Pattaya: Walking Street bustling!

webfact

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No.

But I know everything there is to know about the subject: I read TV forum, that's where the expertise is.

Ahhhh, now I see where you went wrong. 

A GGB can be a glitzy entertainment venue where fun and pleasure can be had. If you like attractive young Thai ladies. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/26/2019 at 2:50 AM, gk10002000 said:

I was there a few weeks ago and yes on one Sunday night the street was jammed, but nobody was doing any business.  Literally 3 full size tour bus sized groups of Chinese and one Korean just plodded in.  Most just looky loos

Im sure someone is doing well from them. they dont just eat a bag of peanuts and sleep on the bus

On 8/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, phycokiller said:

Im sure someone is doing well from them. they dont just eat a bag of peanuts and sleep on the bus

Chinese owned businesses and hotels, with the profits going back to China.  

Most of them don't even fly with Thai Airways to get here and back. 

This is why they are called zero baht tourists. 

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Chinese owned businesses and hotels, with the profits going back to China.  

Most of them don't even fly with Thai Airways to get here and back. 

This is why they are called zero baht tourists. 

I guess there are taxes, or at least brown envelopes, going to the thais tho. not to mention things like bus drivers, fuel for the buses, food for the guests, room cleaning etc etc.

7 hours ago, phycokiller said:

I guess there are taxes, or at least brown envelopes, going to the thais tho. not to mention things like bus drivers, fuel for the buses, food for the guests, room cleaning etc etc.

There will be some trickle down, but the reality is it is a small percentage of what should be a bigger benefit. 

Fuel is imported, room cleaners are often not Thais, they are taken to Chinese owned places to eat. 

11 hours ago, phycokiller said:

jacko45k covered most of your post.

I would add, if the Chinese don't own the business, they play the Thai businesses off on each other to get them to their rock bottom price. 

As the Chinese are now the majority of the tourism numbers here, you don't get the Chinese, you don't get anybody, but even if you secure the Chinese tour groups, your profit margins are a lot smaller than in the past. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:52 PM, NCC1701A said:

why can't white people understand?

Chinese and Indians go to places set up for them. Chinese tourists outspend all other tourist in Thailand.  

Indians go to clubs and dance and do things completely different than old white whore mongers. 

They don't want to be anywhere near you.

Maybe traditionally but plenty seem to like 'our' Western style more and more, once they experienced and learned about it.
Also, last time I went to WS a few months ago, I could see plenty of everyone inside gogo bars (mix of the world in terms of customers). 

Sure there are the richer Chinese and similar who come for a long weekend only (like South Koreans in Phil) and outspend us.
Also most money spend by us Whites, is not possible to track. Chinese only spend in malls, so it might be easy to track and result to look like bigger spenders.

I still have to meet the first Chinese national, not for a weekend holiday in Thailand, who isn't Cheap Charlie X5.

The big money comes in the form of purchasing the required operator licences, operating the tours and hotels etc

Only top level make real money on this type of tourism, hence the outcry of zero dollar tours
The money that trickles into Thai pockets from day to day spending and subsequent employment is negligible

Last year? There was a big dig at the industry with all the usual pomp and indignation that it is happening. As per all other big stories here it just fizzled out with what appears to have been little to no effect........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

As the Chinese are now the majority of the tourism numbers here, you don't get the Chinese, you don't get anybody, but even if you secure the Chinese tour groups, your profit margins are a lot smaller than in the past

Sadly they also deter other groups like Western family tourists. 

On 8/30/2019 at 6:23 PM, Anythingleft? said:

There was a big dig at the industry with all the usual pomp and indignation that it is happening.

In the past, they could afford to stop the zero baht tourists, now, it appears they need them here.

Take the Chinese sector out of the market here, and even the 7/11's and Family Marts would go broke.  ????

On 8/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, tabarin said:

Also most money spend by us Whites, is not possible to track. Chinese only spend in malls, so it might be easy to track and result to look like bigger spenders.

I agree.

Many small businesses here operate in the cash economy.  Their sales and revenue would not be reflected in the official figures. 

On 8/27/2019 at 1:42 AM, gk10002000 said:

I mean many of the bars and gogos were literally empty not packed as one might assume since the street was wall to wall people.  In past years, say during high season when walking street was jam packed, the entertainment places were full.  Now it is Indians walking around in large groups (never saw a single one in any of the gogos I visited), or large chinese tourist groups just walking in the street with kids or wives in tow.  Pure looky loo

Maybe they will need to introduce a cover charge at the start of Walking Street in the future.  ????

On 8/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, Leaver said:

So does prostitution and poor beach and ocean water quality.  ????

Plenty of European tourists simply dont care about go go bars and sex workers. It does not bother or offend them at all. In fact its part of the ThaiAsian experience. Its just an obsession of a few repressed yanks as far as I can tell.

Archived