If I have minor heart issues can my offspring end up with these issues?

davidst01

A cardiologist has told me that I have the following minor heart issues:

- Abnormal heart pumping- poor contraction

- Moderately enlarged left ventrical and moderate global hypokinesia

- Enlarged arotic root

- Prolapse of the mitral valves

I've been told that all I can do is 'monitor' these issues and cannot do anything. But if I have another baby will he/she inherit these issues? 

If I wanted to ask a dr should I ask this question to a cardiologist or a paediatrics dr?

thanks

You need to ask the Cardiologist, you don't suddenly get these issues, what caused them? Once you know what caused them you can go from there. For example was the condition caused by Heart disease, such as sarcodosis ( I have probably spelt that wrong ) or is it the result of a virus, lifestyle (alcohol) etc. Genetic illnesses can quite often be passed on, but otherwise any illness an offspring gets will be from their chosen lifestyle, illness, or luck of the draw so to speak.

You should ask your own cardiologist what the cause of your hyopokinesia is. Usually it will be either coronary artery disease (CAD) or nonischemic cardiomyopathy. If it is nonischemic cardiomyopathy you then need to knowif it is genetic or acquired type.

If it is CAD there is no reason to expect your offspring to have it -- at least nto before old age -- IF they have health lifestyles (exercise, diet).

If it is nonischemic cardiomyopathy this can be acquired or genetic. See https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.174287

So find out.

Also, your condition requires more than monitoring, it requires medications, usually several of them. If this has not been given you need a different cardiologist.

Archived