Thai real-estate sales-people in Chiang Mai?

Nampa89

I've lived in Thailand off and on for 16 years and married to a Thai gov employee. I've always rented but am ready to buy now. My wife keeps telling me something that sounds absurd, saying that in Thailand people don't want to show you a house unless you're planning on buying it, again, that's nuts. That makes about as much sense as being forced to buy the first bottle of milk I see in Tesco. I've showed her how real-estate sales works in the US with house tours/shopping around but she seems to think it doesn't work that way here. So, my question is, can anyone point me to a professional business that deals with selling houses? I'm not Bill Gates wanting a massive house but I would like a good sized yard up to an acre if possible even if it's unkempt. The house doesn't need to be big since it's just the 2 of us, maybe 3 million baht ball park. I know I could easily go to one of the many subdivisions here in Chiang Mai and get a tour their houses but I'm not interested in living jammed up next to someone in clone houses. 

Your wife has some pretty strong misconceptions.

Anyone, Thai or otherwise, is happy to show their property to a genuine perspective buyer. 

When I was selling my Condo I got upset with an Agent for wasting my time after I change my plans to show a family of 5 my two bedroomed apartment, which as soon as they looked it was clear it was too small and wrong for them. 

I have also had my time wasted by so many agents trying to show me properties of places which clearly didn't match my specifications.

Thus, some people may just be sick of agents, but they will welcome a genuine prospective buyer - its the crappy agents who sully their own image.

That said, its irrelevant how things work in the US... you are not in the US. 

So.. Decide what you want, Size, Number of rooms, Price, Location etc.. contact an agent - You will get bombarded with <deleted>, but you can filter through the pictures and locations etc to come up with a short list of properties which interest you. 

------

I was just in the market to move closer to my Son's new school (in BKK) lots of agents sending me so much rubbish, nothing interested us (wife and I) within my criteria for rental and we spend days wasted looking at places which we didn't like - we ended up biting the bullet and just Buying a place outright in a nice development which we did like and will rent out easily if we need to move.  

I just bought a second rental house in CM. I rode my motorcycle around the areas I thought I want to buy in and saw tons of for sale signs. In the end I saw a new home I liked and just asked the builders who the owner/developer was. Connected with them and made my deal. I tried the myriad of face book realtors but found most were doing it part time and scheduling a time that was good for me never seemed to work out.

Just drive around the area you like, call the number on the for sale signs. Much easier. Hundreds of homes out there.

Good luck

You need to rapidly get your head into being in Thailand & accept that there is a local way of doing things. As has been said, what occurs in your home country is irrelevant. Clue yourself up in wah & rai because your medieval English acre is irrelevant here. Then accept that you are in the 21st century where real estate agents have websites, but remember they seldom delete properties that have been sold, so something you might like on screen could actually not be available. So go to websites to conduct a primary coarse screening & select properties that look likely to fit your ideas but be prepared to be disappointed when you visit.

And go around bank branches because many will have repossessed properties displayed on boards or in windows. You can find bargains because the bank is primarily interested in getting back what is still owed rather than market price.

Be very exact about what you want & where you want it. In your price range & land size you will see mostly junk and you need to specify location or you will be beyond San Khampaeng or Hang Dong very quickly. Learn local terminology, for example do you require a European kitchen.

You must accept that you will see many crappy places because the agent wants to get rid of them, so be prepared to spend plenty of time visiting unsuitable stuff. It can be a long process of rejection until you find what you are looking for.

Archived