Pattaya: Thai man paid 840,000 baht for a write-off

webfact

Pattaya: Thai man paid 840,000 baht for a write-off

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU3NC83ODczMDE0L25ld3MyMC0xLmpwZw==.jpg

Thai caption: Cash payment for car led to great pain

A man from Hat Yai has filed a complaint with Pattaya police after he paid 840,000 baht cash for a second hand Mitsubishi Pajero. 

At first he was delighted with his cheap purchase but this turned to anger when he went for a check at the Department of Land Transport. 

The roof had been modified and further checks with an insurance company determined that the vehicle had been written off. 

Jenarong, 26, was unable to find out what accident had befallen his vehicle. 

He went back to the seller who said: Why didn't you have it checked out when you bought it?

Now he is hoping to get his money back because he says he was conned. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-23

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

The roof had been modified

by the motor skidding along the road on it .. But it polished out with a load of T-cut .. 

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

He went back to the seller who said: Why didn't you have it checked out when you bought it?

No H P I database in Thailand to check these things .? 

Not just getting your money back from a car dealer. Getting your money back from nearly any Thai person is tantamount to a miracle! 

Unless it is family, trusted friends, and the like. Have you tried getting a refund on a product? Or getting your deposit back on your house or apartment? Sure, there are honorable people here. But, for some reason, there are alot that have an easy time taking your money, and a very, very hard time giving it back! 

42 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Sell it to next idiot.

Shouldn't be too hard, dime a dozen, but then again, not many have 840,000 baht in cash these days, and if they do, they are more than likely busy yaba daba doo dealers ????

48 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not just getting your money back from a car dealer. Getting your money back from nearly any Thai person is tantamount to a miracle! 

Unless it is family, trusted friends, and the like. Have you tried getting a refund on a product? Or getting your deposit back on your house or apartment? Sure, there are honorable people here. But, for some reason, there are alot that have an easy time taking your money, and a very, very hard time giving it back! 

The people that I have been having a hard time with to get my money back from have been other foreigners in Thailand, so far never had any issues yet with Thais. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

yeah i try to buy from tesco or the big internationals or lazada where possible as refunds are possible.  However I once bought a phone at tesco and had to fight for a long time to refund as they apparently had contracted the service out to some independent who kept lying that tesco does not refund lol.

58 minutes ago, losworld said:

yeah i try to buy from tesco or the big internationals or lazada where possible as refunds are possible.  However I once bought a phone at tesco and had to fight for a long time to refund as they apparently had contracted the service out to some independent who kept lying that tesco does not refund lol.

We bought a treadmill from Home Pro. The sports outlet shop that sells this kind of stuff. Three years ago. It is now making alot of noise, and does not work right. Went to Home Pro, and asked if they could look at it. A guy came out, made some minor adjustments, and it is the same. Asked them to send out a tech to fix it. Was told they have to truck it to Bangkok and repair it there. Was quoted 3,000 to 4,000. Seemed reasonable. So we asked them to pick it up. That was about five weeks ago. Now they are claiming we did not buy it from them. They have no record of the purchase. Fortunately, my very organized and smart wife found the original invoice. Now, let us see if they will handle this. 

Sometimes, even getting service here is difficult. If he does not comply, I will go all the way to top management of Home Pro in Bangkok. Did that when I lived on Samui, and nearly got the store manager fired. Looked up Home Pro customer service online, sent a message telling them how unsatisfactory the service was. Told them I had a villa on Samui, and had spent hundreds of thousands of baht at that store, which was true. The VP sent me a very kind email, within 24 hours, telling me to call the store tomorrow, as it will be handled. After the VP from Bangkok had a talk with her, the next time we went in her attitude went from:

I do not even want to spend the time talking with you, as you are a minor player, much less a foreigner

to groveling, and asking us for her forgiveness, and asking us what she could do to make our lives easier! Whatever the VP said to her, scared her and she felt her job was in jeopardy. I made the most of it, and really rubbed it in. I cannot even begin to explain how satisfying that experience was! 

The moral of this story is, never take no for an answer here. Go as far up the chain of command you need to. This applies to immigration, retail, any aspect of government. The louder you are, the more persistent you are, the stronger you are, they start to take notice. They are just not used to people making a really big deal about something. It gets their attention, and it is such fun to do. Think of it as a sport. A really fun sport. 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We bought a treadmill from Home Pro. The sports outlet shop that sells this kind of stuff. Three years ago.

3 years, warranty is usually 12 months ?

You got a good life out it, personally it's got nothing to do with HomePro, why even involve them, not their job, I would have looked for an outside contractor myself or purchased a new one, just saying.

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You got a good life out it, personally it's got nothing to do with HomePro, why even involve them, not their job, I would have looked for an outside contractor myself or purchased a new one, just saying.

