Combination Method for Retirement Extension

I'm new to the forum but I have been reading every day for a while.  This question has been posed before, but I can't really find the exact answer to my question.

I have been using the combination method for my extension for the past 4 years.  My social security is put into the Bangkok Bank NY branch and transferred properly every month with the FT next to the deposit in my Phuket Branch.  And then I have a permanent amount deposited into a separate savings account to make up the difference of 800,000 THB.  The money in the savings account is less than 400,000.   Is this acceptable to renew my extension.  I keep reading you need 400,000 in the savings account + income for the extension.

For an easy example.

40,000 a month SS x 12 months = 480,000

Separate savings account + 340,000  (a little for a slush fund) left in the savings year round.

This equals 820,000 total for the year.   Is this acceptable for extension.  It was for the past 4 years, just wanted to make sure it still is okay.

I can put another 60,000 in the account, but why if I don't have to.  The less in the permanent account the better as far as I'm concerned.

Part 2 of the question is that the branch here says it takes about 7 days to get the 12 month document from the main branch in BKK for the income proof,  they can only do 6 months (??).   Last year the financial docs needed to be within a few days.   Is 7 -10  days okay for the 12 month income doc and 2-3 days for the savings account doc.

Thank you in advance for your answers.  I'd ask at the Immigration office, but they aren't the most helpful when it comes to answering that type of question.  I need to move some money around soon if I need the 400,000 in the bank.

Edited by HappyToBeHere99

To be as polite as I can, the guys that run the Immigration office here for these type of visas and extensions are not "helpful" when it comes to details.  I'd like to keep as much of my dignity that I can.  I can go to them but thought maybe someone here knew the answer.   I really don't want to start bashing the Immigration office here, it really doesn't do any good.  They are what they are.   And what I have read combination method is okay, but it's the 400,000 that I was wondering about.

Thank you.

Edited by HappyToBeHere99

Ok.  I looked at the letter, again, that the IO gave me in March. It says

4.  Having revenue annually or having deposit in Thai commercial Bank altogether not less than 800,000 baht and have allowance to take action with the remaining not less than 400,000 baht.

5.  Having revenue annually or having deposit in Thai commercial Bank altogether not less than 800,000 baht since an apply date.  However, the deposit must be in account before and after getting permission with the same condition as (4)

The operative word in # 5 is Altogether.  So I have 800,000 altogether, and I believe he said I was good for next year ??? but do I have to have 400,000 in the savings all year or 400,000 Altogether with my pension.  

This is so confusing and I think I'm fairly intelligent.  

40 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

To be as polite as I can, the guys that run the Immigration office here for these type of visas and extensions are not "helpful" when it comes to details.  I'd like to keep as much of my dignity that I can.  I can go to them but thought maybe someone here knew the answer.   I really don't want to start bashing the Immigration office here, it really doesn't do any good.  They are what they are.   And what I have read combination method is okay, but it's the 400,000 that I was wondering about.

Thank you.

I understand. It appears that some offices have changed their policies this year. You may want to consider a backup plan.

44 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

The operative word in # 5 is Altogether.  So I have 800,000 altogether, and I believe he said I was good for next year ??? but do I have to have 400,000 in the savings all year or 400,000 Altogether with my pension.  

I probably just looked at the same order you did and came to similar conclusions. Although it is specific that condition 5) requires that condition 4) is met, wrt retaining the money. I suspect this will be interpreted differently at different IO's too! Although I did see one of the sage's posts here who felt you had to retain savings at the same level for 3 months, then at 50% beyond that. 

Not much use am I??

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I probably just looked at the same order you did and came to similar conclusions. Although it is specific that condition 5) requires that condition 4) is met, wrt retaining the money. I suspect this will be interpreted differently at different IO's too! Although I did see one of the sage's posts here who felt you had to retain savings at the same level for 3 months, then at 50% beyond that. 

Not much use am I??

hahah. No.   I'm doomed.

In Hua Hin I did the combo method in May.  I was instructed to keep 400k in the bank for the next three months after I got my extension.  My income per month totals to more the 400k, so it seems to be that at least here the 400k is the minimum needed

in the bank.  As CM and perhaps other offices stopped doing the combo method it is best to ask your immigration office if they acceptthe combo method.

Edited by Scott424
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

My social security is put into the Bangkok Bank NY branch and transferred properly every month with the FT next to the deposit in my Phuket Branch. 

