Jump to content
BANGKOK
elsewheresoon

Women required to change name back after divorce

Recommended Posts

Ive read that a Thai women is required to change name back after divorce to her maiden name.

Is this true?

If yes what is the penalty for not doing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ive read that a Thai women is required to change name back after divorce to her maiden name.
Is this true?
If yes what is the penalty for not doing this?
There is no penalty but she can not remarry in Thailand using a married name. If widowed or divorced she has to change it back first.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked about just that in July when I got divorced.

My lawyer said its up to her, she can keep using my last name if she wants to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I asked about just that in July when I got divorced.
My lawyer said its up to her, she can keep using my last name if she wants to
Refused by Banglamung Amphur. She can call herself anything but cannot remarry. I checked with a Bangkok Law form and they said the same.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understood that even if she carried on using your name after divorce, she would have to change it back when she next renews her ID card?

Also legal technicalities with bank accounts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After filing for divorce resp. registering it at the Amphoer my (ex)wife had to get a new ID card there on the spot which was issued in her maiden name. So obviously the law says that when divorced a female must revert back to her maiden name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, khunano said:

After filing for divorce resp. registering it at the Amphoer my (ex)wife had to get a new ID card there on the spot which was issued in her maiden name. So obviously the law says that when divorced a female must revert back to her maiden name.

It depends very much on the amphur.  I've been divorced for ten years and my ex still uses my name.  At some offices she was told that a new ID card would be in her maiden name and others were fine with keeping her married name.  All my ex's documentation, ID card, passport, house book etc are still in her 'married' name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Refused by Banglamung Amphur. She can call herself anything but cannot remarry. I checked with a Bangkok Law form and they said the same.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

I think you mean she cannot go into another mariage using the surname she got from you when she previously married you.

 

Therefore she must before the new upcoming marriage officially revert back to her surname before she married you or change to a completely new surname (which requires selecting a new surname which is on the national registers of approved surnames but is not yet being used). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what about Thais that are born with a foreign surname as in the case of luuk krung?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HHTel said:

It depends very much on the amphur.  I've been divorced for ten years and my ex still uses my name.  At some offices she was told that a new ID card would be in her maiden name and others were fine with keeping her married name.  All my ex's documentation, ID card, passport, house book etc are still in her 'married' name.

Same here, after 5 years same married name on everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think you mean she cannot go into another mariage using the surname she got from you when she previously married you.
 
Therefore she must before the new upcoming marriage officially revert back to her surname before she married you or change to a completely new surname (which requires selecting a new surname which is on the national registers of approved surnames but is not yet being used). 
Sorry. A bit hard to understand. She is a widow. I am still alive I think. We are going to get married.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a hassle. Might change name twice. Before and after remarry.

 

Not true for foreigners living in Thailand? Only if citizens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Not true for foreigners living in Thailand? Only if citizens?

 

Correct. Although if you are divorced or widowed you may have to show your Embassy proof of this, in order to obtain an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...