LGBT campaign loses fight in parliament for House panel on gender diversity

webfact

LGBT campaign loses fight in parliament for House panel on gender diversity

210862_%E0%B9%91%E0%B9%99%E0%B9%90%E0%B9

The House of Representatives on Thursday voted down a motion from a Future Forward MP to set up an additional House panel on gender diversity.

The House voted 365 to 101, including 70 from the Future Forward party, to reject the motion by Future Forward party-list MP Ms. Nateepat Kulasetthasit. The motion called for the setting up of a separate panel of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from the House Committee on the Affairs of Children, Women, the Elderly, the Disabled and Ethnic Groups.

After their defeat in the House, Future Forward party-list MP Tunwarin Sukhapisit told the media that, despite the failure, the move for the gender diversity panel represented the first major step in Thai history for the recognition of the rights of LGBT people in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/lgbt-campaign-loses-fight-in-parliament-for-house-panel-on-gender-diversity/

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am unsure of the purpose  for these panels.

Are they similar to “Advisory Councils” which bring advice to Ministers regarding needs of certain groups, or the affect of legislation on specific groups of individuals?

Are the panels made up from the elected members or from appointed community members?

Thais, in general, seem to be very accepting of the concept of "gender diversity". There are LGBT people in almost all walks of life, from store clerks, to school teachers, to TV personalities.  

I'm afraid that, once there are people demanding acceptance, this could change.

8 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

There's plenty of 'acceptance' as far as LGBTQWERTYs are concerned.

No special privileges for anyone.

Perhaps the role of the Panels are "advisory" regarding impacts of proposed legislation etc, and not about "special" privileges, they have them for people with disabilities/ageing and other "groups", hence my question about the role of the panels? 

" LGBTQWERTY "

I like that, gave me a chuckle

I support that whole group towards equality, but am concerned about remembering right letters. Like trying to remember random password to some site

7 minutes ago, Emdog said:

" LGBTQWERTY "

I like that, gave me a chuckle

I support that whole group towards equality, but am concerned about remembering right letters. Like trying to remember random password to some site

A sociologist professor friend, who taught gender politics, used the term "alphabet" community, and she was part of the "L" , so acceptable term for her

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

A sociologist professor friend, who taught gender politics, used the term "alphabet" community, and she was part of the "L" , so acceptable term for her

Huh? There is nothing offensive about the term alphabet community. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

You want to be gay, up to you. You want to dress up as a woman or cut your bits off that's up to you. I just don't you shouting it or waggling it (or not) in my face. 

You want to be straight, up to you. You want to dress up in cargo shorts and sandals with socks or do a plumber's crack bend, that's up to you. I just don't you shouting it or waggling it (or not) in my face. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You want to be straight, up to you. You want to dress up in cargo shorts and sandals with socks or do a plumber's crack bend, that's up to you. I just don't you shouting it or waggling it (or not) in my face. 

You want him to waggle his plumber's crack in your face?

Nothing against any of them.

But the problem is - give them a finger and they chop off your hand.

Be who you want to be, but allowing marriage, adopting kids or changing gender of your 4 year old (this happens in the US) should be not allowed. Changing gender of your kid that hasn't even hit teenage ages should be a crime.

19 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Be who you want to be, but allowing marriage, adopting kids or changing gender of your 4 year old (this happens in the US) should be not allowed. Changing gender of your kid that hasn't even hit teenage ages should be a crime.

Sounds to me that you have EVERYTHING against what you called them. You're against "them" having the same basic civil rights that you do. Stop posing as an ALLY. Not fooling anyone. The changing gender sensationalist accusation of toddlers BTW is total B.S. Nobody is giving sex hormones, doing sex change surgery, or changing government I.D.s to TODDLERS. 

So go ahead and keep your retrograde views on these issues, but please please stop acting like you're an ally. 

19 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Who is them??

You mean people who deserve equal rights, not "special rights", just equal rights.

The love given to children is not governed by sexual orientation, remember many same sex attracted people have their own biological children. Also many children are raised by single parents.

A substaintial (majority) amount of abuse and neglect before the courts is from heterosexual identified persons. Many of them married.

Where is your evidence of gender transitioning occurring to 4 year olds?  Children sometimes consider they are "in the wrong body" and identify as the opposite gender to the gender assigned at birth, but that does not involve puberty blockers or hormone replacement therapies, so please research and state facts, not unsubstantiated sensationalist muck.

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're against "them" having the same basic civil rights that you do.

Marriage is between male and female

Having kids is only possible between male and female

It's not a civil right if you not a male and female, as having kids isn't even possible.

Next step - I want to marry my dog, horse, or grandma. It's my civil right after all.

2 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

It's not a civil right if you not a male and female, as having kids isn't even possible.

Next step - I want to marry my dog, horse, or grandma. It's my civil right after all.

It has been a legal right for same sex couples to marry in many jurisdictions around the world FACT (even in some predominately catholic countries)

Yes pregnancy does take both genders chromosomes , but that does not preclude use of IVF, and other methods beyond vaginal intercourse

Lesbians' are females, gay males are males, so by your own illogical reasoning, civil rights deserved.

Feel free to join the 21st century anytime and improve your mind and values

33 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

You want to gay marry your horse? I hope you're not a bottom. 

Why so many protests? Look at the headlines on this forum:

Have you done stuff with ladyboys?

• I am straight and have had one or more sexual encounters with ladyboys - 62
  • I am a straight male and have NOT had any sexual experiences with ladyboys 138

Why always these arguments when more than 25% of TVF members have rogered a ladyboy? Is it the lack of commitment that scares people when it all become legal and normal? 

I am unsure of the reason for these panels.

Are they similar to “Advisory Councils” which bring advice to Ministers regarding needs of certain groups, or the affect of legislation on specific groups of individuals?

Are the panels made up from the elected members or from appointed community members?

3 hours ago, organicman said:

This is great news! Last thing we want is gay people poisoning the souls of children like they are in Western countries. 

Disney is currently making cartoons with gay material for pre schoolers is clearly child abuse!!! 

Some of the views expressed in this thread, show why a panel is required especially if the panel looks at EQUALITY legislation.

Archived