"May you be damned!" - Locals ignore sign urging them to stop throwing litter

webfact

"May you be damned!" - Locals ignore sign urging them to stop throwing litter

2pm_VI.jpg
The sign says: Whoever throws litter beside the road - may you and your families be damned!

A threatening sign erected near one of Thailand biggest fruit markets has fallen on deaf ears when it comes to stopping people tossing out trash. 

The sign in Wang Ta Kor sub-district of Lang Suan in Chumpon says in Thai: "Whoever throws litter beside the road - may you and your families be damned". 

It uses the expression "chip hai"  - a common verbal swear word not normally associated with signage. 

Daily News went to investigate and found a mountain of stinking trash especially discarded durian husks. 

It is near to the largest fruit market in the south that deals in fruit for the domestic and export markets. 

The local authority have said that they don't have the budget and just can't cope. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-23

I have noticed that landowners sometimes place a polite sign asking people not to dump on their land or its margins. People do seem to have some respect for that.

The worst litters are those people who can't even be bothered to slow their motorcycles down, as they sling their single-use plastic cups and bags of trash that they don't want outside their own apartment doors. Also a traffic hazard!

Rubbish encourages vermin; especially rats. Snakes sense the presence of the rats and come a'slithering. People mooch in the rubbish to find little goodies. As they are about to pocket the discarded pencil or gold ring, they step on a snake and get bitten. Some die!

28 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Rubbish encourages vermin; especially rats. Snakes sense the presence of the rats and come a'slithering. People mooch in the rubbish to find little goodies. As they are about to pocket the discarded pencil or gold ring, they step on a snake and get bitten. Some die!

Well I'll be damned!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A threatening sign erected near one of Thailand biggest fruit markets has fallen on deaf ears when it comes to stopping people tossing out trash. 

We have the same problem here in the sticks of Phitsanulok. Recently, one villager got upset and put this sign up. It ain't polite but I can understand the frustration 100%...

bad sign.JPG

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Whoever throws litter beside the road - may you and your families be damned!

How many damned families are there in Thailand?

Approx 20 odd million working out about 3 to each family 

I live in Khon Kaen. I take some side roads on the way to Big C and the road is littered with rubish. Bags, building rubish, foam pieces Boxs p, you name it. If the council put some CCTV stuff around they could record it. Make them pay. The council have to make an example to stop others. But they cannot be bothered.

5 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I live in Khon Kaen. I take some side roads on the way to Big C and the road is littered with rubish. Bags, building rubish, foam pieces Boxs p, you name it. If the council put some CCTV stuff around they could record it. Make them pay. The council have to make an example to stop others. But they cannot be bothered.

I live here too. Khon Kaen seems especially littered. Or maybe I just notice it here because I live here.

Its a big problem the trash in the streets and along the roads , in my opinion there should also be a trashcan every 50 meters or so along the side of the roads and streets maybe every 25 meters now the only trashcans you can find are outside a family or 7/11 

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

With a hefty percentage of the population illiterate and a matchstick man sign of a man dropping melon what do they expect will happen ????

Thailand's adult literacy rate is over 90%.

Incidentally, can you read the sign?

Rooster

1 hour ago, avvocato said:

I live here too. Khon Kaen seems especially littered. Or maybe I just notice it here because I live here.

Trash!! The result of industry and general living. Even in so-called first world countries there is fly tipping big time. Barking (Essex) has an awful problem (won the greater London fly tipping award two years running).

It's all about responsibility. Starts with education at home and school. If the Thais start to love their environment, rather than just money, things could improve. Never to late to start.

8 hours ago, johng said:

Same in Jomtien

P_20190727_103708.thumb.jpg.4165eef83148e73cf3e1aabbaeb484a6.jpg

Jomtien is the sister city of Pat-trash-aya and dumpsites are part of the tourist attractions it seems, along with dangling wires, broken footpaths and leaning power poles.

Archived