Advice for moving to Vietnam

keysersoze276

Hello all, I already left Thailand after eight years (for all the obvious reasons so many rightfully complain about- feeling like walking across a minefield with the ridiculous visa rules and immigration officers, the strong THB, feeling less welcome in general, cost of living in BKK, etc.)  The idea was to just travel in Eastern and Central Europe for six months for a much needed break and see if things get better in Thailand.  Plus I have a gf there of 5 years, whom I love dearly, but I dislike living there even more.  First time in Europe, but I can already tell that I won't want to stay here during the winter.  I honestly don't imagine things getting overall better in Thailand and have no intention of going back.  At least not for a very long time.

I have read multiple posts about expats moving or considering moving to greener pastures in Cambodia, Philippines, and Vietnam.  I am choosing Vietnam for it's rapid growth, infrastructure, and decent internet.  Plus, as an American I can get a one year tourist visa easy.

I am looking for any and all advice to making the move to Vietnam, from others that live or have lived there, or even considered it.  Pros/Cons, best cities, links to websites to find housing, Vietnam expat sites (like our beloved Thaivisa), other information, etc.  Anything that would help!  Thanks in advance and best of luck to us all staying or leaving!  Cheers!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, losworld said:

I would narrow it down to Saigon, Vung Tau, Nha Trang and Da Nang.  I will be checking out Malaysia, PH and Vietnam very seriously if the silly games continue here in thailand.

I am flying to thailand tomorrow and ..next Tuesday I fly over to Saigon (HCMC) from there  we go to Vung Tau.(with old soviet Hydrofoil)..seems a nice sea resort town..attracts many Russians and Ukrainians. They have some offshore oil industry. About 500.000 people live there.

I will check it out..6 days should be enough..after that we head back to Thai. (Hua Hin)

Right now I do NOT think Thailand is a wise choice for longterm stay...thats My opinion...however I do NOT have a Thai partner..;-)

If you do...its another ballgame offcourse.

Take care

Hans.

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Vietnam is a good choice...communist government is much less oppressive to foreigners than the democratic government of Thailand...IMHO

"democratic" government of Thailand...mmmm YEAH RIGHT!!!

haha

Hans

@OP

I react only about how you, as many describe Thai immigration politics. How about your president who is a wall ? USA building a wall is OK. Thailand taking some immigration meaures is no no.

14 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

@OP

I react only about how you, as many describe Thai immigration politics. How about your president who is a wall ? USA building a wall is OK. Thailand taking some immigration meaures is no no.

I think roughly 50% of the US don't support Trump. Probably even less support a wall. 

2 hours ago, Los Luver said:

@OP

I did not and would not vote for Trump.  I also do not love my country.  I left long ago.  Irrelevant question as this topic isn't about politics and I am not a politician.  Thai government and powers that be (BOT, TAT, Immigration) can shoot themselves in the foot again and again, bite the hand that feeds them again and again.  It's their country, nothing to do with me.  I can't control it.  I can control only my own decisions.  I already decided to leave.  I'm gone already, so no need for anything like "If you don't like it, then you can leave", as we hear so often.  I left months ago, didn't feel the need to post about it.  Do you have any pertinent advice on Vietnam?

4 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Sounds amazing, tell me more.......

1077.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

"Dug up a grave, once or twice, livin in a necro paradise.  It's like decrepit sticky rice, livin in a Da Nang paradise."  OK, so tell us more, please?  It's pretty boring?  Old folks?  No nightlife?  I've never been there.  I've been to Hanoi twice.  Sapa, Ha Giang, Ha Long Bay, etc..  I'm 40ish and still young at heart, as best as I can.  I do appreciate nature, but am leaning toward HCMC for social reasons.  Tell us more!!!

Archived