Blocked to extend tourist stamp

No roasting from me!

Trying to enter visa exempt is the worst thing you could have done. As you surmised, staying cool under the abuse was essential, and I am glad it got you through.

You will be able to get your extension.

If at all possible, you should apply for a non immigrant O visa. It should not be too hard getting one to visit your son. With a Non O, it is usually not a problem entering Thailand.

Getting tourist visas at many consulates in the region is likely to be a problem. Do not think Vientiane or Savannakhet are good options now, and Phnom Penh has been problematic for some time.

With a tourist visa, you might be OK entering by air, with a tourist visa but entering at a land crossing in that case would be better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

No roasting from me!

Trying to enter visa exempt is the worst thing you could have done. As you surmised, staying cool under the abuse was essential, and I am glad it got you through.

You will be able to get your extension.

If at all possible, you should apply for a non immigrant O visa. It should not be too hard getting one to visit your son. With a Non O, it is usually not a problem entering Thailand.

Getting tourist visas at many consulates in the region is likely to be a problem. Do not think Vientiane or Savannakhet are good options now, and Phnom Penh has been problematic for some time.

With a tourist visa, you might be OK entering by air, with a tourist visa but entering at a land crossing in that case would be better.

Thanks for the reply, you mention I will be able to get the extension as I normally do, she specificly said I was not allowed too, shes wrote something wierd below the entry stamp in Thai, are you saying like a few of my friends in Thailand have also said I will be able to get an extension its just talk? or do you think she did block me from being able to get it? I guess only one way to find out right heh

I am actually going to get the none O in the UK as I know the lady in the Thai Embassy so called her, she said she would have one almost waiting for me as my mum is able to do the majority of the paper work for me and has a copy of my sons birth cert etc, also she mentioned its easier in Hull as I do not need the Thai bank account like I would in Cambodia, infact I have tried to get a Thai bank account twice now and they always reject me, one for not having a proper visa I think the other time was another reason... its silly you need a thai bank account to get a none o, yet you cant get a Thai bank account without a visa right? anyway I planned to go back to the UK with my son for my brothers wedding so it just makes sense to get it done in the UK I am sure its far easier. Sorry to babble on but I guess my main question is just wondering if I can extend or if she has blocked that possibility? I mean why would she lie? maybe just to annoy me or make my life difficult but like I say if she is bluffing me then I would go early to extend say this Monday just so i am not doing it last minute and then being rejected if that makes sense, thanks alot 

47 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Someone should get this kind of treatment on video and publish it far and wide on the internet.

I wonder if I can buy a tiny wireless video camera that can be hidden inside a pair of glasses, etc and record onto a phone - something like this would be perfect to expose all sorts of crazy stuff that goes on.  I'm going to buy one of these if I can find it.

Sounds like a good idea, but probably illegal. I took two photos with my phone at the waiting room of Hong Kong Immigration one time, being miffed that they gave my girlfriend a grilling for entering HK. I was immediately confronted by a senior officer, who demanded that I delete the pics on the spot.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Someone should get this kind of treatment on video and publish it far and wide on the internet.

I wonder if I can buy a tiny wireless video camera that can be hidden inside a pair of glasses, etc and record onto a phone - something like this would be perfect to expose all sorts of crazy stuff that goes on.  I'm going to buy one of these if I can find it.

You could just record the audio, of course not as nice as a video, but easy to record. Just run an audio recorder app, this keeps recording even if you turn off the screen of the phone (at least on Android). Just hold the phone in your hand or lay it down on the table.

@Op:

I would go to an immigration office and have them check what they have in their computer about you. Probably nothing, and it won't be a problem to get the extension.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I also had a bad experience with a Tom in the Samsung service centre in Pattaya

Maybe a relative 555 , but on serious note the higher ranking tom at don muang is quite a nasty character.

I work for company doing IT equipment and spent a few days in that airport and it quite a drastic change to what was even 18 months ago .
I think a jew would of had better treatment with fake documents trying exit germany in 1942 .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

Maybe a relative 555 , but on serious note the higher ranking tom at don muang is quite a nasty character.

