BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

France's Macron tells Johnson: not enough time for a new Brexit deal

France's Macron tells Johnson: not enough time for a new Brexit deal

By William James, Michel Rose

4551.JPG

French President Emmanuel Macron welcomes British Prime Minister Boris Johnson before a meeting on Brexit at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, August 22, 2019. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron firmly told Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday that there was not enough time to negotiate a wholly new Brexit divorce deal.

On his first foreign trip since winning the premiership a month ago, Johnson warned German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Macron that they will face a potentially disorderly no-deal Brexit on Oct. 31 unless the European Union does a new deal.

Britain’s destiny lay in Johnson’s hands alone, Macron said, adding that while no-deal was not a scenario desired by the EU the bloc would be ready for such an eventuality.

“I want to be very clear: in the month ahead, we will not find a new withdrawal agreement that deviates far from the original,” the French leader said in the Elysee Palace courtyard alongside Johnson.

But he extended a hand to Johnson, adding: “Nobody is going to wait until Oct. 31 without trying to find a good solution.”

Johnson told Macron that he wanted a Brexit deal and believed it was still possible to reach one in time for the Oct. 31 deadline.

He said he had been “powerfully encouraged” by what he had heard from German Chancellor Angela Merkel during talks in Berlin on Wednesday.

“Let’s get Brexit done, let’s get it done sensibly and pragmatically and in the interests of both sides and let’s not wait until October 31,” Johnson said. “Let’s get on now in deepening and intensifying the friendship and partnership between us.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-22

As much as I admire Europe, the EU remains an undemocratic, corrupt and sclerotic cancer that in any self-aware person would be cut out and incinerated. The UK does not need a deal with the EU. It certainly does not need the toxic WA.

Hurrah!

Let's please get on with it.

(A lifelong friend arrived today and reports the mood there is that everyone is fed up to the back teeth with Parliaments behaviour and wants this nonsense over and done with).

On the button (as usual) 

4 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

As much as I admire Europe, the EU remains an undemocratic, corrupt and sclerotic cancer that in any self-aware person would be cut out and incinerated. The UK does not need a deal with the EU. It certainly does not need the toxic WA.

After all, the UK doesn't need needs unimpeded supply chains and unhindered access to European financial markets.

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

After all, the UK doesn't need needs unimpeded supply chains and unhindered access to European financial markets.

This isn't going to turn out well, for the Brits that is.

This isn't going to turn out well, for the Brits that is.

It’s getting better by the day for us Brits.

It's just posturing there will be a deal the EU has to be seen to make it hard less others will quickly follow

I sincerely hope Johnson is simply pretending to try and get the WA over the line to appease the likes of Hammond in the upcoming confidence vote and to distract/placate the avalanche of Remainers plotting to stop "No Deal".

There's a lot more wrong with that surrender treaty than the backstop. I always felt the backstop issue was fabricated by the EU/Remainers (May) as a distraction from the other terrible parts of the agreement, something that could be removed at the last minute as a "concession" from the EU to the UK to get the deal done. I'm still hoping I was wrong.

Hopefully Johnson is just stringing people along with this until we have a clean exit on 31 October. We should cut all ties that day and then if they want anything approaching 39 Billion they can offer us an extraordinarily good trade deal. If he is in fact stringing everyone along, that's certainly smarter than telling everyone your real plans (like Raab did with his prorogation plan) and giving Remainers plenty of advanced warning to plot against it.

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

Johnson behaving like the lout he is.

IMG_20190823_073807.jpg

Having just watched that clip I can confirm that the selective nature of this post/photo is utter baloney.

Nothing less than full umbilical severance will be acceptable in Oct. Anything less will see rules continuing to flow in UKs direction and taxpayers wedge vanishing in the other via a slight-of-hand con.

'No! No!No!'

18 minutes ago, bannork said:

Johnson behaving like the lout he is.

IMG_20190823_073807.jpg

It was a joke, Macron was kidding that it looked like a footstool so Johnson put his foot on it for a millisecond before taking it off again and raising his hand to acknowledge that he was messing about. It was all very good natured, but feel free to deliberately take the photo completely out of context and insult the British PM.

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Having just watched that clip I can confirm that the selective nature of this post/photo is utter baloney.

Where are the U.K. gentlemen ….. extinct like the Dino's ? 

I must admit , even  am not a fan of him , from  J.R.M  ...you wouldn't have a chance to take a snap picture  like this...

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

Where are the U.K. gentlemen ….. extinct like the Dino's ? 

I must admit , even  am not a fan of him , from  J.R.M  ...you wouldn't have a chance to take a snap picture  like this...

At least he's funny. Note that Macron laughs well too.

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It was a joke, Macron was kidding that it looked like a footstool so Johnson put his foot on it for a millisecond before taking it off again and raising his hand to acknowledge that he was messing about. It was all very good natured, but feel free to deliberately take the photo completely out of context and insult the British PM.

So …. it was Macron who trick him in to it....? Making Boris ridiculous…. well what a bad French President ….lol...