BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Man in NYC killed when elevator drops, crushes him between shaft and wall: report

A man reportedly died in New York City on Thursday when an apartment building's elevator suddenly dropped, crushing him inside.

Around 8:30 a.m., the unidentified man was exiting the elevator into the lobby of the building, located in the Kips Bay neighborhood on the East Side of Manhattan, when the elevator malfunctioned, according to WABC-TV.

The elevator reportedly left the man trapped between the elevator car and a wall within the elevator shaft. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The city's fire department tweeted Thursday morning they were investigating "a confined space incident" at a location on Third Avenue and East 25th Street, but didn't immediately provide additional information online.

The 23-story building, called the Manhattan Promenade, had recently been fined nearly $1,300 because of unsafe elevator conditions, The New York Times reported.

Inspectors reportedly "found that a safety feature on one of the elevators had been disabled or tampered with," and the building was ordered to stop using that particular elevator until the problem had been fixed. It wasn't immediately clear whether the man who died Thursday was riding the flawed elevator.

Full article

Can someone that understands this explain what happened? He was at the lobby and exiting and then the elevator suddenly dropped. Dropped to where? It was already at the lobby.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Can someone that understands this explain what happened? He was at the lobby and exiting and then the elevator suddenly dropped. Dropped to where? It was already at the lobby.

basement , parking lower level

• Like 1

8 hours ago, madmen said:

basement , parking lower level

Why didn't they say that then? I wouldn't assume that a NYC elevator goes lower than the lobby.

Posted (edited)

<<<< Removed post and a reply edited out>>>>

Anyway, this explains and shows the accident much better, leaving very little to the imagination. Warning -- graphic content. Here they do mention a BASEMENT floor which is obviously lower. They do not say whether it has parking, but of course that's not important to the story either way.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-shows-moment-man-crushed-by-elevator-at-manhattan-promenade-building/

Edited by metisdead
  • Thanks 1

So this was a newer high end building and the elevator involved wasn't even the one flagged already as dodgy. Rents there are 3600 USD monthly for a one bedroom. 

Maybe people should think twice before putting their hands in to stop a closing door. I do that often. 

That security video was all too graphic and horrific.

If this was indeed tampering, or deliberate disabling of the safety mechanisms, I hope the perpetrator is charged with criminal homicide.

Horrific death of a young man

• Like 2

I think in this case the article I was referring to was written with a local New York audience in mind and perhaps in New York buildings generally have a floor under the lobby. I don't share that assumption about buildings so I was having difficulty picturing exactly how this very unlucky man was killed from the reading that posted account. The video definitely cleared that up! 

On 8/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

left the man trapped between the elevator car and a wall within the elevator shaft

He must have been very thin/slim.

32 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

He must have been very thin/slim.

Not particularly.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, Jingthing said:

it doesn't have to drop far.  Even if it were the lowest floor level, there are several feet of cabling, motors, shock springs, etc. 

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

it doesn't have to drop far.  Even if it were the lowest floor level, there are several feet of cabling, motors, shock springs, etc. 

OK, if you say so. 

Looking at the video in such an accident I find it surprising that there was room between the car and the front external wall to crush him down like that away from the car. It doesn't look like there would be room for that for a regular sized adult male. 

Inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed. 

"Sam Waisbren, 30, clawed desperately to escape the packed lift as it plunged from the lobby into the darkness of the shaft below, but he was crushed between the elevator car and the shaft wall, according to officials."

So it was 5 people trapped inside the elevator car. They survived because it was only a few feet down from the lobby.