Nah. I use it maybe 4 hours a week at most. The thing should last 20 years. Not like it is being used in a gym. Home Pro is totally responsible as they sold the product. I am not expecting warranty service, and am willing to pay for the service, which they are obligated to provide. I do not live in Bangkok so finding a local repair facility is just not feasible, nor reasonable to expect. And I do not make a habit out of "throwing away" 3 year old, 30,000 baht items. I leave that for the wasteful, multi millionaire types. 

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

So you saying he is a yaba dealer ????

Jenarong, 26 a man from Hat Yai

Now let's do the math, let's assume that he left school at say 18 and worked for 8 years, so what is he saying, he made 105,000 baht per year net after tax, i.e. 8,750 baht per month net to pay 840,000 baht CASH for the car, last I checked Thai's didn't earn a great deal of money and they have expenses to pay to survive, suffice to say most go through finances when they purchase a car.

When we purchased our Ford Ranger 3 1/2 years ago for 800,000 baht, all the village nosey's asked the wife what finance rate they gave us and how many we have to pay it back ????

All I am saying is I don't know any 26 year old Thai has that kind of CASH, so yes maybe he is a Yaba daba doo dealer, who knows, as there was no mention where he got the money from, e.g. Jenarong 26 from Hat Yai said he worked long hours and everyday for 8 years saving everything he earned to save up and pay his car, and then he found out he purchased a lemon, now that's what I would be saying if it was me, because it just doesn't add up, a Thai, age 26 with 840,000 baht cash to buy a car !

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We bought a treadmill from Home Pro. The sports outlet shop that sells this kind of stuff. Three years ago. It is now making alot of noise, and does not work right. Went to Home Pro, and asked if they could look at it. A guy came out, made some minor adjustments, and it is the same. Asked them to send out a tech to fix it. Was told they have to truck it to Bangkok and repair it there. Was quoted 3,000 to 4,000. Seemed reasonable. So we asked them to pick it up. That was about five weeks ago. Now they are claiming we did not buy it from them. They have no record of the purchase. Fortunately, my very organized and smart wife found the original invoice. Now, let us see if they will handle this. 

Sometimes, even getting service here is difficult. If he does not comply, I will go all the way to top management of Home Pro in Bangkok. Did that when I lived on Samui, and nearly got the store manager fired. Looked up Home Pro customer service online, sent a message telling them how unsatisfactory the service was. Told them I had a villa on Samui, and had spent hundreds of thousands of baht at that store, which was true. The VP sent me a very kind email, within 24 hours, telling me to call the store tomorrow, as it will be handled. After the VP from Bangkok had a talk with her, the next time we went in her attitude went from:

I do not even want to spend the time talking with you, as you are a minor player, much less a foreigner

to groveling, and asking us for her forgiveness, and asking us what she could do to make our lives easier! Whatever the VP said to her, scared her and she felt her job was in jeopardy. I made the most of it, and really rubbed it in. I cannot even begin to explain how satisfying that experience was! 

The moral of this story is, never take no for an answer here. Go as far up the chain of command you need to. This applies to immigration, retail, any aspect of government. The louder you are, the more persistent you are, the stronger you are, they start to take notice. They are just not used to people making a really big deal about something. It gets their attention, and it is such fun to do. Think of it as a sport. A really fun sport. 

At homepro and other stores I check many details myself.

Example, found an office desk lamp, I liked about 300Baht. More strongly disrupted 3 nearby staff who were chatting  and had initially ignored my requests for help.

I asked re the lamp 'what colour do you have?'

All three replied in unison 'see deow, see deow' literal translation 'this colour only', then they instantly went back to their chat. I looked further and found they had stock on the shelves 3 different colours same lamp and I opened the boxes to be sure there were 3 colours

I went to the service counter with a smartphone photo of the lamp on display and asked 'what colour do you have?'. Disinterested girl said abruptly 'ask the floor staff', pointing towards the shelf direction. A man walked out of an office and got his attention, thinking that he was possibly the manager and he was. I made it plain I was dissatisfied, and he followed me to the lamp shelves and I pointed out 3 colours but the staff said 'see deow.' 

I had noticed that the 3 staff who had indicated 'see deow' were hiding in a nearby aisle and I told the manager. He went there quickly and told all three to go to his office and wait for him. The manager then apologized in English and asked how he could help any further. I indicated what colour lamp I wanted and he took me to the cashier and waited until the payment was all done and the lamp was in a plastic bag then he instructed one of the young staff who help at the cashier counters to carry it to my car.  

Later same day an apology letter from the manager was hand delivered to my house. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You and spidermike007 @spidermike007 must be having some bad luck as all the HomePro's I have been too are great, well too great, too many staff, all wai-ing and smiling, some even with Thai flags, hello Mr Falang, welcome to Thailand, how can we be of service to you sir ????

On a serious note, they are many and are very helpful, always getting someone else if they can't do it or know about a product, you guys must just have a bad store or run ?

