New Non-Smoking :-) Law???

moonseeker

Can anybody possibly elaborate on the new non-smoking  laws, besides the new regulations regarding smoking at home.

Just to be ready for the rumor-spreaders.....

What is the rule in bars? Restaurants? Inside? Outside/ Aircon? Gardens of condominiums? Swimming pool?   Etc. Etc.

Got a 4 page TH version, but no chance to get a clear translation.

Thank you all.

MS>

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

No need to translate the new regulations... just stop smoking like I did 4y ago...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nope, I never touched a cigarette or alcohol in my life. Smoking is a disgusting habit. Just asking to be informed at my my next round-table, as a lot of rumors are being spread. ????

IMO they could ban sales all-together and ww. I see the consequences of smoking every week during my cancer treatments last 4 years - unrelated to smoking - also my parents back then did not know better and lit up our home. Both of them died of throat cancer/lung cancer. Horrific.

I talk to many sufferers (almost 100% smokers) with lung-cancer & throat-cancer, you should hear their stories and thoughts. A nightmare that never ends.....Just like most cancers, unfortunately. 

Have a good evening and stay happy & healthy & consider quitting :-), before the TH Gov. makes you ????.  MS>

There's no anti smoking law (at home).

There's a anti domestic abuse law amendment called: Family Development and Protection Act B.E. 2562

You can do what you want at home, as long as you don't abuse your kids and/or partner. If you are alone or your partner is fine with it smoking at home is fine, even tho disgusting. Same for alcohol, if it damages someone like in most other countries you are in trouble, rightly so.

“Once this new law goes into effect and has those behind domestic violence face criminal action, we will also be able to take steps to protect the victim by having the Central Juvenile and Family Court order the perpetrators undergo behavioural adjustment. For instance, if the perpetrator is an alcoholic, he will be sent to a rehabilitation centre, so he can return to his family sober,” he said. 

The media and especially some anti smoking lobby girl made it up to be an anti-smoking law, that's however just wrong. Of course if you damage your kids health with smoke that falls under domestic abuse, same with alcohol and co - abuse is abuse. law itself has nothing to do and doesn't mention smoking.

This is the other law: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no-more-smoking-in-public-in-thailand

TL;DR not allowed to smoke in public places at a condo etc, need to go 5 metres away from entrance

The question was regarding the new smoking laws, not to hear testimonials of quitting and/or condemnation of smoking.

Few things more unbearable than a reformed whore...

Can cops now bust you for smoking as you walk down sidewalk and pass by businesses?

Thank you all. Thanks for the factual answers and/or reminders to others  too. I have learned to write posts, leave them for 15 minutes unsent, then read them again. Often I realize with the second reading,  that my initial response was emotional, stupid, personal sentiment, but often no help or proper way to answer. Either re-write or delete. Seems that especially Pattaya produces a lot of what I just mentioned. Overall TV is a great forum and even so I have a broad knowledge in many respects, I have been glad many times, to get confirmation or new info, mostly to help other on TV. Thank you all and nice Sunday.  MS>

When I smoke my pipe out on my condo balcony, the balcony above is less than 15 feet away. Can I be cited? Also I have had birds land on the railing less than 15 feet away. Is that 'cruelty to animals'? I've been smoking a pipe for 56 years with no health problems. Hate to give it up. Very relaxing. Eases the stress (a real killer), especially at a high-pressure workplace. Einstein said he did his best work when relaxing with a pipe. Gen. MacArthur, Mark Twain, Hugh Hefner, Santa Claus, and Popeye too. I do not defend cigarettes. Those you inhale. Not so a pipe. Hate to see them lumped together.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

When I smoke my pipe out on my condo balcony, the balcony above is less than 15 feet away. Can I be cited? Also I have had birds land on the railing less than 15 feet away. Is that 'cruelty to animals'? I've been smoking a pipe for 56 years with no health problems. Hate to give it up. Very relaxing. Eases the stress (a real killer), especially at a high-pressure workplace. Einstein said he did his best work when relaxing with a pipe. Gen. MacArthur, Mark Twain, Hugh Hefner, Santa Claus, and Popeye too. I do not defend cigarettes. Those you inhale. Not so a pipe. Hate to see them lumped together.

Do what you want for the sake of humanity. If a law is so stupid that we can't even comprehend it then it's save to say the only thing we should to is Ignoring it... 

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

yet another reason not to live in a condo.  Up to you if you smoke a pipe or not, but I would be mightily upset to be your neighbours, up, down, left and right, who also have to put up with it. 

