Suvarnabhumi Airport Abuse

Keep reading statements by people who have problems with immigration that Thailand does not want 'farangs' Has it ever occurred to those making this statements, that it may not be limited to "farangs" but also Indian and Chinese?

Truth is with such big number, Immigration now has to actually do some work, they are busy for their entire shift.

Prior to all the tourists and now their salary has not changed, but work load doubled.

Yes i totally agree  it is out of line to be rude and have experienced it myself, but it does not translate into they do not want "farang' here. 

In case of OP, since you not planning to return and have nothing to hold you here, why not report your experience to relevant department?

May be it will be ignored, but may be officer will be disciplined. Surely better than just posting on Thai visa where it achieves nothing

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BestB said:

In case of OP, since you not planning to return and have nothing to hold you here, why not report your experience to relevant department?

May be it will be ignored, but may be officer will be disciplined. Surely better than just posting on Thai visa where it achieves nothing

Reporting to the relevant department will 100% guaranteed achieve zero. At least on this forum someone will read the issue instead of what the Thais will do, which is file it in the bin without reading it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Reporting to the relevant department will 100% guaranteed achieve zero. At least on this forum someone will read the issue instead of what the Thais will do, which is file it in the bin without reading it.

So you have made reports in the past is that why you know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Reporting Police to Police is sort of a catch 22.

Yes, this is why i said, in case of OP, he already said he is not planning to return and nothing holding him here so no problem to report

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

great, please tell where you made the report, what was report about and what was an outcome?

Not sure why you're so aggressive about this matter but I made official reports twice since I have been here, once in Phuket about 8 years ago and one more recently. Nothing happened in either case as I gather, nor were the people I spoke to interested in listening to me. 

Edit: I forgot, actually three times, I was at the police station in 2007 after a gang of girls attacked my girlfriend at the time, I gave information about the attackers but gather nothing was done then either. Complaints just aren't taken seriously in Thailand, the more you complain about nothing happening the more likely they are to ignore you in the future.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Not sure why you're so aggressive about this matter but I made official reports twice since I have been here, once in Phuket about 8 years ago and one more recently. Nothing happened in either case as I gather, nor were the people I spoke to interested in listening to me.

What do you find to be aggressive? where did you make the report

It happens to many immigrants in the UK, now some of us know how they must feel.  There is no accounting for racism, bias and stupidity, you get all of those in every society.  It's very unfortunate when you meet it with an official, officer or some other government lackey.   You just have to keep silent, and suck it up. 

• Thanks 1

There are some Thais who know they can be as rude as they like to foreigners and get away with it because " this is Thailand and you have no rights here ".

I have experienced this on several occasions , when you speak Thai you often hear the things people say about you when they assume you won`t understand.

Only a minority like this,of course, and usually those most exposed to tourists, but not always.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Keep reading statements by people who have problems with immigration that Thailand does not want 'farangs' Has it ever occurred to those making this statements, that it may not be limited to "farangs" but also Indian and Chinese?

Truth is with such big number, Immigration now has to actually do some work, they are busy for their entire shift.

Prior to all the tourists and now their salary has not changed, but work load doubled.

Yes i totally agree  it is out of line to be rude and have experienced it myself, but it does not translate into they do not want "farang' here. 

Since Big Joke it seems their workload has increased exponentially. I have sympathy for them being overworked and not getting their share of the cut, and it makes me wonder how much longer it can go on for until the small people in immigration say, "Enough is enough". 

Only so long you can take it out on foreigners until you realise that they're not the problem and it won't go away by simply releasing on them. 

My wife was told at our most recent immigration visit that the measures such as TM30 are to try and tackle a large number of illegal immigrants from neighbouring countries rather than Europe/US but they have to have the same rules for everyone. Which seems weird as their visa-exemption rules specifically give differing rules to different countries.

11 hours ago, ttaylor said:

At no point was i 'Thai bashing'.  I pointed out the actions of one immigration officer and my feelings towards it.  Thanks for your input. 

"It has become very clear from this experience the Thai's really do not want 'farang' in their country"

It is clear that 1 immigration officer didn't want YOU here. That is something completely different. Have you been here before and if so how long?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Since Big Joke it seems their workload has increased exponentially. I have sympathy for them being overworked and not getting their share of the cut, and it makes me wonder how much longer it can go on for until the small people in immigration say, "Enough is enough". 