Any insurance write off, should surely have to of been approved by the Dot. before the vehicle could be put back on the road, but is there no data link between Insurance companies and the Dot.

In western countries that would be a criminal offense to sell otherwise

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Example, found an office desk lamp, I liked about 300Baht. More strongly disrupted 3 nearby staff who were chatting  and had initially ignored my requests for help.

I asked re the lamp 'what colour do you have?'

All three replied in unison 'see deow, see deow' literal translation 'this colour only', then they instantly went back to their chat. I looked further and found they had stock on the shelves 3 different colours same lamp and I opened the boxes to be sure there were 3 colours

I went to the service counter with a smartphone photo of the lamp on display and asked 'what colour do you have?'. Disinterested girl said abruptly 'ask the floor staff', pointing towards the shelf direction. A man walked out of an office and got his attention, thinking that he was possibly the manager and he was. I made it plain I was dissatisfied, and he followed me to the lamp shelves and I pointed out 3 colours but the staff said 'see deow.' 

I had noticed that the 3 staff who had indicated 'see deow' were hiding in a nearby aisle and I told the manager. He went there quickly and told all three to go to his office and wait for him. The manager then apologized in English and asked how he could help any further. I indicated what colour lamp I wanted and he took me to the cashier and waited until the payment was all done and the lamp was in a plastic bag then he instructed one of the young staff who help at the cashier counters to carry it to my car.  

Later same day an apology letter from the manager was hand delivered to my house. 

Lovely story. It is sometimes about shaming people to demonstrate pride in their work. I remember my Mom telling me as a kid that a job well done was a job worth doing. I guess the locals never got those kinds of lessons from their folks?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

You and spidermike007 @spidermike007 must be having some bad luck as all the HomePro's I have been too are great, well too great, too many staff, all wai-ing and smiling, some even with Thai flags, hello Mr Falang, welcome to Thailand, how can we be of service to you sir ????

On a serious note, they are many and are very helpful, always getting someone else if they can't do it or know about a product, you guys must just have a bad store or run ?

I often find the sales people helpful too. It is the post sales service that can sometimes be an issue. I find Home Pro to be better than most. Especially during the warranty period. Post warranty on a product you cannot find anywhere else? Good luck. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow you been very lucky getting money back from friends and family they are worse than a car dealer

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

But you're not spidermike 007 are you? For example:

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

... I cannot even begin to explain how satisfying that experience was! ...

...but he did anyway.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Families not a sure bet either

Had a similar issue with Apple Tech support....in France many years ago...... where the jerk on the phone once was getting cheeky on an issue that I felt was under warranty....wrote a letter straight to the Attn. of a certain Mr Steve Jobs at Apple Inc,  Cupertino/USA.......... 3 weeks later I was contacted by the EU Executive Relations Office, and a local repairman came over to my place to fix the issue for free of course.????. (defective graphics card).....the point here is that the aftersales jerks are all over the world,  who think no end of themselves....jealousy perhaps ??..... because they cannot afford to buy the item for which you are claiming a warranty service.

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Jenarong, 26 a man from Hat Yai

Now let's do the math, let's assume that he left school at say 18 and worked for 8 years, so what is he saying, he made 105,000 baht per year net after tax, i.e. 8,750 baht per month net to pay 840,000 baht CASH for the car, last I checked Thai's didn't earn a great deal of money and they have expenses to pay to survive, suffice to say most go through finances when they purchase a car.

When we purchased our Ford Ranger 3 1/2 years ago for 800,000 baht, all the village nosey's asked the wife what finance rate they gave us and how many we have to pay it back ????

All I am saying is I don't know any 26 year old Thai has that kind of CASH, so yes maybe he is a Yaba daba doo dealer, who knows, as there was no mention where he got the money from, e.g. Jenarong 26 from Hat Yai said he worked long hours and everyday for 8 years saving everything he earned to save up and pay his car, and then he found out he purchased a lemon, now that's what I would be saying if it was me, because it just doesn't add up, a Thai, age 26 with 840,000 baht cash to buy a car !

What a silly assumption, aside of that family cash could be at play, I know loads of guys that earned 10 times that before they even turned 23, legally.
People seem to forget that this is Asia, even if you sell toilet paper here, you can become loaded rich. You have masses of people.

Not to forget the girls who sell beauty products, they easily sell 1000 units with 700B margin after doing one paid ad on FB. That's called business.
Another guy sold fitness stuff, 400-600B margins, did 7000 sales in 1 year, one man operation, 2+ million profit.

Those same guys not cry and pay 3-6k for a girl. They would never even bother the girls most farangs get.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Or getting your deposit back on your house or apartment?

2 x in a row, I have gotten every satang back from a rental deposit.  One of them did require use of a megafone and some very cross looks from a very angry white man.

Archived