Something has seriously changed here......

Isaanbiker

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Unless its immigration police wanting to see your permission to stay date.

They wanted to see all passports and visas/extensions of stays of foreigners when they "raided" this restaurant.

No way that a pink card would have helped anybody. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Brer said:

But something is happening and you don’t know what it is.

Do you?

You raise up your head and you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says, "It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?" and somebody else says, "Well, what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"

Moved to the LSD and other hallucinogenics sub forum//

Gee this moderating thing is sooooo easy!

8 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

They wanted to see all passports and visas/extensions of stays of foreigners when they "raided" this restaurant.

No way that a pink card would have helped anybody. 

I went to Sisaket once can’t remember seeing more then one farang, so to raid a restaurant they must have a reason, something dodgy going down. I agree something is going on, it’s more like spread something around we are cracking down on you farang perverts, crims, scam artists, guys on the run, cheap Charlie’s too.

While we are at it we will make it hard for all cos it’s our fricking country and you can take it or <deleted> off.

Comments I read that say I have been in Thailand for 25 years and I dont notice any difference is because most of those comments are from the old farangs hobbling around who don’t go anywhere anymore. This country has seriously changed and there is an agenda.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:55 PM, kokesaat said:
On 8/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Those who didn't have their passport with them had some problems. It's wise to carry a copy of your passport, or your passport when in the area. 

Exactly what kind of problems did they have?

I've been here 23 years and have never personally known anyone who's had such a problem.  

i've been alive for way more than 23 years and have never personally known anyone that got bit by a shark or hit by lightning but police have hassled me several times and tried to extort money for not having the original passport.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

My point being is that something has happened just recently, these guys are totally different.

Not really. It's only that it takes time to spread.

When I complained about the abuse in downtown Bangkok for months and months, I was told by some posters I live "in the wrong area", that "it never happens here, where I am".

A mod even suggested that instead of leaving Thailand, people should perhaps move to another region if they don't like the one they live in.

Then slowly, it starts happening in other places. It begins with major cities /towns and then it spreads from there.

Just a matter of time, have patience. The abuse will eventually reach all places, unless you live in the middle of the jungle.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:35 PM, yosib157 said:

After 20 years I still don't know if it's a legal requirement for foreigrs to ALWAYS carry their passport or a copy thereof or a Thai driving licence as proof of identity.

If people disregard this requirement in these changing times, then no complaints when caught without either.

Once again it seems that normal guys living normal lives in rural Thailand are easy prey by the coppers/Imigration instead of them looking for real villains living in the bar areas of the Kingdom. 

That's my opinion anyway.

Your opinion is quite probably made without enough knowledge. That passport you carry.. is not yours. My country says to never carry it as it is not your property and difficult to obtain a new one when stolen or taken or lost. 

2 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Immigration Act B.E.2522 (1977)

Section 58.

Alien who does not have evidence of lawful entry into the Kingdom ... shall be presumed to have entered the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

The evidence would be on the immigration computer system under my name.

How hard could it be for them to check their computer?

I was dropping my brother in law off at Korat bus station at 9:30pm on the Monday of the Queen Mothers birthday. As I was walking back to my car suddenly there were two Immigration Officers asking for my passport. I gave them my Thai drivers license, but they repeated passport. They asked me where I lived etc. But at that moment my wife called me and I gave them the phone....after a minute of talking they gave me the phone and DL back and said I could go. So I now have had laminated copies of my passport installed in each car, and a smaller version for the pocket. Never heard of anybody else here being stopped at night. If they really wanted farang I would have thought they would be in one of the three Malls here, or in the huge SaveOne market.

It would have your name and address on it.
Which would allow them to look up your VISA status in their computer system.
30 second phone call should do it.
If they wanted to I think it's more likely they're going to insist on your passport if they know you don't have it with you or a copy that's just the way it is here or in my opinion anyway

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I travelled extensively thru isaan last trip, van and bus trips almost every day, passed numerous roadblocks, sometimes 2-3 a day.

to be honest, they were not interested in me, but rather the migrant workers etc.

once between Chang Mai and Chang rai an officer asked for my passport. As I pulled it out he saw country name smiled and walked on. Again in isaan, another asked, simply glanced , and went to others, didn't even open it. 

I never carry it on me on day trips, just a photocopy.

but I am clean cut, and smile. 

On 8/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, Isaanbiker said:

I've just made a photograph of my passport and will also make a copy I'll put in my bike, should they stop me.

I won't be risking to lose my passport. 

You do not need to carry your passport. The police can not request you to show it, only immigration can ask you to see it, your passport is yours and your Govt. so you can refuse to give it to anyone here in Thailand

4 hours ago, Brer said:

I went to Sisaket once can’t remember seeing more then one farang, so to raid a restaurant they must have a reason, something dodgy going down. I agree something is going on, it’s more like spread something around we are cracking down on you farang perverts, crims, scam artists, guys on the run, cheap Charlie’s too.

