No-frills Wills: British royals take commercial flight to see queen

snoop1130

No-frills Wills: British royals take commercial flight to see queen

2145.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince William attends the King's Cup Regatta in Isle of Wight, Britain August 8, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s Prince William has taken a commercial no-frills flight to visit his grandmother Queen Elizabeth, winning plaudits and favorable comparisons to his brother Harry after the younger sibling was criticized for using private jets.

William, wife Kate and their children took a Flybe flight to Aberdeen en route to Queen Elizabeth’s Scottish summer residence in Balmoral.

British newspapers said the flight cost 73 pounds a ticket ($89.16) and published pictures of William carrying the family’s luggage by hand to the plane.

“We were delighted to welcome the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their family on board one of our flights again, this time when they flew from Norwich to Aberdeen with our franchise partner, Eastern Airways,” British regional airline Flybe said in a statement.

Kensington Palace declined to comment on the flight.

The trip came after high profile criticism of William’s brother Harry over his use of private jets to take trips with wife Meghan.

Singer Elton John defended Harry and Meghan after they took a private jet to stay with him in southern France. John said he had paid for the jet for security reasons and had also paid for carbon offsetting of the flights.

British media criticized Harry and Meghan as hypocrites for their use of private jets while also campaigning on environmental issues, the latest episode in the couple’s increasingly difficult relationship with the British media.

William’s use of a commercial flight was held up as a shining example to his brother in the newspapers, with the front page of the Sun newspaper declaring “Wills gives Harry a flying lesson.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-23

I wonder how Harry feels about being shown up and shamed by his brother. Could this create some bad blood between them? Or perhaps there are some prevailing disagreements between them, and William's mode of humble transport having stark contrast to harry's was intentional.

I admit to knowing virtually nothing about British royalty and expect to be put in my place by loyalists. 555 

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Singer Elton John defended Harry and Meghan after they took a private jet to stay with him in southern France. John said he had paid for the jet for security reasons and had also paid for carbon offsetting of the flights.

And what a bunch of BS this is. Do Elton and his obscenely rich friends really think that donating money to a tree-planting outfit removes all the excessive CO2 generated by them flying around in their private jets? All that does is ease their consciences about all the unnecessary damage they're doing to the planet. 

Harry and Elton are singing a song of despair about how unfair it is that they're being criticized, but it doesn't seem they're getting much sympathy or understanding. What a pair of w--kers! 

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

i want to put john candy on our 20 dollar bill     ????????   ????     ????

I'll go along with that one. Seeing Nasty-looking Lizzy on those Meany Greenies is enough to make people lose their appetite. Anyone would be better than Canada's "official" queen.   

Harry and madam are a PR disaster as he's totally brainwashed and she has no idea about how to be a positive royal and just goes off on one regarding her obviously PC political agenda and leanings ... even Steve Wonder can see it.

2 hours ago, Inn Between said:

And what a bunch of BS this is. Do Elton and his obscenely rich friends really think that donating money to a tree-planting outfit removes all the excessive CO2 generated by them flying around in their private jets? All that does is ease their consciences about all the unnecessary damage they're doing to the planet. 

Harry and Elton are singing a song of despair about how unfair it is that they're being criticized, but it doesn't seem they're getting much sympathy or understanding. What a pair of w--kers! 

How often do you fly?

You remind me of a woman caller to the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 the other day who said planting trees was a waste of time and people should instead do as she has done; give up flying for a year!

A whole year; whoopty do! This year my wife and I flew for the first time in 3 years. Not through any concern for the planet; but simply because we have to save for that long to be able to afford it!

As it is probably larger, it is likely that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's commercial flight emitted more C02 than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's!

Elton John paid for the Sussexs' flights; I wonder who paid for the Cambridges', plus their Royal Protection Squad minders; me and my fellow taxpayers probably.

Oh, I see. This is one of those news, like we have in Thailand, after 50 people are killed in a boat accident and then suddenly, obviously unpredictably, the next week some taxi driver returns 100 billion baht to some random foreign passenger, who left his billions on the back seat of the taxi. 

30 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

How often do you fly?

You remind me of a woman caller to the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 the other day who said planting trees was a waste of time and people should instead do as she has done; give up flying for a year!

It's totally asinine that I remind you of that woman. I said nothing along the lines that people should stop flying or planting trees isn't worthwhile. You can skew things as much as you want to suit your post, but give it some thought first. Otherwise, you might just sound silly.

My complaint was with the (over)use of personal jets and the rich clearing their consciences by making donations to tree-planting organizations. Why can't the rich fly in first class, and do the environment a favour?

37 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

...it is likely that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's commercial flight emitted more C02 than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's!

Now there's real logical argument!!! I think we can safely assume that the commercial jet was likely carrying a plane full of passengers rather than a few people and their luggage as is the case with Harry's trip to France. So, if we look at each personal carbon footprint for the passengers in the commercial jet, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than the few people in a personal jet. 

10 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

It's totally asinine that I remind you of that woman. I said nothing along the lines that people should stop flying or planting trees isn't worthwhile. You can skew things as much as you want to suit your post, but give it some thought first. Otherwise, you might just sound silly.

My complaint was with the (over)use of personal jets and the rich clearing their consciences by making donations to tree-planting organizations. Why can't the rich fly in first class, and do the environment a favour?

Err

4 hours ago, Inn Between said:

The self contradictions evident here make any further comment from me redundant.