Only so long you can take it out on foreigners until you realise that they're not the problem and it won't go away by simply releasing on them. 

But they will go away, slowly tourist numbers are dropping.

Left hand is chasing people, right hand is pushing people away.

I have traveled extensively in my life, from the top of my head, i think i have been through 35-38 countries and some immigration were not overly friendly, but were not rude either.

Thai immigration is the only place where i encountered rudeness.

I would say, they need more officers to handle the loads or more breaks during the shifts

With all the visa crackdowns, its also getting silly, some cases genuine, some cases over the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do tend to agree. There seems to be a real disconnect between the ministries. The TAT and parts of the government seem to understand how much tourism brings to the table in terms of revenue and job creation. But immigration has no concept whatsoever, of any of this. They can be surly, nasty, dismissive and rude. And without any doubt in my mind, they share the same sentiment as the army. The hate foreigners, they are very racist, they are very xenophobic, they are very fearful, and they have very, very little intelligence or wisdom of any kind. 

I asked a question the other day, and the immigration officer looked at me and said, you can always stay in your country. Now, I have been living here for over 15 years. I spend on average between a million and two million baht a year here. How does that compare with the average Thai person in terms of revenue for the economy? Where is the respect? These guys are beyond goons. They are incompetent and nearly illiterate, in terms of the world at large. 

Of course their is a disconnect between an department which promotes tourism and a department who is responsible to stop people entering the country for the wrong reasons. "Where is the respect?" Can you speak Thai?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Firstly, it's not general immigration policy to treat foreigners this way. However it seems to me that there are some antagonistic, arrogant and biased individuals in all areas of Thai bureaucracy and they never get disciplined, counselled or retrained because they are government workers. They continue on their (un)merry way inflicting their personal views on all they contact and with immigration workers, it's us foreigners.

It's a down side of the famous Thai tolerance that allows them to keep their job, combined with the easily adopted superiority complex that seems rampant in the Thai public service.

i think what you have written is quite true.   Substitute American for Thai and I think it would be just as true.    The treatment I received at the airport when returning to the States (on more than one occasion) many years ago ticks all the boxes you mention.  And I am a citizen of that country.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

My wife was told at our most recent immigration visit that the measures such as TM30 are to try and tackle a large number of illegal immigrants from neighbouring countries rather than Europe/US but they have to have the same rules for everyone. Which seems weird as their visa-exemption rules specifically give differing rules to different countries.

That's exactly what's happening. Believe  it or not, most Thais like westerners .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TSF said:

Very good friend of mine from USA visits Thailand for approx 10-day holidays every 1-2 years, his last trip was about 18 months ago. He's quite well off, carries a good amount of cash, has hotel bookings paid in advance for his entire stay, and of course has a return air ticket. Last time he was really psssssss'd off, told me he was hassled entering at Swampy by a very aggressive, unfriendly IO. So whether others choose to believe or not there is definitely an anti-westerner bias going on. 

And you base this on one person's account. Well if you only need one person's account for a truth, I know a guy who has been coming here sometimes alone sometimes with his wife to stay at their beach condo. He comes about 6 times a year and always on entry stamp. He has extended his entry stamp on occasions. He usually stops over on a trip back from a business trip for a week or more. He has been doing this for over a decade.

Can you please explain to me why this heathen Farang has not been given his marching orders? Surely he and his wife could not have slipped through the cracks this many times.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There are obnoxious people in all walks of life, although Immigration Officers tend to have more than most.  Quite why people appear so shocked and then decide to base their opinion about the whole country, and their future there, on just one or two unpleasant people, I have no idea.  Seems totally irrational.

While it might seem irrational to you, I think it is quite reasonable given the regularity one comes across obnoxious Thais in uniform who thrive on lauding it over visitors and "showing off" their power. It makes many of us sick and is a dreadful welcome to the country if the Immigration Officer is rude and obnoxious for no good reason....which increasingly seems to be the case if reports here are anything to go by!

Edited by mstevens
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

While it might seem irrational to you, I think it is quite reasonable given the regularity one comes across obnoxious Thais in uniform who thrive on lauding it over visitors and "showing off" their power. It makes many of us sick and is a dreadful welcome to the country if the Immigration Officer is rude and obnoxious for no good reason....which increasingly seems to be the case if reports here are anything to go by!

Don't need to wait until you get to Thailand! I have observed Thai consulate staff in Australia being rude and obnoxious. In one case a member of staff yelled at someone for using their mobile phone.