Advice for moving to Vietnam

keysersoze276

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 PM, keysersoze276 said:

Nice.  Yeah, I'm thinking setting up in an airbnb for a couple weeks or a month to do some recon would be better in the long run

Yup..always best doing recon and see for yourself before making a move.

Personally I didn't like DaNang...I was expecting more and couldn't wait to leave after a day there. Not to say you may love it...to each their own.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wisperone said:

Yup..always best doing recon and see for yourself before making a move.

Personally I didn't like DaNang...I was expecting more and couldn't wait to leave after a day there. Not to say you may love it...to each their own.

I was ready to leave after a few days as well, then an expat showed me around, made all the difference. 

As far as visa runs go , never heard of a problem for anyone.

lots more action in Hanoi and Saigon, Danang is far more relaxed. 

As said to each their own. English is a

so widely spoken.

15 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

As said to each their own. English is a

so widely spoken.

Loved Vietnam - but not so much HCMC, Hanoi more so - but Da Nang (beach!) best of the large cities. 

I did not find English to be widely spoken, but able to communicate well enough to be fed and sheltered - and as I spent more time I kept drifting back to those places which did speak English.

Back to Da Nang, I think a big plus is the airport with many international flight options. Smaller locales meant flying to HCMC or Hanoi for a transfer to international flight.

was in Danang in may thought the place was great . The Thais could learnn a lot here abouut keeping beach clean snbeds well spread out with prices clearly on display, even showers on the beach with places to change  .

Beach very quiet till aboiut 430 when it starts to fill up for a couuple of hours .

Food very good taxis and motorbike taxis plentifull annd very cheap  .

Im  not back to Thailannd till December was goinng to go back to Danang then untill realised 

its very cool that time of year .

21 minutes ago, Grundy1927 said:

was in Danang in may thought the place was great . The Thais could learnn a lot here abouut keeping beach clean snbeds well spread out with prices clearly on display, even showers on the beach with places to change  .

Beach very quiet till aboiut 430 when it starts to fill up for a couuple of hours .

Food very good taxis and motorbike taxis plentifull annd very cheap  .

Im  not back to Thailannd till December was goinng to go back to Danang then untill realised 

its very cool that time of year .

December weather 25 ish during the day

showers, change facilities AND washroom facilities  on the beach free of charge, 

40 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

December weather 25 ish during the day

showers, change facilities AND washroom facilities  on the beach free of charge, 

Think youl fimd more like 18 in December 

Showers etc free to use if youve purchasef sunbed which are very cheap 

Cold beer only 30000 dong  =37 bhat ????

• 3 weeks later...

I realy liked Vietnam...Vung Tau was very laid back....could walk even late at night arround dark streets..No hassles...no probs. No beggars. Saw many older Aussie vets living there.

Saigon imho is way to hectic..during rush hours these lunnies even drive their motobikes on the sidewalks.!!! Terrible. I was glad to leave after 2 days.

The only thing i did not like about Vietnam were the realy hard bed matrasses...in the hotels:-( Very hard..not comfortable at all. 

Viet ladies are taller then Thai (on average)...and imho prettier. Very easy to make contact...even though most do not speak english...or low level.

Vietnam also has GREAT tasty coffee..!!! Number one in the region. Their food certainly was on par with Thai food...or even better imho.

I am planning an extensive trip to Vietnam and Malaysia This December and January..!!

Thailand is done for me. Too touristic...too expensive...too unfriendly...and their government is too corrupt. Certainly NOT an option for a longterm stay.

my 2 € cents.

Good night.

Hans

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, keysersoze276 said:

cost of living in BKK

On 8/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, keysersoze276 said:

ridiculous visa rules and immigration

Seems typical reasons of those who downgrade their life to a 3rd world environment.

I find it all quite sad.

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems typical reasons of those who downgrade their life to a 3rd world environment.

I find it all quite sad.

Not sure if I follow you here, what are you saying?  But I find it nearly insane anyone would choose to visit or stay in Thailand at this point.  For any reason, other than owning very significant property, business, or wife and kids.  

6 hours ago, JWRC said:

Vietnam has a significant trade in dogs, for human consumption, makes me sick thinking of it. You will never know what you are eating.

Another clueless poster that has never been to Vietnam. 

Dog meat in restaurants??? Really, I'm sure you can find something else to bash about. I can't believe the ntelligence level on this forum.

the jerry springer show doesn't have entertainment like this.

1 minute ago, Ron jeremy said:

Another clueless poster that has never been to Vietnam. 

Dog meat in restaurants??? Really, I'm sure you can find something else to bash about. I can't believe the ntelligence level on this forum.

the jerry springer show doesn't have entertainment like this.

I'm no expert on Vietnam but I think there definitely are dog meat restaurants. The quite decent hotel I stayed at in Hanoi had it on their menu in three different dishes. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm no expert on Vietnam but I think there definitely are dog meat restaurants. The quite decent hotel I stayed at in Hanoi had it on their menu in three different dishes. 

Not calling BS but in the many years I have travelled, I have never encountered dog meat on any restaurant menu. therw are places where the locals may eat it, it is a different breed of dog bread for the meat, but as far as giving it to tourists unwillingly, I don't think so. 

I stick with chicken pork anyways.

hey maybe it's a delicacy. Hahaha

cant be much worse than Thai beef!

