership a month ago, Johnson warned German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Macron that they will face a potentially disorderly no-deal Brexit on Oct. 31 unless the European Union does a new deal.

Britain’s destiny lay in Johnson’s hands alone, Macron said, adding that while no-deal was not a scenario desired by the EU the bloc would be ready for such an eventuality.

“I want to be very clear: in the month ahead, we will not find a new withdrawal agreement that deviates far from the original,” the French leader said in the Elysee Palace courtyard alongside Johnson.

But he extended a hand to Johnson, adding: “Nobody is going to wait until Oct. 31 without trying to find a good solution.”

Johnson told Macron that he wanted a Brexit deal and believed it was still possible to reach one in time for the Oct. 31 deadline.

He said he had been “powerfully encouraged” by what he had heard from German Chancellor Angela Merkel during talks in Berlin on Wednesday.

“Let’s get Brexit done, let’s get it done sensibly and pragmatically and in the interests of both sides and let’s not wait until October 31,” Johnson said. “Let’s get on now in deepening and intensifying the friendship and partnership between us.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-22

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I admire Europe, the EU remains an undemocratic, corrupt and sclerotic cancer that in any self-aware person would be cut out and incinerated. The UK does not need a deal with the EU. It certainly does not need the toxic WA.

Hurrah!

Let's please get on with it.

(A lifelong friend arrived today and reports the mood there is that everyone is fed up to the back teeth with Parliaments behaviour and wants this nonsense over and done with).

On the button (as usual) 

4 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

As much as I admire Europe, the EU remains an undemocratic, corrupt and sclerotic cancer that in any self-aware person would be cut out and incinerated. The UK does not need a deal with the EU. It certainly does not need the toxic WA.

After all, the UK doesn't need needs unimpeded supply chains and unhindered access to European financial markets.

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

After all, the UK doesn't need needs unimpeded supply chains and unhindered access to European financial markets.

This isn't going to turn out well, for the Brits that is.

I sincerely hope Johnson is simply pretending to try and get the WA over the line to appease the likes of Hammond in the upcoming confidence vote and to distract/placate the avalanche of Remainers plotting to stop "No Deal".

There's a lot more wrong with that surrender treaty than the backstop. I always felt the backstop issue was fabricated by the EU/Remainers (May) as a distraction from the other terrible parts of the agreement, something that could be removed at the last minute as a "concession" from the EU to the UK to get the deal done. I'm still hoping I was wrong.

Hopefully Johnson is just stringing people along with this until we have a clean exit on 31 October. We should cut all ties that day and then if they want anything approaching 39 Billion they can offer us an extraordinarily good trade deal. If he is in fact stringing everyone along, that's certainly smarter than telling everyone your real plans (like Raab did with his prorogation plan) and giving Remainers plenty of advanced warning to plot against it.

18 minutes ago, bannork said:

Johnson behaving like the lout he is.

IMG_20190823_073807.jpg

It was a joke, Macron was kidding that it looked like a footstool so Johnson put his foot on it for a millisecond before taking it off again and raising his hand to acknowledge that he was messing about. It was all very good natured, but feel free to deliberately take the photo completely out of context and insult the British PM.

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Having just watched that clip I can confirm that the selective nature of this post/photo is utter baloney.

Where are the U.K. gentlemen ….. extinct like the Dino's ? 

I must admit , even  am not a fan of him , from  J.R.M  ...you wouldn't have a chance to take a snap picture  like this...

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It was a joke, Macron was kidding that it looked like a footstool so Johnson put his foot on it for a millisecond before taking it off again and raising his hand to acknowledge that he was messing about. It was all very good natured, but feel free to deliberately take the photo completely out of context and insult the British PM.

So …. it was Macron who trick him in to it....? Making Boris ridiculous…. well what a bad French President ….lol...

47 minutes ago, david555 said:

So …. it was Macron who trick him in to it....? Making Boris ridiculous…. well what a bad French President ….lol...

But BJ IS ridiculous, as is his "no deal" rhetoric when it's clear to almost anyone (apart from some people here) that it would be dreadful disaster. And those who think otherwise have yet to produce a convincing case for it.

9 minutes ago, flossie35 said:

But BJ IS ridiculous, as is his "no deal" rhetoric when it's clear to almost anyone (apart from some people here) that it would be dreadful disaster. And those who think otherwise have yet to produce a convincing case for it.

As always, it depends on one's perspective.

The "ridiculous" part is that it appears Boris is only looking for a slight re-wording of the appalling EU/May WAG re. the backstop - which he will then present as an entirely new and acceptable deal.....