I work for company doing IT equipment and spent a few days in that airport and it quite a drastic change to what was even 18 months ago .
I think a jew would of had better treatment with fake documents trying exit germany in 1942 .

Need to get it going off on video placed on social media to embarrass Thailand. Problem solved, inactive post filled.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Need to get it going off on video placed on social media to embarrass Thailand. Problem solved, inactive post filled.

I would almost agree, I dont know if it would be the wisest thing to do, it did cross my mind to start recording but stupidly I only had 9% power and I didn't want to <deleted> her off if she clocked it... when I was booking my flight out she was watching over me like a naughty little school boy lol. Thing is, I dont know if you went to the media and had evidence it would end well for you, you know how it is here, but then again half of me thinks if she is doing that to 20-50 people a day, everyday she must be doing some damage and causing alot of distress to peoples lifes not to mention the damage on tourism, like I say one guy had only been here twice, and he looked like a genuine guy... whats to say he wasn't coming here to see someone in bad health? whats to say he isnt coming here to do something good for the Thai country? did he deserve to be mocked about his hair? no..... my experience with the officers over the last 6 years has always been good, never had a bollocking or sort of rudeness, always said thanks etc... certainly will never fly into DM again, unless its to go show that lady my none O visa and stick it up her a** heh

• Like 1

If I were you, I would take your son back to the UK if the law allows. 

It's getting tougher getting into Thailand on tourist or even non-tourist visas.

If you can't take back your son, you can apply for a visa that allows you to take care of your son in Thailand. I am not sure what that visa is called but I vaguely remembered it. But it's certainly not a 'tourist' visa.

Edited by EricTh

Yes, we have heard that Thai people are nice because they want your money....

But few people don't realise that the immigration have some of the nastiest people around. They should have explained to you why you are not allowed to enter.

I didn't understand the broken English. "Falang Think Thailand easy home, you go home watch me"

What does it mean?

Edited by EricTh

I know which Tom Boy your are talking about. I was denied by the same bitch without any questions asked.

You did nothing wrong in theory. Their rules and enforcement is a mess. They should make them more clear like Europe 90 days max in 180 days period.

I'm pretty confident she is bluffing you. She cant block you from getting a visa since it's not immigration juridiction. You can probably still get an extension and worst case they will give you 7 days.

You should get a non-o based on having a Thai child. I got one based on marriage and will do everything possible not to have to use any airport again. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, megapix said:

My guess is that he didn't even saw my visa and just started "doing" instead of "thinking" first. Completely unnecessary situation that he could avoided by just doing his job correctly. 

People with tourist visas have problems because IOs think they might be working illegally. You think just because somebody has a non-o visa it means the person might not be working illegally? Currently immigration is just more lenient towards people on a non-o visa.

As we can see, even after he knew that you have a non-o he still interrogated you, this would have been unthinkable last year, but has happened with you now.

As it‘s all about Kharma in Thailand. Sooner or later she we meet a farang who has influential contacts in Thailand. Contacts who will make her loose her face and that will end in a desaster for her. Hope she will get that encounter sooner than later. 

In the end they are all bluffing! They can blacklist you for a crime/long overstay, but that rest is utter BS! Had  an interesting chat with a high-ranked police officer a few days ago, who was very open to talk about that, as he knows my gf for 15yrs. 

The strategy is often intimidation as most foreigners don‘t know the exact laws. They can write what they want in the passport, but that won’t lead to an automatic rejection. In your case they should have suggestiv you to change your visa in the future. That’s it. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It may help if you post a pix of what was written beneath your entry stamp. Then wait for Ubon Joe to reply which will be morning Thai time.

If I understand correctly you not only tried for a visa exempt entry but did so without a return flight, that is always a risky manuever at best. And through Don Muang airport at that, doubly risky.

I'm surprised the airline let you board with no visa and no return flight.