Update from the OP- I thought I would give a little update on my progress since the thread has changed from advice on relocation to the morals of eating meat.  I stayed in Europe for three months instead of six, like I hinted at in the OP because I don't think my body can tolerate winter anymore. 

I just arrived in HCM a few days ago.  Applied online for an invitation letter for a one year METV for Vietnam (Unfortunately, only Americans can do this- single or multiple entry is offered).  Got the invitation letter, printed it.  Showed it to immigration upon arrival at the airport, paid the stamping fee and got one year within a few minutes.  Dropped off my bags and took a shower, went outside and just randomly walked around and found a bank.  Walked in like I own the place and opened an account with nothing more than my passport and visa (valid for at least 6 months) and gave them the minimum deposit or 50,000 VND or 2 USD or 65 baht.

Oh and by the way, must have visited 30+ countries by now.  Never ever had to show money or a bank statement, an outbound ticket, proof of accommodation, or any of the other <deleted> that we have to go through in Thailand.  The largest inconvenience I have ever had to endure is filling out an application, and most times I don't need to bother with that.

Everything has been ridiculously easy.  Food is cheaper and better here in my opinion.  Definitely the beer and coffee, no arguing that.  And I feel waaaaay more welcome.  Put's Thailand's self-proclaimed "Land of Smiles" slogan to shame!

Not all sunshine and roses though.  2nd night here I had the flu.  Stayed in my room all day, went out late to find some noodle soup.  The place was closed.  Pulled out my phone on a dark empty street and two guys on a motorcycle creeped up behind me.  No lights, quiet bike, didn't notice them until they were right next to me.  Guy on the back reached out and grabbed my phone in my hand.  Luckily I was sober and aware and gripped it and was able to pull it away.  That stuff happens all the time here and makes me sick.  So...next stop is Da Nang! Cheers!

p.s.  I did eat horse stew once in the mountains in Northern Vietnam.  Sorry I'm not sorry.  I was hungry.

doggies goin' to market in rural Vietnam...didn't look like no special breed to me, just whatever strays were picked up along the way...

and then tutsi sez to a misbehaving niece 'if ye keep on upsetting yer mother she'll call the ugly man in the dirty pickup truck that collects naughty kids and they never see their parents again...' that got her to sit down and behave...

doggies.JPG

In many asian countries SOME people eat dogs..also in China, Taiwan...and South-Korea...so whats your point??

better educated Vietnamese people do NOT eat dog meat. Trust me. In the time we were in Vietnam is did NOT encounter any dog meat in restaurants or the likes. Hot dogs (spelled Hot Toc in Vietnam) are just sausages...there is NO dog meat inside!

Yes the street dogs in Thailand are a NUISANCE...they also attacked my GF and one dog bite her in the foot...not realy serious...but still she needed to go to hospital for rabies and tetanus shots. What  did the police???  OO well...NOTHING!!! The dog in fact was not a stray but smb property..he got under the fence and bite her on the public street...if this happend in Germany they would have killed the dog..for sure and the owner would got a fine.

BTW I like HORSE meat!!! I always buy it in nearby Belgium or Netherlands...for a special horse stew sauce over our French fries (Fritten)..its very tasty!!! Very nutricious...has low fat and much proteins!!!:-) Together with mayonaise its an unbeatable combo:-) Yummie!!

In Thailand fe they mistreat elefants...so that is a reason to avoid Thailand?`?? LOL

Come on guys...stay realistic...TIA.....This Is Asia..!!

Hans.

5 hours ago, Hans007 said:

Hot dogs (spelled Hot Toc in Vietnam) are just sausages...there is NO dog meat inside!

Hans.

I believe that 'hot toc' means barber or hair cutting in Vietnamese...hairy meat balls, sweep up the clippings offa the floor of the shop and mix with ground meat (dog or otherwise) and spices...tasty wid noodles and a good broth...

On 9/23/2019 at 3:55 PM, keysersoze276 said:

Update from the OP- I thought I would give a little update on my progress since the thread has changed from advice on relocation to the morals of eating meat.  I stayed in Europe for three months instead of six, like I hinted at in the OP because I don't think my body can tolerate winter anymore. 

I just arrived in HCM a few days ago.  Applied online for an invitation letter for a one year METV for Vietnam (Unfortunately, only Americans can do this- single or multiple entry is offered).  Got the invitation letter, printed it.  Showed it to immigration upon arrival at the airport, paid the stamping fee and got one year within a few minutes.  ........

...How did you get the 1 year Visa since you are not US citizen...

I can't believe they are that stupid at the airport...

They may cancel it when they discover it at 1 of the border runs that you must do every 90 days... or worse yet, they may accuse you of Fraud... and be barred from reentering the country for ever; or even throw you in jail...  Remember it is still a communist country after all

On 9/23/2019 at 9:07 PM, emptypockets said:

Always get a laugh out of these 'I choose a place' no you don't . You get a place that allows you to stay on their conditions. 

As many self important people are finding out.

Within the parameters of places we are allowed to go, we choose, we select..from a list. Its nothing to do with self importance. There are dozens of places to select from. More to the point there are many places we would not want to go. The USA, most of Arabia, most of Africa. So yes we choose. And so fo you.

Archived