Pre Brexit campaign of Boris of course was we will end up with a better deal out than in is this it then or have we got to wait a couple more months or will Corbunkel cobble together a Zimmer frame to oust him or will the EU cave in by the 14th of September would be good the last night of the proms so we can sing Rue Britannia and BoJo can wave his sand castle size union jack flag as we lock away our island for a decade as the rich aspirations claim we have never had it so good as the poor inevitably pay for it ????    

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

Hurrah!

Let's please get on with it.

(A lifelong friend arrived today and reports the mood there is that everyone is fed up to the back teeth with Parliaments behaviour and wants this nonsense over and done with).

On the button (as usual) 

Your life long friend isn’t telling you the truth.

The million plus people who recently protested in London against Brexit ought to have raised a question over your life long friend’s claim of ‘everyone want’s this over and done with’.

Perhaps they do, or perhaps you heard what you wanted to hear.

’Over and done with’ very logically includes, dumped.

Best wishes to your life long friend for a wonderful time in Thailand, s/he’ll undoubtedly notice the exchange rate, I hope it doesn’t dampen the fun.

2 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

The "ridiculous" part is that it appears Boris is only looking for a slight re-wording of the appalling EU/May WAG re. the backstop - which he will then present as an entirely new and acceptable deal.....

Or alternatively he’s making demands/promises that he knows can’t be met, choose any reason you wish for why.

Trying to discern Johnson’s intentions is made problematic by the fact he’s an inveterate liar.

His habit of not telling the truth is not the only concern, don’t dismiss the very real possibility that he simply does not know what he’s doing.

With Johnson fronting* this it is anyone’s guess what will happen, his words are not a reliable guide to his intentions.

(* it’s also anybody’s guess who’s actually running the show).

2 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Or alternatively he’s making demands/promises that he knows can’t be met, choose any reason you wish for why.

Trying to discern Johnson’s intentions is made problematic by the fact he’s an inveterate liar.

His habit of not telling the truth is not the only concern, don’t dismiss the very real possibility that he simply does not know what he’s doing.

With Johnson fronting* this it is anyone’s guess what will happen, his words are not a reliable guide to his intentions.

So you think Boris is seriously looking to leave the EU with no deal?

Personally I think he's looking for the same EU/May deal that changes nothing - other than a slight re-wording of the 'backstop'.....

I hope you're right, but doubt it....

8 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Personally I think he's looking for the same EU/May deal that changes nothing - other than a slight re-wording of the 'backstop'.....

I suspect you might be right, but then because it’s Johnson who knows.

Members of the ERG have stated they will voted against the deal, backstop or not.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1158030/Brexit-news-boris-johnson-erg-bbc-newsnight-no-deal-leave-eu-jacob-rees-mogg

Which begs the question, who’s running the show.

I’d be careful hoping I’m right, my assessment of Johnson includes the expectation he’ll dump Brexit altogether or opt for a second referendum if he believes that is best for Johnson.

He’s a liar, he can’t be trusted.

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Red (white and blue) meat for a 'no news' day...

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Red (white and blue) meat for a 'no news' day...

Liar who’s lies and being caught out lying are a matter of public record says he’s not a liar.

Learn from the past.

As somebody with a close up

personal view of a lying and philandering politician once said.

Well he would say that, wouldn’t he’.

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Johnson behaving like the lout he is.

IMG_20190823_073807.jpg

Not according to the BBC or some French newspapers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49440952

But Sky News political correspondent Tom Rayner offered a different perspective on the incident, saying it was part of a good-humoured exchange.

Image Copyright @RaynerSkyNews@RAYNERSKYNEWS
French media have made light of the incident, too.

"No, Boris Johnson did not insult France by putting his foot on the table in front of Emmanuel Macron," was the headline on a story by Le Parisien newspaper, which then outlines the light-hearted exchange between the two.

"Internet is quick to react - and sometimes overreact," it added.

The websites of the weekly L'Obs and FranceInfo radio similarly saw the funny side of the episode.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

Having just watched that clip I can confirm that the selective nature of this post/photo is utter baloney.

Macron is just cleaning off the poodle poop.

And Merkel had the flags in a different order.

56 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect you might be right, but then because it’s Johnson who knows.

Members of the ERG have stated they will voted against the deal, backstop or not.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1158030/Brexit-news-boris-johnson-erg-bbc-newsnight-no-deal-leave-eu-jacob-rees-mogg

Which begs the question, who’s running the show.

I’d be careful hoping I’m right, my assessment of Johnson includes the expectation he’ll dump Brexit altogether or opt for a second referendum if he believes that is best for Johnson.

He’s a liar, he can’t be trusted.

"Which begs the question, who’s running the show."

Big business and money is running the show...

Unfortunately the brit. electorate threw a spanner in the works that they are desperately trying to correct.....

Archived