BANGKOK
Isaanbiker

Something has seriously changed here......

On 8/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Pilotman said:

I really don't recognise the Thailand that many speak of on TVF.  I hardly ever see a Policeman and if I do, they are usually in the coffee shop opposite their station, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Immigration I only see when I go to the airport, or the IO for my extension and 90 day reports. I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK, maybe not a good thing of course as they, the BiB, seem to do very little.  

"I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK,"  Are you sure it was actually police you saw? Anytime

that I'm in the UK (Glasgow) the police are non existent. 

My GF told me that her friend`s husband was a cop who manned one of the check points , he made enough from it to make payments on a new car ...

You never know, I’ve never been stopped in Thailand. I’m white, old. My Nepalese friend is stopped often. Once he was with thai GF in her nice car, pulled out and kept at police station till she fetched his passport. In USA there are issues sometimes, two women, us citizens, Hispanic appearance, were jailed in a 7-11 in USA, not near border, till 

their citizenship was proven 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, observations of stricter enforcement are valid and a bit threatening to our status but it does make me pause to reflect. Higher feelings of nationalism and anti-immigrant feelings have been rising in many of our home countries for some time. While it wrinkles me, as I am a great guy, it should not surprise any of us that Thais are also being caught up in the current global outlook. I fear we are just not too accepting of ”law enforcement” and ethnocentric thinking when it is focused on us.

Edited by wwest5829

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK,"  Are you sure it was actually police you saw? Anytime

that I'm in the UK (Glasgow) the police are non existent. 

yep and plenty of them. Mind you, I was in London. so not really surprising. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Pilotman said:

I really don't recognise the Thailand that many speak of on TVF.  I hardly ever see a Policeman and if I do, they are usually in the coffee shop opposite their station, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Immigration I only see when I go to the airport, or the IO for my extension and 90 day reports. I saw more Police in my last visit to the UK, maybe not a good thing of course as they, the BiB, seem to do very little.  

Seen the police in a coffee shop, i don't think that is normal, after work it is beer, i see all the time near my place. Mind you i don't go in coffee shops too 🙂

55 minutes ago, Danthai said:

The good job they are doing is stopping the kids without helmets, licences, and registrations which is great. 

Not where I live, they never set up road stops when the kids are going to or leaving school, they are allowed to do as they wish, they know there is no point stopping them as they will not have any money!

18 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Seen the police in a coffee shop, i don't think that is normal, after work it is beer, i see all the time near my place. Mind you i don't go in coffee shops too 🙂

There is often one or two of them in the Amazon Coffee place across the road from their station, in a petrol station retail area. 

I once got stopped in a buss station in yasso imm every where they asked for my pp was lucky had it on me as I was going to amnat to do my 90 day no need to do that no more as new office in yasso but ya imm getting a bit mental

The police asked me for my passport once,I pulled out a folded 8-1/2 by 11 copy of my visa page and picture page that I have in my phone wallet!

I would never leave my Passport in the car or take it everywhere I go unless I'm going to the bank or a government office.  

22 minutes ago, riclag said:

The police asked me for my passport once,I pulled out a folded 8-1/2 by 11 copy of my visa page and picture page that I have in my phone wallet!

I would never leave my Passport in the car or take it everywhere I go unless I'm going to the bank or a government office.  

I get it. My point being is that something has happened just recently, these guys are totally different.

I didn't have problems with them, but I know of some people who just recently did have some weird experiences with the coppers.

Aeeh, sorry, BIB. Teletubbies with their cams on the helmet. 

1 hour ago, flbkk said:

You never know, I’ve never been stopped in Thailand. I’m white, old. My Nepalese friend is stopped often. Once he was with thai GF in her nice car, pulled out and kept at police station till she fetched his passport. In USA there are issues sometimes, two women, us citizens, Hispanic appearance, were jailed in a 7-11 in USA, not near border, till 

their citizenship was proven 

I think it doesn't matter now if you're white, green, yellow, or black. They seem to have new orders. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, Patriot said:

Pink ID is all that’s necessary 

Unless its immigration police wanting to see your permission to stay date.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Brer said:

But something is happening and you don’t know what it is.

Do you?

You raise up your head and you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says, "It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?" and somebody else says, "Well, what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"

Are you kidding? It was meant as a warning. The times are over where you could drive around hammered without any kind of ID.

That was my only message and Immigration was never out at night to check on foreigners. Sisaket is a town a bit different to Pattaya,. methinks.