Where to buy whole chicken for roasting

Guderian

I normally get a chicken ready-cooked from the local market when I want one, 180 to 200 Baht for a decent-sized bird and they're usually tender and tasty, with no odd Thai marinades, or  stuffing that looks like it's made from road sweepings.

Just for fun, though, I thought I might try roasting one myself. Tesco and Big C don't seem to do whole chickens of any sort (not sure about Big C Extra). Makro has some decent-sized birds at a reasonable price, but I've no idea if they're broilers or young, tender birds. They look a bit large to be the latter, but I'm no expert. Foodland has frozen whole chickens, some small ones that are pretty cheap, and bigger ones that are more expensive (per kilo, I mean) labelled "Khon Kaen Chicken". I had a look in Friendship and didn't notice anything.

Does anybody here roast their own chickens, and if so where do you get your birds? Has anybody tried the whole chickens from Makro or the frozen variety, especially the Khon Kaen chickens, from Foodland? Thanks for any information.

Big C extra and Foodland both have fresh chickens 180-200 baht

In Big C turn left as you go in the meat entrance and they are straight ahead bottom shelf..............in Foodland as you look at the prepacked meats they are normally on the right bottom shelf

18 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Big C extra and Foodland both have fresh chickens 180-200 baht

In Big C turn left as you go in the meat entrance and they are straight ahead bottom shelf..............in Foodland as you look at the prepacked meats they are normally on the right bottom shelf

Thanks, I had a look in Foodland yesterday but could only see the frozen versions.

How would you rate them, are they up to Western standards in terms of taste and tenderness? Before I moved where I live now, which has a large open-air market nearby where I buy the ready-cooked chickens, I tried many Thai places for a roast chicken and if you managed to find one without the odd flavours added then there was  serious risk it would be tough.

Some of the nicest tasting, already roasted chickens I've had, were from Tops lower ground floor (Basement) @ Central Mall 2nd Road

OK they are more expensive than the supermarkets mentioned..... But you get what you pay for.

And cooked all the way through 

I used to buy full chickens at the small Tescos up until 2 years ago when they stopped stocking them. 180 - 200 baht? Chicken here should be very cheap. Thats about $10 for a chicken in Australian money. I buy about 12 big breast peices for under 200 baht for our restaurant. I can buy a roast chicken here from a local guy already cooked 120 baht. Not huge and yes that odd thai marinade

I am surprised at the price range, 180 to 200 baht.

Usually pay 120 to 140 baht for a large size whole roasted chicken.

One of the local vendors does sell them for 175 baht though, hardly any customers.

23 hours ago, Guderian said:

Thanks, I had a look in Foodland yesterday but could only see the frozen versions.

How would you rate them, are they up to Western standards in terms of taste and tenderness? Before I moved where I live now, which has a large open-air market nearby where I buy the ready-cooked chickens, I tried many Thai places for a roast chicken and if you managed to find one without the odd flavours added then there was  serious risk it would be tough.

Maybe they had ran out .....normally moist, cook it upside down to let the juices run through the chicken

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Just got back from Big C extra.................here you go...140 a kilo.....bottom shelf......nice and plumpchicken.jpg

Thanks, they look fine. I'll buy one next time I'm over that way and see how it roasts.

I'm thinking of doing a Christmas dinner at home for some friends this year, rather than the usual eating out, I've been very disappointed with what the restaurants produce as Christmas fare the last few years. Turkey's way too expensive, so I thought I'd buy a couple of decent-sized chickens and roast them, I make cooked dinners regularly so the trimmings are no problem. I just want to be sure that the chickens I serve will be tender and tasty, which is why I'm looking at trying this so far in advance. I know I could cheat and buy them ready-cooked from the local market, but then you don't get the fat and jelly from the birds to do the roasties.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, shdmn said:

180-200 seems expensive. Whole roasted chicken in Big C is 125.  I get them from those food carts for around 150, including rice and that tasty sauce.  Much better than the BigC chicken, and bigger.

I/d say the roast chickens in Big C are no where near the size of the fresh ones, as for the ones on carts they are tasty but the original poster wanted one for xmas day dinner.......probably doesnt want to trek out xmas day morning and serve it up for lunch

39 minutes ago, shdmn said:

180-200 seems expensive. Whole roasted chicken in Big C is 125.  I get them from those food carts for around 150, including rice and that tasty sauce.  Much better than the BigC chicken, and bigger.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:10 AM, seasia said:

I am surprised at the price range, 180 to 200 baht.

Usually pay 120 to 140 baht for a large size whole roasted chicken.

One of the local vendors does sell them for 175 baht though, hardly any customers.

Concur.

Some of the nicest chicken i've had anywhere is a side of the road stall, barbecuing their own chicken with a nice sauce for 125 TB.

Stop at a side of the road place with plastic chairs & tables for a somtam-kao neow-gai yang place that is busy and knows what is is doing for 200 TB for 4 people. Mmmm wonderful.

5 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

I/d say the roast chickens in Big C are no where near the size of the fresh ones, as for the ones on carts they are tasty but the original poster wanted one for xmas day dinner.......probably doesnt want to trek out xmas day morning and serve it up for lunch

xmas day is just another day in Thailand.

Archived