Something has seriously changed here......

Isaanbiker

I don't mind the regular police checkpoints at particular places in Sisaket, but it seems that they have started to focus on foreigners in particular. 

Just recently, there's a control at a restaurant where the current governor sometimes eats.

They're now very often checking both sides at "Saphan Khao", ( The white bridge on the 226 to Surin and at other places) 

First, some BIB arrived at the establishment, but not long, and some IO's came as well and started checking all foreigners. 

Those who didn't have their passport with them had some problems. It's wise to carry a copy of your passport, or your passport when in the area. 

No idea why all has become so strict, but the new chief of police must have an eye, perhaps both, on us. 

Were any members of this forum just recently a sort of harassed by the BIB because they couldn't provide a passport?

Please share your experiences. Thanks a lot in advance. 

Be warned. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 20 years I still don't know if it's a legal requirement for foreigrs to ALWAYS carry their passport or a copy thereof or a Thai driving licence as proof of identity.

If people disregard this requirement in these changing times, then no complaints when caught without either.

Once again it seems that normal guys living normal lives in rural Thailand are easy prey by the coppers/Imigration instead of them looking for real villains living in the bar areas of the Kingdom. 

That's my opinion anyway.

1 minute ago, yosib157 said:

After 20 years I still don't know if it's a legal requirement for foreigrs to ALWAYS carry their passport or a copy thereof or a Thai driving licence as proof of identity.

If people disregard this requirement in these changing times, then no complaints when caught without either.

Once again it seems that normal guys living normal lives in rural Thailand are easy prey by the coppers/Imigration instead of them looking for real villains living in the bar areas of the Kingdom. 

That's my opinion anyway.

I've just made a photograph of my passport and will also make a copy I'll put in my bike, should they stop me.

I won't be risking to lose my passport. 

In my time here in issan and the rest of Thailand for that matter like lots of others who drive some distances I have been stopped many times (waved through more times mind I'd say 99% wave through 1% pulled over)

I used to just pass them there T money before it changed. I tried once to show my DL and Thai ID (pinko) which was not looked at and passed back to me instantly "not needed was muttered".

Never once so far have I ever been asked for my passport, that includes when I was pulled over not 1km from nong khai friendship bridge.

I don't and won't ever carry my passport unless I am leaving the country.

I do have a picture of main and latest visa/entry stamp.

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Those who didn't have their passport with them had some problems. It's wise to carry a copy of your passport, or your passport when in the area. 

Exactly what kind of problems did they have?

I've been here 23 years and have never personally known anyone who's had such a problem.  

I really don't recognise the Thailand that many speak of on TVF.  I hardly ever see a Policeman and if I do, they are usually in the coffee shop opposite their station, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Immigration I only see when I go to the airport, or the IO for my extension and 90 day reports. I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK, maybe not a good thing of course as they, the BiB, seem to do very little.  

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I hardly ever see a Policeman

I'd say the same here in Tha Ton, a police free area, but less than a year ago a police pick-up stopped outside my place and 5 guys were at my door. "Overstay", was the reason but it was a wrong one, their info was incorrect. But they had a computer print out of what looked like every farang in their district and maybe they were checking who really lived where they said and who was perhaps operating some king of business. It was a real surprise to find them interested.

Gone are the days when you could operate a watering hole next to a police station with, what was it, 10 or 20 years overstay.

Even my police neighbour who's always been friendly and I've known for nearly 20 years seems to take a more professional interest in my comings and goings this year.

Its been pretty quiet / same same for me. Haven't notice any change.

Regarding carrying the passport with you at all times...I was reading a somewhat official statement here on Thaivisa about 1 or 2 years ago ( maybe even in the lawyer section when that was still around? ) that you do not need to carry an original with you, but have a photocopy of the important pages with you and be able to show the original in a timely manner.

I have all my info uploaded to the cloud and can access it whenever needed. Every single entry in my passport(s) ever since I have been in thailand. Haven't needed it for immigration so far, but came in handy when changing something with my bank account and didnt have my passport with me.

