Australians and New Zealanders may soon be able to use Automatic Gates at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thought, either do away with the TM30 and 90 day reporting, or make it compulsory to do online after you fixed your CRAPPY computer system, and do away with extensions after 5 years, then send the majority of your IO's to Swampy opening extra counters and then some to Don......to easy, vote for me as next PM !

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

Interesting seeing that Thai passports are not supposed to be eligible - https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/smartgates/arrivals

You will see at the bottom of that page, last updated Nov2018.

Thailand wasnt on the list at arrivals but the list also said "and others"

It defiantly worked, I think it even put instructions up in Thai on the screen.

There may even be a joint announcement, always good for photo opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You will see at the bottom of that page, last updated Nov2018.

Thailand wasnt on the list at arrivals but the list also said "and others"

It defiantly worked, I think it even put instructions up in Thai on the screen.

There may even be a joint announcement, always good for photo opportunity.

I'll take your word for it (big of me, I know, I'm like that) but there's definitely been no announcement according to Mr Google

14 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Australia and New Zealand are part of the ASEAN Free Trade area, could be why ????

D

14 hours ago, catch104 said:

They are not member of ASEAN

14 hours ago, catch104 said:

They are members in APEC. Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation. There are 21 country members. I have an APEC card which allows me into any of the countries without a visa for 90 days at a time.

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

well, they are hangeronerers, tugging onto ASEANs apron strings, suckling for all that it's worth;  a sort of 6th and 7th Amendments clauses, operating under the special case banner AANZFTA

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'd suspect that Australia and New Zealand may well be negotiating opening their own smart gates to Thais

No. We still intend to send them though the gates marked "dumb".

It's the Aussie humour and something about sheep.

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'd suspect that Australia and New Zealand may well be negotiating opening their own smart gates to Thais

Already open. Thais have been able to use smart gates in Australia for some time. About time the Thais reciprocated.

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already as Thai passport holders can the automatic gates in Australia.

Not the last time we visited, but that was 16 months ago, I guess.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Discrimination

Where are the automatic gates for Germans, Americans, Brits?

Exactly.

Of course my lovely country the USA doesn't have the passports with chips yet and I think that's required to make those gates work. Thailand does and has for awhile now.

52 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Wonderful news for Ozzies and Kiwis.  I hope they will have better luck using the machines than I have had.  As a Thai citizen the machine rarely recognises my prints first time and sometimes not at all, resulting in me being shoved into the manual queue.  I am hopeful that the new biometrics system hopefully to be introduced by the new 10-year passport concessionaire will be more efficient.  Mobile phones have no problem recognising prints every time, so I am not sure why a system costing millions of dollars cannot.

The wonderful news may take a decade to implement so we will wait.

10 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

my lovely country the USA doesn't have the passports with chips yet and I think that's required to make those gates work. Thailand does and has for awhile now.

All US passports issued since 2007 contain chips (this doesn't include emergency travel documents issued overseas). The chips do not include fingerprint information, though. 

19 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Exactly.

Of course my lovely country the USA doesn't have the passports with chips yet and I think that's required to make those gates work. Thailand does and has for awhile now.

I thought usa have chips with everything 555

2 hours ago, catch104 said:

And I think it's been reduced from 10

Quote: Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
  • Membership. 10 States ― Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam

2 hours ago, catch104 said:

12 minutes ago, Garry said:

And I think it's been reduced from 10

Quote: Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
  • Membership. 10 States ― Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam

ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Membership

27 States – Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Canada, China, European Union, India, Indonesia, Japan, Democratic Peoples’ Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russian Federation, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor Leste, United States, and Vietnam.

https://www.nti.org/learn/treaties-and-regimes/association-southeast-asian-nations-asean/

Archived