Advice for moving to Vietnam

keysersoze276

Hello all, I already left Thailand after eight years (for all the obvious reasons so many rightfully complain about- feeling like walking across a minefield with the ridiculous visa rules and immigration officers, the strong THB, feeling less welcome in general, cost of living in BKK, etc.)  The idea was to just travel in Eastern and Central Europe for six months for a much needed break and see if things get better in Thailand.  Plus I have a gf there of 5 years, whom I love dearly, but I dislike living there even more.  First time in Europe, but I can already tell that I won't want to stay here during the winter.  I honestly don't imagine things getting overall better in Thailand and have no intention of going back.  At least not for a very long time.

I have read multiple posts about expats moving or considering moving to greener pastures in Cambodia, Philippines, and Vietnam.  I am choosing Vietnam for it's rapid growth, infrastructure, and decent internet.  Plus, as an American I can get a one year tourist visa easy.

I am looking for any and all advice to making the move to Vietnam, from others that live or have lived there, or even considered it.  Pros/Cons, best cities, links to websites to find housing, Vietnam expat sites (like our beloved Thaivisa), other information, etc.  Anything that would help!  Thanks in advance and best of luck to us all staying or leaving!  Cheers!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, losworld said:

I would narrow it down to Saigon, Vung Tau, Nha Trang and Da Nang.  I will be checking out Malaysia, PH and Vietnam very seriously if the silly games continue here in thailand.

I am flying to thailand tomorrow and ..next Tuesday I fly over to Saigon (HCMC) from there  we go to Vung Tau.(with old soviet Hydrofoil)..seems a nice sea resort town..attracts many Russians and Ukrainians. They have some offshore oil industry. About 500.000 people live there.

I will check it out..6 days should be enough..after that we head back to Thai. (Hua Hin)

Right now I do NOT think Thailand is a wise choice for longterm stay...thats My opinion...however I do NOT have a Thai partner..;-)

If you do...its another ballgame offcourse.

Take care

Hans.

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Vietnam is a good choice...communist government is much less oppressive to foreigners than the democratic government of Thailand...IMHO

"democratic" government of Thailand...mmmm YEAH RIGHT!!!

haha

Hans

14 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

@OP

I react only about how you, as many describe Thai immigration politics. How about your president who is a wall ? USA building a wall is OK. Thailand taking some immigration meaures is no no.

I think roughly 50% of the US don't support Trump. Probably even less support a wall. 

2 hours ago, Los Luver said:

@OP

I react only about how you, as many describe Thai immigration politics. How about your president who is a wall ? USA building a wall is OK. Thailand taking some immigration meaures is no no.

I did not and would not vote for Trump.  I also do not love my country.  I left long ago.  Irrelevant question as this topic isn't about politics and I am not a politician.  Thai government and powers that be (BOT, TAT, Immigration) can shoot themselves in the foot again and again, bite the hand that feeds them again and again.  It's their country, nothing to do with me.  I can't control it.  I can control only my own decisions.  I already decided to leave.  I'm gone already, so no need for anything like "If you don't like it, then you can leave", as we hear so often.  I left months ago, didn't feel the need to post about it.  Do you have any pertinent advice on Vietnam?

4 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Sounds amazing, tell me more.......

1077.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

"Dug up a grave, once or twice, livin in a necro paradise.  It's like decrepit sticky rice, livin in a Da Nang paradise."  OK, so tell us more, please?  It's pretty boring?  Old folks?  No nightlife?  I've never been there.  I've been to Hanoi twice.  Sapa, Ha Giang, Ha Long Bay, etc..  I'm 40ish and still young at heart, as best as I can.  I do appreciate nature, but am leaning toward HCMC for social reasons.  Tell us more!!!

6 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I'm 40ish and still young at heart, as best as I can.  I do appreciate nature, but am leaning toward HCMC for social reasons.  Tell us more!!!

If you're talking women of questionable virtue, then HCMC and Vung Tau are the places for you.

Don't think I managed a day in either of those places without some floozie suggesting I have a look at her room.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I had a nice beach holiday there last month.

It was a fairly crowded morgue.

chinese.jpg

@BritManToo Welome!!!!  I know you are one the most knowledgeable and helpful TV posters.  Have you ever lived in Vietnam?  Or have any insight to making the move?  I've scoured google.  Blogs with links to housing agents and blah, blah, blah.  A few forums have led me to believe I may get a better deal (I am talking about a one year condo/apartment/townhouse lease), if I just go there and physically walk around looking for actual rental signs.  Anyone have an opinion on setting it up beforehand, or just getting an airbnb and doing the footwork?

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're talking women of questionable virtue, then HCMC and Vung Tau are the places for you.

Don't think I managed a day in either of those places without some floozie suggesting I have a look at her room.

