Women required to change name back after divorce

elsewheresoon

Ive read that a Thai women is required to change name back after divorce to her maiden name.
Is this true?
If yes what is the penalty for not doing this?
There is no penalty but she can not remarry in Thailand using a married name. If widowed or divorced she has to change it back first.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After filing for divorce resp. registering it at the Amphoer my (ex)wife had to get a new ID card there on the spot which was issued in her maiden name. So obviously the law says that when divorced a female must revert back to her maiden name.

37 minutes ago, khunano said:

After filing for divorce resp. registering it at the Amphoer my (ex)wife had to get a new ID card there on the spot which was issued in her maiden name. So obviously the law says that when divorced a female must revert back to her maiden name.

It depends very much on the amphur.  I've been divorced for ten years and my ex still uses my name.  At some offices she was told that a new ID card would be in her maiden name and others were fine with keeping her married name.  All my ex's documentation, ID card, passport, house book etc are still in her 'married' name.

16 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Refused by Banglamung Amphur. She can call herself anything but cannot remarry. I checked with a Bangkok Law form and they said the same.

I think you mean she cannot go into another mariage using the surname she got from you when she previously married you.

Therefore she must before the new upcoming marriage officially revert back to her surname before she married you or change to a completely new surname (which requires selecting a new surname which is on the national registers of approved surnames but is not yet being used). 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

It depends very much on the amphur.  I've been divorced for ten years and my ex still uses my name.  At some offices she was told that a new ID card would be in her maiden name and others were fine with keeping her married name.  All my ex's documentation, ID card, passport, house book etc are still in her 'married' name.

Same here, after 5 years same married name on everything. 

I think you mean she cannot go into another mariage using the surname she got from you when she previously married you.

Therefore she must before the new upcoming marriage officially revert back to her surname before she married you or change to a completely new surname (which requires selecting a new surname which is on the national registers of approved surnames but is not yet being used). 
Sorry. A bit hard to understand. She is a widow. I am still alive I think. We are going to get married.

8 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Not true for foreigners living in Thailand? Only if citizens?

Correct. Although if you are divorced or widowed you may have to show your Embassy proof of this, in order to obtain an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.

Archived