Something has seriously changed here......

Isaanbiker

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Province I live in (Nakhon Ratchasima) is rumored to be the police check capital of Thailand. 

Not sure if that's true but in broad strokes, seems to have been an increase in police check point activity in the past 2 years in my area.  And/or "we" are tracking and reporting on them better.  Or both.

A while ago, mate of mine said even the Dark Side was getting A LOT of attention.  Inside sois and rat runs, not just the main roads.  Well yeah, because Dark Siders use the rat runs for pub crawls, and the cops know it.  And, because the cops themselves, off duty on the pi**, do the same. ????

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Province I live in (Nakhon Ratchasima) is rumored to be the police check capital of Thailand. 

Not sure if that's true but in broad strokes, seems to have been an increase in police check point activity in the past 2 years in my area.  And/or "we" are tracking and reporting on them better.  Or both.

A while ago, mate of mine said even the Dark Side was getting A LOT of attention.  Inside sois and rat runs, not just the main roads.  Well yeah, because Dark Siders use the rat runs for pub crawls, and the cops know it.  And, because the cops themselves, off duty on the pi**, do the same. ????

Do they check THC also as they do around BKK And Pattaya ?

18 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Your opinion is quite probably made without enough knowledge. That passport you carry.. is not yours. My country says to never carry it as it is not your property and difficult to obtain a new one when stolen or taken or lost. 

Thanks for the kind words, but I certainly have enough knowledge for my immediate needs. If you re-read my intial response, I said I was unsure of the law concerning the carrying of passports. So I don't understand the reason behind your comment.

As other menbers write, there are so many variances on the law throughout the country. We all have exoeriences to share. I only know 3 people with pink cards and they are still asked for d/l's in our area. 

One hundred kms from the Mekong, sometimes the roadblocks are jointly manned by Police, Immigration and Army. Overkill maybe and probably looking for Laotians. However, foreigners stopped on these checks are required to show passports with current visas.

As for thesetat's comments, for those ''without enough knowledge', I guess he refers to the entry in the front of British Passports stating that the passport belongs to the Crown.

Do you honestly think that the average Thai cop will understand that or give a toss if he's looking for any excuse to issue a fine? Not likely, but I may make a copy of Queen Liz 2 and attach it to the relevant page. 

Spot on! Thanks for your honest input. 

The strange thing is, you are the second Sisaket farang (of the same ethnicity) suggesting that there are intrusive police actions, in place within Sisaket, over the last week. He was ‘interrogated’ whilst eating-out at a nice, well-known SSK Bistro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

So when you posted you were just looking for people who are like you and agree with you? Bit ripe to raise a topic then demeen the respondents who have different viewpoints. ????.. not unusual on ThiaV of course.

Nope, I wasn't looking for people who are like me and agree with me.

I was trying to figure out what's going on here. 

Just imagine you'd sit at Pizza 4 U and the immigration visits and they "invite" all to the police station who do not carry their passports? 

Even those who have a driver's license, but they want to see your visa status.

Even when that's considered "normal", it wasn't like that before. 

It was only meant to exchange information to be on the safe side without spending time and eventually money because you forgot to carry your passport.

My apologies when you disagree with anything I've written. 

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

The strange thing is, you are the second Sisaket farang (of the same ethnicity) suggesting that there are intrusive police actions, in place within Sisaket, over the last week. He was ‘interrogated’ whilst eating-out at a nice, well-known SSK Bistro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, now it's strange to raise some questions now, I get it. 

I've got no idea who the other person is and only wanted to find out how serious they really are. 

I'll not have my passport with me 24/7 and having the first and visa page of my PP laminated was a great idea coming from a member.

Thank you very much. 

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I was trying to figure out what's going on here. 

Military nepotism, where:

A. Whoever gets a more relevant position nowadays has to have army family related background.

B. They have to adopt and follow the main nationalistic format, where foreigners represent a threat to the peace and stability of the nation, if they like their jobs.

C. After a while, they become brainwashed themselves.

D. Combined with income stream. Money is more important than values, human rights etc.

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Okay, now it's strange to raise some questions now, I get it. 

I've got no idea who the other person is and only wanted to find out how serious they really are. 

I'll not have my passport with me 24/7 and having the first and visa page of my PP laminated was a great idea coming from a member.

Thank you very much. 

Yep, it's a good idea to keep a copy your photo page of passport and copy of current extension stamp, or visa, etc.  I don't bother laminating.  I just keep color copies folded up in my wallet behind my Thai driving license.  In the time I've lived here, never been asked for it by LE/Immigration.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, BritManToo said:

The evidence would be on the immigration computer system under my name.

How hard could it be for them to check their computer?

On 8/24/2019 at 8:41 PM, BritManToo said:

It would have your name and address on it.

Which would allow them to look up your VISA status in their computer system.

30 second phone call should do it.

Nonsense. Passport, driver's license, pink ID, it no longer matters. This is terribly obsolete information. Immigration now has new "smart van" and "smart car" technology that automatically senses any violation by a foreigner, and drives itself straight to the criminal's location, without any actual effort by the police. Even better: the new "smart bicycle", "smart sofa" and "smart long-tail boat". And "biometrics" now catchs anyone who sneaks past the smart vehicles.

