Fingerprinting

Banana7

For those who feel that having their fingerprints taken is an invasion of their privacy, I should point out that all Thai citizens are electronically fingerprinted when they receive their Thai ID card at age 7, and also every time their ID card is renewed (ID cards expire every few years).

Privacy has a different definition in different countries.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you have a new passport,you have 2 fingerprints scanned in it. 

I don't know about kevinmartyn, but mine was issued this year and certainly doesn't.  Maybe you're making an assumption based on your nationality?

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

I don't know about kevinmartyn, but mine was issued this year and certainly doesn't.  Maybe you're making an assumption based on your nationality?

Every biometric EU passport (or in the world) has to be accepted by an international organization. 2 index fingers are accepted. If you lose your right hand,you still have your left. 4 or 10 fingers doesn't make the passport more secure,and it has NOTHING to do with nationality. 

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Every biometric EU passport (or in the world) has to be accepted by an international organization. 2 index fingers are accepted. If you lose your right hand,you still have your left. 4 or 10 fingers doesn't make the passport more secure,and it has NOTHING to do with nationality. 

My passport was issued this year and has no fingerprint data due to my nationality.

Just business. You take prints and sell to any other government.

Some governments cant take prints, due to privacy rules yet.

However maybe there is a loophole and they can buy data.

IN this case passport, photo and the fingerprints. 

Next step will be DNA samples added to it. Though yet maybe complicated to do it. It is just measurements of controlling 9 billion people on earth. 

3 hours ago, treetops said:

My passport was issued this year and has no fingerprint data due to my nationality.

Facial recognition and iris scans are, in my opinion the same as a fingerprint. Personally I don’t feel my privacy invaded by those either 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, kevinmartyn said:

Absolutely scandalous and a true infringement of civil rights unless truely valid reasons for doing so!????

I have forgotten how many years my wife has been providing fingerprints for a UK visitor visa.

When we went to Malaysia in 2013 I wasn't fingerprinted but my wife was. Maybe you should stay at home.

On 8/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, Salerno said:

Also worth pointing out the world will get very small if they decide not to come to Thailand on principal for this invasion of privacy given Thailand is just playing catchup.

Many countries take finger print and or iris scan.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:48 PM, blackcab said:

Privacy has a different definition in different countries.

I've never thought Thailand had any concept of privacy whatsoever. It's still got the village mentality, where everyone knows everybody's business

Archived