I visit beer bars and a go go bars on a daily basis. All of them allow smoking and in some go go bars they have a corner where most of the dancers smoke and drink non stop. It has made a few of my friends pay their bills and move on.

I'm pretty sure there were laws brought in a few years ago but like most things in Thailand it never got enforced. Well at least not in Pattaya. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, moonseeker said:

Nope, I never touched a cigarette or alcohol in my life. Smoking is a disgusting habit. Just asking to be informed at my my next round-table, as a lot of rumors are being spread. ????

IMO they could ban sales all-together and ww. I see the consequences of smoking every week during my cancer treatments last 4 years - unrelated to smoking - also my parents back then did not know better and lit up our home. Both of them died of throat cancer/lung cancer. Horrific.

I talk to many sufferers (almost 100% smokers) with lung-cancer & throat-cancer, you should hear their stories and thoughts. A nightmare that never ends.....Just like most cancers, unfortunately. 

Have a good evening and stay happy & healthy & consider quitting :-), before the TH Gov. makes you ????.  MS>

excluding cigarette smoke - please list all the things you think you have been exposed too in your life past and present that cause cancer - if you have a clue it will be a very long list, then rate them compared to passive cigarette smoke - the latter will be well down the list if on it at all

enjoy your book

On 8/24/2019 at 10:10 AM, Emdog said:

The question was regarding the new smoking laws, not to hear testimonials of quitting and/or condemnation of smoking.

Few things more unbearable than a reformed whore...

Can cops now bust you for smoking as you walk down sidewalk and pass by businesses?

Few things more admirable than a reformed sinner. Ex smokers are particularly good role models but they have the troubling tendency to remind smokers how stupid and weak willed they are.

Levels Club or Insanity Club in BKK...full of smokers in the dance floor .. nobody bothers.....just don't walk out of the club at the wee hours a bit boozed, with a hottie by your arms and a fag in your lips as that may <deleted> off with jealousy the local area cops touting around Exit...

3 hours ago, smedly said:

excluding cigarette smoke - please list all the things you think you have been exposed too in your life past and present that cause cancer - if you have a clue it will be a very long list, then rate them compared to passive cigarette smoke - the latter will be well down the list if on it at all

enjoy your book

A large percentage of them is in no position to respond.

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Few things more admirable than a reformed sinner. Ex smokers are particularly good role models but they have the troubling tendency to remind smokers how stupid and weak willed they are.

You have your opinion, I mine.

I prefer people who don't need to "reform". I considered being a drug and alcohol counselor, but seems they only accepted former addicts and drunks. I wonder if I'd taken that step if I could write off drugs and booze as "educational expenses"?

On 8/26/2019 at 3:21 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

And don't you forget it!

On 8/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, moonseeker said:

My father smoked like the proverbial chimney; though after he was compelled to give up his window cleaning business. And then not that heavily until he ultimately retired from work, so not lifetime. My mother never smoked. She died in her sixties of stomach cancer - no idea whether or not related. My father lived into his nineties.

I don't smoke and seem to be doing reasonably alright so far.

6 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

My father smoked like the proverbial chimney; though after he was compelled to give up his window cleaning business. And then not that heavily until he ultimately retired from work, so not lifetime. My mother never smoked. She died in her sixties of stomach cancer - no idea whether or not related. My father lived into his nineties.

I don't smoke and seem to be doing reasonably alright so far.

People often cite such rare occurrences. It would be naive to say the least to deny higher risks caused by smoking.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

There's no anti smoking law (at home).

There's a anti domestic abuse law amendment called: Family Development and Protection Act B.E. 2562

You can do what you want at home, as long as you don't abuse your kids and/or partner. If you are alone or your partner is fine with it smoking at home is fine, even tho disgusting. Same for alcohol, if it damages someone like in most other countries you are in trouble, rightly so.

The media and especially some anti smoking lobby girl made it up to be an anti-smoking law, that's however just wrong. Of course if you damage your kids health with smoke that falls under domestic abuse, same with alcohol and co - abuse is abuse. law itself has nothing to do and doesn't mention smoking.

This is the other law: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no-more-smoking-in-public-in-thailand

TL;DR not allowed to smoke in public places at a condo etc, need to go 5 metres away from entrance

Thank you for quoting the actual laws. Very refreshing to see the actual information rather than the wild speculation, "a guy in a bar told me".

2-3 other topics could benefit from some facts rather than Hyperbole

Archived