Thanks.  I didn't really mean that.  I wouldn't recommend Vietnam for that kind of thing.  Beautiful, exciting women of course.  But too often a pimp and his gang are hiding in the shadows waiting to rob you of everything.  I mean...just friendly welcoming people, hopefully can speak English since I know none of the language and to be honest...I still can barely speak Thai at all.  I'm tone deaf, I think.  And they have the five tones.  I swear to God I'm terrible at probably any Asian language.

14 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Have you ever lived in Vietnam?

I just go for a week or weekend a few times a year (CNX to Da Nang is 2,500bht return with free VISA waiver).

Hung out with many expats there, they all say it's easy to get the VISA and long term rentals at reasonable prices. Same game as Thailand, anything advertised online in English costs double, you gotta do the legwork if you want the best prices. Plenty of Viets speaking English (generally far better than Thais) everywhere I've been. (Da Nang, Saigon, Vung Tau)

Didn't see any pimps trying to rob me, but met some really nice ladies.

6 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Didn't like Vietnam at all. Too crowded, people and food not nice, beaches not nice, lacking in trees, crazy traffic. Only thing i found was good was an abundance of quality accommodations.

Rubbish.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just go for a week or weekend a few times a year.

Hung out with many expats there, they all say it's easy to get the VISA and long term rentals at reasonable prices. Same game as Thailand, anything advertised online in English costs double, you gotta do the legwork if you want the best prices. Plenty of Viets speaking English (generally far better than Thais) everywhere I've been.

(Da Nang, Saigon, Vung Tau)

Didn't see any pimps trying to rob me, but met some really nice ladies.

Nice.  Yeah, I'm thinking setting up in an airbnb for a couple weeks or a month to do some recon would be better in the long run

You made one of the BEST decisions for ALL the right reasons...you will never regret, much better than Thailand.  Go and explore it.  I and many expat friends are doing the same now just like so many expats already have.  This Thai immigration is BS.  

5 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Didn't like Vietnam at all. Too crowded, people and food not nice, beaches not nice, lacking in trees, crazy traffic. Only thing i found was good was an abundance of quality accommodations.

Stay out of the big cities Einstein! 

Loved vietnam, Danang especially, great value for money, clean beaches, international airport, easy accomadations and cheap, diverse dining, no crime, chilled relaxed, fabulous people, my money goes a long way there.

If you want hookers and drunks falling over you, pattaya is for you, but if you have a little game, dress well, you're a rock star in Vietnam, undoubtedly some of the most beautiful ladies on the planet.

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

You made one of the BEST decisions for ALL the right reasons...you will never regret, much better than Thailand.  Go and explore it.  I and many expat friends are doing the same now just like so many expats already have.  This Thai immigration is BS.  

I appreciate that and agree, Mike!

4 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Stay out of the big cities Einstein! 

Loved vietnam, Danang especially, great value for money, clean beaches, international airport, easy accomadations and cheap, diverse dining, no crime, chilled relaxed, fabulous people, my money goes a long way there.

If you want hookers and drunks falling over you, pattaya is for you, but if you have a little game, dress well, you're a rock star in Vietnam, undoubtedly some of the most beautiful ladies on the planet.

Ok.  What about Da Nang vs. HCMC or Hanoi or others?  I am not a fan of Pattaya anyway.  In my two trips to Vietnam, I found Hanoi to have a cool relaxed vibe although it is rife with petty crime, didn't care for the hundreds of zooming motorcycles on every street beeping their horns, but I suppose I could get used to it.  Never saw anyone have an accident or get hurt, although it seemed inevitable at each and every second.  lol.  HCMC is the same but bigger, from what I am told.  As far as nightlife goes, would you say Da Nang is boring?  I'm not really into clubbing.  But just kinda chilled nightlife.

Only a few short trips there but a knockout country.. post Vietnam war all emigrating Vietnamese met with success in the west and families and friends back in Vietnam know of this success and consequently my thoughts are that they think highly of the west and reflects their attitudes (certainly south of Hue).  Young all learning and receptive to English.. beer cheapest in the world perhaps. Easy to get a smile or have a laugh with most shop keepers and on most people's faces. A welcome Grab offering or metered taxi offering just about anywhere particularly when returning from the beach.  Sensational variety of food.. Hoi An.. Anbang beach there <deleted>s over Hua Hin (water and beach both reasonably clean).  Chair on beach 40baht and a 450ml beer 25b.  I am sure if can get the necessary visa then a great life awaits.  Culture from my 4 or 5 trips much more giving.. 3 star hotel offering me a free dinner for adding time to my stay with them and as a thank you... never had that once in 19 years here.  All staff learn your names.. had much more adversity in the country consequently hardier souls...and hard working. There will be the usual over charging.. but I am sure a little bit of familiarity with what something costs for a local will ensure goods priced similarly at the market and elsewhere.

Archived