As you know, what you need to do is get a non-O visa by reason of a Thai child. I am not sure Phnom Penh Embassy will issue one (since you now have a ticket to Cambodia) but see what UJ says, and meanwhile do your homework and start putting together the needed documentation for a non-O. And mayne look into what would be involved in changing your flight details to a different country if it turns out Phnom Penh unlikely to issue the visa (it is a difficult and unfirendly Embassy there).

Once you get your non O visa extent it annually and get a re-entry permit each time you leave the country.  You will then have no future problems.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ryanhull said:

My question is, has she really blocked my extension? would you try anyway?

I very much doubt it. Try to apply as before; at worst they will deny you application and, if required, give you 7 days to leave.

Using a Non-immigrant visa in the future should stop any hassle at the border.

8 hours ago, mngmn said:

You would need to be outside the country when you posted the video or be prepared to face an ugly backlash,as I’m sure they would attempt trace down the IP address for investigation 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It may help if you post a pix of what was written beneath your entry stamp. Then wait for Ubon Joe to reply which will be morning Thai time.

If I understand correctly you not only tried for a visa exempt entry but did so without a return flight, that is always a risky manuever at best. And through Don Muang airport at that, doubly risky.

I'm surprised the airline let you board with no visa and no return flight.

As you know, what you need to do is get a non-O visa by reason of a Thai child. I am not sure Phnom Penh Embassy will issue one (since you now have a ticket to Cambodia) but see what UJ says, and meanwhile do your homework and start putting together the needed documentation for a non-O. And mayne look into what would be involved in changing your flight details to a different country if it turns out Phnom Penh unlikely to issue the visa (it is a difficult and unfirendly Embassy there).

Once you get your non O visa extent it annually and get a re-entry permit each time you leave the country.  You will then have no future problems.

I find it curious that some embassies will not issue certain visas, or somehow make them difficult to obtain even with correct documentation.

14 hours ago, ryanhull said:

appreciate your entitled to your own opinion I just think your wrong

I was trying to convey how the IO may think about you.

Rant was not about my opinion, other than the vasectomy comment, which not knowing your age or parenting skills was uncalled for also - excuse me.

Sorry no help on your VISA problem, just pointing out how IO may be looking at you and why the problems. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, megapix said:

Interesting thing happened to me in Suvarnabhumi 2 days ago as well. After coming to Thailand on tourist visas and visa exempt stamps for 3 years I got non-imm "O" visa for the first time so I was pretty confident that this time they wont say anything to me because I do it the "correct" way.

After arriving to immigration counter, the IO opened my passport and looked at my previous stamps (maybe like 5 of them) almost 2 minutes and asked me what Im doing in Thailand. I said Im going to stay with my wife here (she even was on the same flight). He said that I have to go with him right now to the interrogation room. I asked why but he didn't replied and just said that I have to walk with him. We walked like 5 metres and I asked why again. He said that I don't have a visa and cannot stay in Thailand anymore. I said I have the visa and he stopped. I showed him the Non-imm "O". He said wait here and he went to call some of his colleague. That guy circles something in my passport and give back to the IO. After that he asked me to go back to the counter. And then he asked me many questions like:

Are you working in Thailand ?

I said no. I cannot, because I dont have working permit.

Do I have a child?

I said no again

How can I stay in Thailand that long without working?

I said I work in my country for few months and then come here. Which is true.

Where is my wife ?

What is her work ?

Why I have so many stamps in my passport ? 

Why I wanna stay in Thailand ? and other questions.

I didn't feel comfortable at all because his voice tone was very angry.

After that he stamped my passport and said that I can go. When I opened my passport I saw that the "O" and multiple entries were circled.

My guess is that he didn't even saw my visa and just started "doing" instead of "thinking" first. Completely unnecessary situation that he could avoided by just doing his job correctly. 

Been stamped in for 30 days many times on a Non O. Always check and go back to the IO to get the correct stamp. Some IOs are apologetic some seem to think it's my fault they didn't see the visa.