Hun Sen issues ultimatum to tycoons

geovalin

Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered members of the military and police forces who hold the honorary title Oknha, which translates to tycoon, to choose between their state positions or private titles. CPP spokesman Chhim Phal Virun said Mr Hun Sen issued the ultimatum during a closed-door CPP Central Committee meeting at the Koh Pich Convention Centre yesterday, where nearly 1,000 senior party members were present.

Mr Phal Virun said the ultimatum was especially made for members of the armed forces. “What Samdech Prime Minister ordered during the meeting is for all individuals to choose between the Oknha title and their position in the armed forces,” he said. “Some generals or colonels in the National Police, Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, and military police have Oknha titles. They now must choose.”

In 2017, Mr Hun Sen, who was president of the CPP, issued a sub-decree noting that anyone who wants the tycoon, or Oknha, title will need to contribute at least $500,000 to the government. Mr Phal Virun said the Defence and Interior Ministries are required to submit a list of tycoons working under each ministry to the Prime Minister’s office.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50636543/hun-sen-issues-ultimatum-to-tycoons/

26 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Could be describing the patronage society of ancient Rome with Hun Sen playing Julius Caesar.

Could be describing the patronage society of modern Phnom Penh with Hun Sen as Nero, playing the fiddle while Cambodia burns.:thumbsup:

This is quite puzzling, and does not add up, on the face of it. Hun Sen has been robbing his nation and his people for 34 years now. He is a serial killing thug gangster. He is worth billions of dollars, and so are his top generals and cronies. So, did someone act improperly? What exactly is going on here? It smells fishy, and is not at all what it appears to be. 

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is quite puzzling, and does not add up, on the face of it. Hun Sen has been robbing his nation and his people for 34 years now. He is a serial killing thug gangster. He is worth billions of dollars, and so are his top generals and cronies. So, did someone act improperly? What exactly is going on here? It smells fishy, and is not at all what it appears to be. 

Yeah agree Mike Must be an april fool joke come ab bit early. Bit like Al Capone saying to Baby face Nelson stop killing and robbing people so i can can do more myself

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

nothing to see at all, he just wants a few more billion for his off shore bank accounts, probably his eye is playing up or something and he was feeling a bit down

btw. i presume these army guys are on salleries of about $10,000 a year. you got to ask yourself how they can have a spare half million laying around just to spend on a pretentious sounding name. not many ways i can think of, aid from other countries, human trafficking, drug trafficking, illegal timber and animal trade, or owning pawn shops. I cant off hand think of any other money earners in cambodia. my bet is that the bulk of it comes from drug trafficking 

Archived