11 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Now there's real logical argument!!! I think we can safely assume that the commercial jet was likely carrying a plane full of passengers rather than a few people and their luggage as is the case with Harry's trip to France. So, if we look at each personal carbon footprint for the passengers in the commercial jet, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than the few people in a personal jet. 

A plane full?

How many people do you think fly from Norwich to Aberdeen?

Plus, of course, commercial planes are larger, and so emit more CO2, than private jets.

image.jpeg.27c27fc67d74ed1b328ec5b2db7e5523.jpeg

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The self contradictions evident here make any further comment from me redundant

Well, I don't see them, and I'd be surprised if anybody else except you can.

And I suppose any further comment from you would only be redundant if you repeat yourself -- the basic definition of the word. 

40 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Err

The self contradictions evident here make any further comment from me redundant.

A plane full?

How many people do you think fly from Norwich to Aberdeen?

Plus, of course, commercial planes are larger, and so emit more CO2, than private jets.

image.jpeg.27c27fc67d74ed1b328ec5b2db7e5523.jpeg

Commercial planes, which carry hundreds of people, naturally emit more CO2. Per transferred passenger, those however are more economical. 

As aviation business is highly competitive business, it's quite easy to compare the price of one seat to another and convert that to energy used by the plane and per a person flown to the desired destination.

3 hours ago, Brigand said:

Harry and madam are a PR disaster as he's totally brainwashed and she has no idea about how to be a positive royal and just goes off on one regarding her obviously PC political agenda and leanings ... even Steve Wonder can see it.

Just another stupid royal falling for the bait ..

All will be hush hush , as per norm , nothing new under the sun , in Windsor ...

Just now, elliss said:

Just another stupid royal falling for the bait ..

All will be hush hush , as per norm , nothing new under the sun , in Windsor ...

Should the royals and royal family be ripped of their privileged lives in the UK?

Would that make life better for the British people?

What do you think elliss?

9 minutes ago, manitoba said:

Should the royals and royal family be ripped of their privileged lives in the UK?

Would that make life better for the British people?

What do you think elliss?

More importantly would that make a better life for the people of Manitoba?  Years ago my daughter served the Queen's table at a gala dinner the Mb. Ledge. 

56 minutes ago, pegman said:

More importantly would that make a better life for the people of Manitoba?  Years ago my daughter served the Queen's table at a gala dinner the Mb. Ledge. 

When the Queens time is up, can anyone really take her place in the current world?

Perhaps it's time to let go of some old traditions, which made kind of sense during last millenium. 

The Queen has been flying commercial (First Class of course!) for years. Princess Ann could often be seen in edinburgh airport when I was up there.

This is a non-story perfectly suited to Harry Bashers in the press and Royal bashers in general.

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As it is probably larger, it is likely that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's commercial flight emitted more C02 than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's!

Probably did, but then proportion it by the number of passengers.

Issue was a few years ago, Randy's frivolous use of royal flights, though I see no problem with the use of Royal flights for Royal and Senior Government Officials attending official functions, but attending Balmoral is just a family holiday. 

good on Will and family though I suspect it was more a PR thing, remember Will used a RAF rescue chopper to drop in on the inlaws...

16 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I wonder how Harry feels about being shown up and shamed by his brother. Could this create some bad blood between them? Or perhaps there are some prevailing disagreements between them, and William's mode of humble transport having stark contrast to harry's was intentional.

I admit to knowing virtually nothing about British royalty and expect to be put in my place by loyalists. 555 

Oh, I expect that the older brother will take the <deleted> out of the other, the younger one will return it, perhaps focussing on the older brothers hair loss, and that will be it. They do it quite frequently, and quite robustly, and quite well. It will then be reported as a major rift at the palace by the media, who will continue to stir things up; but then, they are on a mission, both brothers having made clear their contempt for the media after the part they played in their mother's death.

Bastards - the media, not the Princes.

35 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Probably did, but then proportion it by the number of passengers.

Issue was a few years ago, Randy's frivolous use of royal flights, though I see no problem with the use of Royal flights for Royal and Senior Government Officials attending official functions, but attending Balmoral is just a family holiday. 

good on Will and family though I suspect it was more a PR thing, remember Will used a RAF rescue chopper to drop in on the inlaws...

It was a Chinook and he popped in on his girlfriends house whilst on a cross country training flight. I understand that he got a major bollocking for doing so!

His father in law memorably said ( at the wedding reception) that he realised that

Prince William was keen on his daughter when he came home to find a Chinook parked on his lawn!

10 minutes ago, JAG said:

It was a Chinook and he popped in on his girlfriends house whilst on a cross country training flight. I understand that he got a major bollocking for doing so!

His father in law memorably said ( at the wedding reception) that he realised that

Prince William was keen on his daughter when he came home to find a Chinook parked on his lawn!

Pitty Will's Father in law was not still working for BA then Will, Kate and family could have loads of free flights...

17 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Surely with the information available now about the hypocrisy of "global warming" people can see through the hype of main stream media? Remember their only function is to sell advertising, that's it, they don't care what they print!

8 hours ago, JAG said:

It was a Chinook and he popped in on his girlfriends house whilst on a cross country training flight. I understand that he got a major bollocking for doing so !

A Dutch adage:  "who sails apples, who eats apples".

Second: a (young) man in love does not always think with his top-head.

Archived