<a href="https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1113710-foreigners-beware-big-ouds-smart-van-is-coming-for-you/">Foreigners beware! Big Oud's "smart van" is coming for you! - Isaan News Forum - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation</a><br>

<a href="https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1117315-immigration-busy-keeping-thailand-safe-with-the-smart-car/?tab=comments#comment-14455011">Immigration busy keeping Thailand safe with the "Smart Car" - Southern Thailand News - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation</a><br>

11pm1.jpg.7ae73cc9142051e7e9042fe0572f2cc6.jpg

smartbike.jpg.5366e2f6c259d70c2cc0b55859e53e3b.jpg

On 8/24/2019 at 8:11 AM, Isaanbiker said:

I'm not talking about Pattaya now. It's about a town in lower northeast.

Well hes wrong anyway

The police rarely check for ID in Pattaya. Regarding Sisaket: isnt there a security issue in the area due to a temple/ border dispute with Cambodia?

9 hours ago, lkv said:

Military nepotism, where:

A. Whoever gets a more relevant position nowadays has to have army family related background.

B. They have to adopt and follow the main nationalistic format, where foreigners represent a threat to the peace and stability of the nation, if they like their jobs.

C. After a while, they become brainwashed themselves.

D. Combined with income stream. Money is more important than values, human rights etc.

You have missed out the most important factor.  I have concluded that the various organs of the state have been ordered by the highest authority in the kingdom to carry out and across the board a campaign against western influence especially resident Europeans who appear too entitled and if any Thai officials have read this forum with its constant stream of anti Thai racism, contempt, and border line hate of Thailand,  thai people, thai culture, thai religion, thai women then it is hardly surprising that officials are following orders enthusiastically.

26 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

organs of the state have been ordered by the highest authority in the kingdom to carry out and across the board a campaign against western influence

I agree, but just to clarify, so that there is no confusion, the highest authority is not who people may think you are suggesting.

The highest authority is, let's call it a "Council". It is actually called exactly that. It's a group of very powerful individuals, representing interests of Thai conglomerates, in combination with the Army, that dictate what's going on.

It's always been like this, for hundreds of years.

One key element in this today, for example, is Prawit. He is considered to be the architect of the last coup, he named all the Immigration chiefs,  he came up with the TM30 enforcement.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, Isaanbiker said:

You've gotta be kidding with your pinky one.

This one was issued for people from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Not for foreigners.

But people like you believe that they have certain rights? Nope, you don't. 

wake up, please. 

I knew it wouldn’t take long. Nothing to do with special rights. Ever considered therapy for your pinkyphobia?

On 8/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, baansgr said:

Beggars belief why anyone voluntarily wants an ID card. D/L is sufficient for travelling and yellow Tabien for vehicle transfers etc....I suppose it makes some feel they are more Thai which is quite ironic as its a pink card, not blue

Because it’s useful....though I’d never expect you to believe that. I don’t “feel more Thai”( what an idiotic comment). Nor do I want to.

14 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Because it’s useful....though I’d never expect you to believe that. I don’t “feel more Thai”( what an idiotic comment). Nor do I want to.

Why compare a drivers license with a pink ID card in the first place? And why carry a yellow housebook when the pink ID card is proof of having a yellow housebook,and you get the ID card at the same place where you got the yellow housebook,at the amphoe.

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Why compare a drivers license with a pink ID card in the first place? And why carry a yellow housebook when the pink ID card is proof of having a yellow housebook,and you get the ID card at the same place where you got the yellow housebook,at the amphoe.

Oh Max, please don’t bring logic into it, they’ll have breakdown!

On 8/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, dave s said:

... Immigration now has new "smart van" and "smart car" technology that automatically senses any violation by a foreigner, and drives itself straight to the criminal's location, without any actual effort by the police. Even better: the new "smart bicycle", "smart sofa" and "smart long-tail boat". And "biometrics" now catchs anyone who sneaks past the smart vehicles. ...

How about the robosoidogs in the smart vans?  They can smell any foreigner within 500 meters who tries to sneak past.

image.png.a1a2a2d13e3848a07f23b96bc4a8ea92.png

On 8/23/2019 at 4:43 AM, NiwPix said:

Its been pretty quiet / same same for me. Haven't notice any change.

Regarding carrying the passport with you at all times...I was reading a somewhat official statement here on Thaivisa about 1 or 2 years ago ( maybe even in the lawyer section when that was still around? ) that you do not need to carry an original with you, but have a photocopy of the important pages with you and be able to show the original in a timely manner.

I have all my info uploaded to the cloud and can access it whenever needed. Every single entry in my passport(s) ever since I have been in thailand. Haven't needed it for immigration so far, but came in handy when changing something with my bank account and didnt have my passport with me.

That official statement was from an official in one city/province.  I think it was Phuket.  As you I carry a color photo of my passport photo page and the current visa/stamp.  I have emailed myself copies of all my important photos and documents and put a simple password on the electronic document that at least keeps the honest honest. 

Archived