600 monkeys in Hua Hin to be sterilized to control population

webfact

600 monkeys in Hua Hin to be sterilized to control population

%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%87.jpg

Thailand’s National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has launched a program to sterilize 600 long-tailed macaque monkeys in the Khao Takiab and Khan Hin Lek Fai hills, in the seaside town of Hua Hin, in an effort to keep the ape population at a manageable level.

The mass sterilization, the third round of which began on Thursday and will continue until September 7, is part of the department’s continuing effort to reduce the population at the two tourist attractions and mitigate problems caused to residents and tourists by the wild animals.

Vice mayor of Hua Hin municipality, Ms. Busaba Chokesuchart, disclosed that there are still about 3,000 macaque monkeys on Khao Takiab hill and, although the number of the monkeys has reduced, she said that the sterilization program must be repeated periodically to ensure the population remains controlled.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/600-monkeys-in-hua-hin-to-be-sterilized-to-control-population/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-23

Seems an expensive yet only partial solution, whilst we're told elsewhere today: "Four million Bangkokians going without universal healthcare."

Up to the Thais as to how they spend their money - I wasn't asked - but I'd have thought available funds would be better applied to the care of people, and the monkeys be transported and freed in a far away forest.

9 minutes ago, law ling said:

Seems an expensive yet only partial solution, whilst we're told elsewhere today: "Four million Bangkokians going without universal healthcare."

Up to the Thais as to how they spend their money - I wasn't asked - but I'd have thought available funds would be better applied to the care of people, and the monkeys be transported and freed in a far away forest.

I  guess  those  monkeys are  getting lots of free  food  left  lying around by people who just dont  know/care any  better and those who stupidly  feed  the "cute  monkey".

Signs at Sam Roi  Yot national  park "dont feed  the monkeys" ignored, often see  cretins feeding them.

Not meaning to sound cruel, but if you have the monkeys in hand, why not just kill them?  And as far as sterilization, are they neutring the males or the females?  In deer populations, killing a few bucks does nothing because the remaining buck(s) still run around and impregnate any and all females they want.  I assume monkeys will do the same.  One must sterile the females

Archived