5 hours ago, fourpack said:

In my time here in issan and the rest of Thailand for that matter like lots of others who drive some distances I have been stopped many times (waved through more times mind I'd say 99% wave through 1% pulled over)

I used to just pass them there T money before it changed. I tried once to show my DL and Thai ID (pinko) which was not looked at and passed back to me instantly "not needed was muttered".

Never once so far have I ever been asked for my passport, that includes when I was pulled over not 1km from nong khai friendship bridge.

I don't and won't ever carry my passport unless I am leaving the country.

I do have a picture of main and latest visa/entry stamp.

In my experience, the checkpoints etc.  have always typically been aimed at illegal aliens from neighbouring countries who have slipped into Thailand to work illegally.  They tend to ask anyone who looks like they are from SE Asia for their ID.  Farangs, they tend to wave that requirement off like they are intentionally avoiding accidentally catching one.

6 hours ago, Patriot said:

Pink ID is all that’s necessary 

You've gotta be kidding with your pinky one.

This one was issued for people from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Not for foreigners.

But people like you believe that they have certain rights? Nope, you don't. 

wake up, please. 

1 hour ago, Issannative said:

What on earth the police would not know a real pp from a fake one. Seems just more farang oppression

Don't fool yourself here. These people have access to all your stays. They might even know the name of your grandmother's first boyfriend.......

BTW, I do not use fake passports. 

There was an article here on TV. Picture of drivers license on phone

not acceptable Must have original. The article went on to say police

are no longer allowed to keep your drivers license. 

Passport was asked to show once in 3 years had IDP at that time. Thai drivers license also has passport information on it. 

US you can get at additional cost your passport details on license 

size card. It’s only valid for use in North America. If stopped should

e acceptable 

10 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just recently, there's a control at a restaurant where the current governor sometimes eats.

i live in Hua Hin and when the really big VIP's come to town we go on slightly changed police state of readiness. it is very subtle to see the changes sometimes.

also after the bombings.  

almost 6 years, 35k kilometers on a motorcycle 20k on a scooter all over Thailand, never once asked for my passport except at hotels, but i have a Thai drivers license that always works.  

3 hours ago, Issannative said:

We are under sigue batten down its only going to get worse

no its not. nothing at all has changed for me in 6 years.

if you want to worry about something, worry about war with China or global economic collapse. cool!

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

You've gotta be kidding with your pinky one.

This one was issued for people from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Not for foreigners.

But people like you believe that they have certain rights? Nope, you don't. 

wake up, please. 

People from those three countries are foreigners too.....

But white faced foreigners who have the yellow tabien baan can also get the pink ID card too, plenty of posts here on TV.

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i live in Hua Hin and when the really big VIP's come to town we go on slightly changed police state of readiness. it is very subtle to see the changes sometimes.

also after the bombings.  

almost 6 years, 35k kilometers on a motorcycle 20k on a scooter all over Thailand, never once asked for my passport except at hotels, but i have a Thai drivers license that always works.  

Same experience here in Nothaburi never asked for a passport. No problems at all get waved through far more then stopped. Some people see problems everywhere (sometimes rightly so) others just relax and dont worry if they have to show their passport (got a copy in my phone and one in my wallet just in case)

17 minutes ago, MikeN said:

People from those three countries are foreigners too.....

But white faced foreigners who have the yellow tabien baan can also get the pink ID card too, plenty of posts here on TV.

Beggars belief why anyone voluntarily wants an ID card. D/L is sufficient for travelling and yellow Tabien for vehicle transfers etc....I suppose it makes some feel they are more Thai which is quite ironic as its a pink card, not blue

There is just one problem with the drivers license and the pink ID card, it gives no information about your visa or 90 day's report nor the TM 30.

So to be sure you are free off the hook better carry your pasport around with you.

2 minutes ago, sjeng said:

There is just one problem with the drivers license and the pink ID card, it gives no information about your visa or 90 day's report nor the TM 30.

So to be sure you are free off the hook better carry your pasport around with you.

Of course, when leaving the province. But a copy of my PP and my DL should be enough when driving in my province.

It's a bit ridiculous to carry my passport when going to have dinner in town. 

Archived