Walking away from a shuttle driver trying to demand extra money?

Hal65

On one leg of an upcoming trip it is reported that the Laos shuttle drivers, which have a monopoly in the area, will try to demand an extra 100 baht as you depart. 

In these situations how would you guys handle this? My instinct is to wave my hand back and forth with the "no' gesture and walk away towards as they continue to try to make a scene.

If it goes long I could also head towards a store, bank or elsewhere to divert the commotion (I doubt this will be needed as he knows he's scamming).

I'm somewhat lucky in that I'm 33, tall and work out so the physical threat of a middle aged SEA guy isn't there unless he grabs a weapon. Still, it's best to minimize confrontation in these situations and I'm curious if you guys think there's a better way than a quick dismissal and walking away?

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Still, it's best to minimize confrontation in these situations and I'm curious if you guys think there's a better way than a quick dismissal and walking away?

that's the one, you got it.

• Confused 1

You guys are far nicer than me. I've walked away from a demanding baht bus before but that was in Thailand.

In Laos I lean towards letting them throw a fit if they want too, maybe this is a mindset I'll regret but I don't see why you guys would let scammers push us around so readily.

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jastheace said:

its the price of a beer, a tip, why stress ? oh yeah, its the principle.....

You're saying the principle doesn't matter?

Give me $10. Right now, to my email.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

laos taxi drivers has no shame whatsoever,

you need to come to an agreement of price before you jump on, its that simple

try to demand an extra 100 baht as you depart. 

Somebody is pretty simple, all right. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Every instance of corrupt extortion has it's own flavor...

Are "you" going to take a chance of being on the recieving end of physical harm for $3.00...

Take a pic of driver and his machine...turn it in to the police...

But of course he wont be the reciever because hes 33, tall, and works out. lol

no doubt he will show them a hiding!!

that is, until the other 8 whimpy Asians come out of nowhere and get him on the ground and kick his noggin in. 

lol

no wonder these guys get in trouble in Asian countries.

sound like another typical G.I Joe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, amexpat said:

try to demand an extra 100 baht as you depart. 

Somebody is pretty simple, all right. 

I did something similar with a taxi driver in Cairo, Egypt, many years ago.  We had agreed a price of 10 Egyptian pounds for a ride to a market.  When we arrived there, he said "15 pounds".  Without missing a beat, I said, "Five pounds!".  He just laughed and I paid 10 pounds and left his taxi.  I had no idea that he was going to ask me for more money, and I certainly hadn't planned to offer him less.  The words just popped out of my mouth at that moment.  And to this day, if anyone tries to ask for more than the agreed price for anything, I offer less - just to let them know that renegotiation of deals can go both ways.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, Hal65 said:

You guys are far nicer than me. I've walked away from a demanding baht bus before but that was in Thailand.

In Laos I lean towards letting them throw a fit if they want too, maybe this is a mindset I'll regret but I don't see why you guys would let scammers push us around so readily.

Too right. I once held a bus conductor boy over the open door of a moving green bus in Bangkok after he refused to give me 2 baht change from 5 baht given. I lost my temper, I'm afraid, but he did give me the 2 baht. It was the principle, not the amount, that was important.????