While we are at it we will make it hard for all cos it’s our fricking country and you can take it or <deleted> off.

Comments I read that say I have been in Thailand for 25 years and I dont notice any difference is because most of those comments are from the old farangs hobbling around who don’t go anywhere anymore. This country has seriously changed and there is an agenda.

Thanks a lot for your post......you've actually nailed it.

If there are people out there who disagree with our view, they just don't go out, I agree with you. 

You'll be surprised when you come back to Sisaket. You'll see them all over the town, at schools, restaurants and in all shopping malls.

No idea why people go there and stay for years who don't have a wife, or gf from there.

And not only the Teletubbies with their helmet cams ( BIB) have changed, many Immigration officers are so "impertinent" that it already hurts.

Looking down at you when you want to apply for whatever visa/extension of stay shouldn't be a problem, isn't that their job? 

The Smiles are gone from the Land once called Land of Smiles.

If that doesn't change, I'll pack my seven things. 

5 hours ago, Brer said:

Spot on! Thanks for your honest input. 

On 8/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, kenk24 said:

I never have a problem at check points in northern and central Thailand... the police are friendly. 

But, I would say that in many countries around the world, immigrants are having problems... 

Even in my home country I'm supposed to carry an ID.  When I visit the neighboring country which is just across the bridge I have to carry an ID despite free movement within EU. 

7 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Even in my home country I'm supposed to carry an ID.  When I visit the neighboring country which is just across the bridge I have to carry an ID despite free movement within EU. 

How often are you asked for it?

I live in the North and have only ever been asked to show my passport on one occasion many years ago at an army check point.

I regularly visit Chiang Mai and am always waved through two check points.

I see the police and army at these posts checking the IDs of Thais and I think Burmese however.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Pilotman said:

I really don't recognise the Thailand that many speak of on TVF.  I hardly ever see a Policeman and if I do, they are usually in the coffee shop opposite their station, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Immigration I only see when I go to the airport, or the IO for my extension and 90 day reports. I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK, maybe not a good thing of course as they, the BiB, seem to do very little.  

But you live in Chachoengsao no? Hardly any furreners live there, no?

20 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I finance the local BIB 1000 baht every  month, have the local guys  phone  number, any problems he deals with it for me on the phone available 24/7, nice  guy, hates  his  job  just waiting for the pension says the corruption is  terrible but you have "no choice"  in the Police or they will transfer you out  of province and make your  life very difficult.

Why ?? you must be doing something illegal,you are part of the problem !

Brunolem in Post #43 said

“Things change, but I think it has more to do with staff changes than political changes.  

Thailand employs a huge number of public servants, among which lots of police officers and affiliated.  

And these people rotate... a lot! 

What happens is that the freshly nominated little or big chiefs want to show a difference, that they are tough guys, tougher than their predecessor.”

WWest5829 in Post #49 said

Hmmm, observations of stricter enforcement are valid and a bit threatening to our status but it does make me pause to reflect. Higher feelings of nationalism and anti-immigrant feelings have been rising in many of our home countries for some time. While it wrinkles me, as I am a great guy, it should not surprise any of us that Thais are also being caught up in the current global outlook. I fear we are just not too accepting of ”law enforcement” and ethnocentric thinking when it is focused on us."

I have a laugh everytime I read about people here complaining about laws being enforced as most also say that the police should enforce the law, especially in relation to improving driving habits here. I think what Brunolem said about "new" chiefs is also relevant in regards to the "crackdown" on TM30's

When I first came here over 20 years ago I likened it to the wild west as you could just about do whatever you liked and at worst pay a bit of cash to solve the problem. Now when Thailand is starting to enforce laws, albeit in their own way, some people are not happy.

I see it as a choice between living here in a police state or going back home to live in a nanny state. I have never been asked for my Passport aside from for Immigration purposes. Last year I went to get a Thai drivers licence and the lady said to me no need just use your Australian one, I got stopped not long after and the head of the roadblock says "no good you need IDP". So now I have a Thai licence. My only real complaint is that it always costs a little bit of money to learn the "rules".

By the way I always carry my Passport and credit card so if needed I can leave in the time it takes me to get to the airport.

11 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks a lot for your post......you've actually nailed it.

If there are people out there who disagree with our view, they just don't go out, I agree with you. 

You'll be surprised when you come back to Sisaket. You'll see them all over the town, at schools, restaurants and in all shopping malls.

No idea why people go there and stay for years who don't have a wife, or gf from there.

And not only the Teletubbies with their helmet cams ( BIB) have changed, many Immigration officers are so "impertinent" that it already hurts.

Looking down at you when you want to apply for whatever visa/extension of stay shouldn't be a problem, isn't that their job? 

The Smiles are gone from the Land once called Land of Smiles.

If that doesn't change, I'll pack my seven things. 

So when you posted you were just looking for people who are like you and agree with you? Bit ripe to raise a topic then demeen the respondents who have different viewpoints. ????.. not unusual on ThiaV of course.

Archived