Suvarnabhumi Airport Abuse

I would say some don't want you here. Some want you here. Most don't care. 

I'm Canadian too. I was shocked when in the first month here (5-6 years ago) a taxi driver told me to go back to my country. I was sure he was joking but he was not. I never met this kind of taxi driver again. Some driver told me instead to stay away from bargirl since there is plenty of less troublesome girl in Thailand and I listened to them. ????

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Interrogated by Aus customs for 30 mins because I had three holidays to SE Asia in 2 years.

If you are an Oz passport holder, at least they have to let you in. With a Thai Immigration guy, who is being abusive to someone, as is suggested in the OP, you probably got to just suck it up.

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Always read these stories with the thought in the back of my mind there must be more to the story.

I dont understand why everyone thinks Thai immigration are tough? You would not be able to stay in Australia on tourist extensions same as it is very difficult to get long term living visas. I think Immigration very reasonable here. Maybe a few grumpy officers but Ive struck the same back home. Interrogated by Aus customs for 30 mins because I had three holidays to SE Asia in 2 years.

My Thai partner was granted a one year multiple entry visa for Australia and was able to come and go as she pleased using the immigration auto gates.

But of a difference aye?

• Like 2

It is very clear and I am sure that it has been stated officially that Thailand does not want foreigners in the country other than on terms which are implicit in the Immigration Act or specified by ministerial decrees.  The particular officer is offended by being treated as if he were a fool, had you showed him the TM30 which for some reason you had with you, it could have not been any worse.  

Edited by tgeezer

1 minute ago, tgeezer said:

The particular officer is offended by being treated as if he were a fool, had you showed him the TM30 it could have not been any worse.  

I don't see the relevance of a TM30 to an airport immigration official. 

• Like 1

I would say some don't want you here. Some want you here. Most don't care. 

I'm Canadian too. I was shocked when in the first month here (5-6 years ago) a taxi driver told me to go back to my country. I was sure he was joking but he was not. I never met this kind of taxi driver again. Some driver told me instead to stay away from bargirl since there is plenty of less troublesome girl in Thailand and I listened to them. [emoji846]

I had exactly the same taxi-driver-experience. I told him that, if all taxi drivers were like him, I would for sure go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't see the relevance of a TM30 to an airport immigration official. 

I has no relevance whatsoever at an Immigration counter if anything it is a false statement if an address is reported but the OP was the one who said that he had one.   

There are obnoxious people in all walks of life, although Immigration Officers tend to have more than most.  Quite why people appear so shocked and then decide to base their opinion about the whole country, and their future there, on just one or two unpleasant people, I have no idea.  Seems totally irrational.

• Like 2

Regardless if the story is true or not. I`ve experienced it myself so I know exactly that goosebumps feeling, being helpless. Most IO know exactly how far they can go without putting themselves in a risk. It seem like LOS is a places without rules, but if they would harass a visitor more than verbally and it`s filmed by coincidence = he/she will loose the job for there. That already has happened in the past with police officers in similar scenarios.

Like I said...when I experienced that myself, I was very close to explode, because it`s a super humiliating experience. But that`s their strategy...waiting to respond to the provocations to give them a real argument to deny you. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

I have had them at the airport when returning to Thailand after visiting Australia, have my current visa stamp in my passport along with a current re entry but for some reason they refuse to simply stamp you in and start going through all your stamps and giving me the evil eye, longest was around 15 to 20 minutes then they started muttering in thai and stamped me through. Some of them are just ar*eh*les

• Like 2