Since your comment above suggests you're an American... that means you no longer can document your monthly income via Embassy income letters.

While the actual policy depends a lot on which Immigration office is involved, there have been a number of Immigration Offices lately that are refusing to do combo method retirement extensions without the monthly income being documented by an Embassy letter (even though the person has been doing the monthly foreign bank transfers).

You'd need to check with Phuket expats here who may know where Phuket Immigration stands on that issue.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes.  American.  All the other Americans I know here are working or have a Thai wife.  How would you get the monthly income verified by the American Embassy when they don't do those stated income letters anymore?

If there is anyone out there that lives in Phuket that can help me I'd appreciate it.   Otherwise I got to go down there and talk to those real friendly guys in room 103.  

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

How would you get the monthly income verified by the American Embassy when they don't do those stated income letters anymore?

That's the problem. As an American, you CAN'T anymore, since the U.S. Embassy ceased issuing the income letters at the end of 2018.

The question now is, will Phuket Immigration allow you to do a combo based on monthly foreign bank transfers with bank letters and passbook citations -- but WITHOUT the income affidavit...

Doesn't Phuket Immigration have some foreign/expat volunteers who work there in the office and try to assist other folks?

12 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

Yes.  American.  All the other Americans I know here are working or have a Thai wife.  How would you get the monthly income verified by the American Embassy when they don't do those stated income letters anymore?

If there is anyone out there that lives in Phuket that can help me I'd appreciate it.   Otherwise I got to go down there and talk to those real friendly guys in room 103.  

Thanks.

From the Phuket Immigration Volunteers site:

UK, USA and Australia applicants cannot use the combination option for their application.

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

16 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Combination of Bank Account and Income:

A combination of bank account balance and income (Embassy/Consul income certificate) can be used as long the total (Bank Balance and Income combined) is more than 800.000 Baht during the year.
Half of the bank account balance used has to stay in the bank account for the remainder of the year. (For example: 180.000 Baht used as bank account balance, 90.000 Baht has to remain in the bank account for the remainder of the year)
The same papers, Bank letters and copies of bankbook ( as mentioned in the income option) are required for the combination option.

UK, USA and Australia applicants cannot use the combination option for their application.

Immigration are divided and confused on the requirements for the Combo method.

Some insist a minimum fund of 400K deposited in a Thai bank, whilst others have no minimum funds deposited as long as the funds and transfers total 800K for the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

I think it depends on where you live. I have used this method for the past several years. However it is not accepted by Chiang Mai Imm anymore. They stopped accepting the combo method a month or two ago. 

An agent reported CM no longer accepted the Combo method, but that has since proved to be incorrect information. Meanwhile said agent has closed taking clients deposits with him.

14 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

This is news to me.  I am postive that they told me I was ok with combo method when I extended in March.  I was just worried about the 400,000

Any other positive thoughts on this from my friends out there

Go to immigration, get a number and then present what you have to the IO. They will let you know if there is a problem and give you a solution. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

This is news to me.  I am postive that they told me I was ok with combo method when I extended in March.  I was just worried about the 400,000

I am sure they told you that.   The Phuket Immigration Volunteers page was updated on July 2019.    Another poster, a3tsw, was denied the combination method at Phuket Immigration earlier this year in January.  He went to Savannakhet  and got a 1 year Non-Immigrant O visa.  Savannakhet requires proof of retirement and he had a pension letter. 

7 hours ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

Ok.  I looked at the letter, again, that the IO gave me in March. It says

4.  Having revenue annually or having deposit in Thai commercial Bank altogether not less than 800,000 baht and have allowance to take action with the remaining not less than 400,000 baht.

5.  Having revenue annually or having deposit in Thai commercial Bank altogether not less than 800,000 baht since an apply date.  However, the deposit must be in account before and after getting permission with the same condition as (4)

This is so confusing and I think I'm fairly intelligent.  

Here is an answer from the Thai Visa Advice Facebook group 

“The combination method CAN be used for yearly extensions of stays since the rules changed so I'd say your lawyer is more than a little off base.
The ONLY change is the fact that they will take the month that has the lowest monthly transfer into the country and use that as the number to times by 12 to get the monthly income amount,
You need the banked money to be seasoned two months prior to you applying for your extension, and it has to stay in your account for 3 months after you get the extension AND after that you can only take out 50% of the balance for the remainder of the year. 
Believe me the combination method is still an option.”

I was refused the combination method in Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago. I had 28,000 income per month and 40,000 in the bank, fully documented. I had the palaver of switching to 'Married to a Thai', 40 minutes of bureaucracy, as if it was my first time. Had a visit from an officer, who gave the tip, stick with it safer in the long run. Go back 3 Sept to get the full stamp.

5 minutes ago, maybefitz said:

I was refused the combination method in Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago. I had 28,000 income per month and 40,000 in the bank, fully documented. I had the palaver of switching to 'Married to a Thai', 40 minutes of bureaucracy, as if it was my first time. Had a visit from an officer, who gave the tip, stick with it safer in the long run. Go back 3 Sept to get the full stamp.

I am a little confused. I presume you mean you were initially trying to get a retirement extension, and you had 400,000 baht in the bank rather than 40,000? 

Even so, you are still short of the requirement.

Edited by jacko45k

I was just in the Chiang Mai Immigration office this last Wednesday with a Thai friend to clarify this topic and a few others.  I have my SSI letter from the USA, but my benefits do not equal the minimum requirement of 65,000 baht per month, so the letter will not be considered during my next renewal process.  I was told by the IO it either had to be 65,000 baht per month over 12 consecutive months deposited into a Thai bank account, or 800,000 baht seasoned into a Thai bank account two months before my extension request and three months after its approval.  Therefore it is now my understanding that immigration will no longer accept a combination of funds, it's one or the other.

15 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Well it looks like no easy answer.  Just as I thought.  The Phuket Volunteer website has an email address.   I can try to contact them and see if I can make an appointment to discuss this  They aren't the most friendly either.  I always have wondered if they are volunteers to help why they can't be a little nice to the people they are trying to help.   I was just trying to avoid going to room 103 more than 1x a year. haha.

If anyone in Phuket has had this situation I would appreciate a note.  

Thank you everyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

So the immigration officers are unfriendly and the volunteers are unfriendly, but people you've never met are " my friends out there?"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

Seriously?  I was trying to get some help and you are scolding me.  This is exactly why I never posted before.  Never again.  You sir, have a great day!

I think you've demonstrated why you find everyone unfriendly and confirmed the point I was making. You have a great day too.

1 hour ago, HappyToBeHere99 said:

Seriously?  I was trying to get some help and you are scolding me.  This is exactly why I never posted before.  Never again.  You sir, have a great day!

ThaiVisa is a great source of information and help, and majority of posters are indeed trying to help.  Unfortunately, there are also a bunch of 'funny' guys and rude ###holes that seem to have nothing better to do than troll the forum with their easily recognizable one-line comments.

Just ignore them and like/thank the posters that are providing genuine help.

• Like 1

I said I wouldn't post anymore, but I have to say one more thing and I know it's probably not worth my time and I'll get a snarky response but what is with this quote at the end of your post Mr. Surdit69

So the immigration officers are unfriendly and the volunteers are unfriendly, but people you've never met are " my friends out there?

Prejudice - a vagrant opinion without visible means of support.
Ambrose Bierce

You don't know me.  You don't know what I've been through or my thoughts or my family.   How dare you call me prejudice.  If I was prejudice I wouldn't have lived where I lived for 45 years and I wouldn't be here now.   

I was trying to get a little help from what I thought was "friends" in the expat community.  I thought we were a little community helping each other.   My mistake and I'll keep to myself in the future.  Just trying to keep the post light with my comments.  Excuse my ignorance on how the forum works and I won't bother you again.

To everyone else, my apologies. I am really a nice guy living peaceful and trying very hard to be legal in the Land Of Smiles, which fortunately I have had the opportunity to visit over 40 years and can live here now.  Have a wonderful evening and thank you for your help and suggestions.

We can only hope that immigration will be consistent with everyone in the near future.  BTW, that was a joke Mr. Surdit69.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:53 PM, HappyToBeHere99 said:

Thank you.

It's not because they are not helpful. I've found out that it's because their English language is limited to elementary to low intermediate level.

They need to have high intermediate level or advanced to explain this type of situation in detail because it's not as straightforward as the 800k option.

Few farangs have learned their Thai language upto high intermediate level. Most are at the elementary level which is good only for ordering food and buying things like 'Tao rai'.

Edited by EricTh