Hong Kong families form peaceful human chains ahead of airport protest

rooster59

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Lovely story of families and the elderly all joining hands and wrenching a tear even from the hardest of us. 'Stop calling us rioters, we're peaceful protestors.'

No mention of the absolute chaos caused by rioters in Kwun Tong last night, attacking a police station with rocks, bamboo poles and slingshots though.

Odd hey?

Not odd. Covered on other news stories.

One could ask the same about stories and posts attempting to paint all HK protestors as violent rioters.

:coffee1:

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Basic law was violated.  Surprised it took this long.  The extradition bill was a huge blunder obviously, handed down by Carry Lam who talks about retiring to the English countryside.  She is an awful roll model for Hong Kong   Beijing and Carry Lam made this mistake, not the Hong Kong people.  So far, given the size of the demonstrations, the violence has been minimal.  The disruptions are just something that needs to put up with, as most of Hong Kong supports the demonstrators. 

Even with all this, I prefer China to Thailand as China has more freedom, better opportunities and far less visa hassles.  Oh, almost forgot, alcohol is much cheaper too.

From your comment "Even with all this, I prefer China to Thailand as China has more freedom, better opportunities and far less visa hassles.  Oh, almost forgot, alcohol is much cheaper too."

Your comment is massive. You want to make the claim that China has more freedom than Thailand ? I do not want to comment on this. But I say, that just about everybody accepts that there is more freedom in Hong Kong than places like Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, etc. The people of Hong Kong have got the freedom to bring the city-centre to a standstill, they've got the freedom to turn up at the airport and block flights. That's a lot more freedom than what people have in other places. And the riot police in Hong Kong, they continue to give the demonstraters the freedom to do this, the riot police have not been ordered to stop and clear any crowds that block any traffic.

Why is it, that some of the media are zooming in on Hong Kong, about Hong Kong's demonstrations on the lack of freedom ?  Why not zoom in on other places that have got less freedom than Hong Kong ?
Why is this ?

7 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

What's your point comrade?

My point is this, from the OP, the demonstrations are basically killing of Hong Kong's tourism sector, visitor arrivals have dropped by roughly half compared to a year ago, the demonstrations are harming and destroying Hong Kong's economy. This is not good for Hong Kong.

Are the demonstraters going to take over the airport again ? Do you think it will be a good idea for the demonstraters to turn up at the airport in one weeks time, and block flights for three weeks ? How about four weeks ? Do you think it will be a good idea if the demonstraters disrupt traffic in various places in Hong Kong for another four months ?

I'm just trying to say, the demonstraters are harming Hong Kong, the demonstraters are harming the actual place that they live in. Who is feeling the pain more ? The people of Hong Kong, bearing in mind that it is their economy that is being trashed, OR, are the guys in Beijing feeling the pain more ?

Carrying out demonstrations that are trashing the place that you live in, it's self-harm, it's best to not do it.

2 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

My point is this, from the OP, the demonstrations are basically killing of Hong Kong's tourism sector, visitor arrivals have dropped by roughly half compared to a year ago, the demonstrations are harming and destroying Hong Kong's economy. This is not good for Hong Kong.

Are the demonstraters going to take over the airport again ? Do you think it will be a good idea for the demonstraters to turn up at the airport in one weeks time, and block flights for three weeks ? How about four weeks ? Do you think it will be a good idea if the demonstraters disrupt traffic in various places in Hong Kong for another four months ?

I'm just trying to say, the demonstraters are harming Hong Kong, the demonstraters are harming the actual place that they live in. Who is feeling the pain more ? The people of Hong Kong, bearing in mind that it is their economy that is being trashed, OR, are the guys in Beijing feeling the pain more ?

Carrying out demonstrations that are trashing the place that you live in, it's self-harm, it's best to not do it.

Yes. And you're really concerned about HK.

You do realize that your posting history is public, right?

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Yes. And you're really concerned about HK.

You do realize that your posting history is public, right?

"Yes. And you're really concerned about HK."
Well, I would prefer Hong Kong to continue being a prosperous place, with an economy that works and has growth. I gain nothing if Hong Kong's economy is harmed, and those demonstraters are harming Hong Kong's economy when they disrupt traffic and the airport. The OP has already said that arrivals entering Hong Kong have dropped by half compared to last year.

You talk about concern for Hong Kong. I'm going to ask, what about the media, are the media really concerned about Hong Kong ? If they really are concerned about freedom in Hong Kong, why not be so concerned about the people in various other places, other places that have less freedom than Hong Kong ? Why has there been almost no media coverage about the hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees who are still in Bangladesh, they went there about two years ago from Burma. Bangladesh, supposedly, is not fully accepting them.

My opinion is, the media is giving coverage to what's happening in Hong Kong, but they're giving less coverage to events that are far more serious than what's happening in Hong Kong. Why is this ? What's the real reason, for giving a moderate amount of coverage to the Hong Kong demonstrations, bearing in mind that they're giving less coverage to other events that are more serious. I would love it if, you or anybody else, could comment on this point.

11 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"Yes. And you're really concerned about HK."
Well, I would prefer Hong Kong to continue being a prosperous place, with an economy that works and has growth. I gain nothing if Hong Kong's economy is harmed, and those demonstraters are harming Hong Kong's economy when they disrupt traffic and the airport. The OP has already said that arrivals entering Hong Kong have dropped by half compared to last year.

You talk about concern for Hong Kong. I'm going to ask, what about the media, are the media really concerned about Hong Kong ? If they really are concerned about freedom in Hong Kong, why not be so concerned about the people in various other places, other places that have less freedom than Hong Kong ? Why has there been almost no media coverage about the hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees who are still in Bangladesh, they went there about two years ago from Burma. Bangladesh, supposedly, is not fully accepting them.

My opinion is, the media is giving coverage to what's happening in Hong Kong, but they're giving less coverage to events that are far more serious than what's happening in Hong Kong. Why is this ? What's the real reason, for giving a moderate amount of coverage to the Hong Kong demonstrations, bearing in mind that they're giving less coverage to other events that are more serious. I would love it if, you or anybody else, could comment on this point.

I was talking about faux concern, as appears in your posts. The media's job is to report, not to be "really concerned". And yes, I get it the new deflection talking point is "the media".

What about this. What about that. This topic is about HK. It's happening now, it's news, it gets covered.

HK, by virtue of being a business hub, plus the China association garners more attention than other places. Nothing special about that.

Didn't notice you were all that "concerned" about freedom and human rights media coverage when the Uighur issues were discussed. Funny that.

12 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

If they really are concerned about freedom in Hong Kong, why not be so concerned about the people in various other places, other places that have less freedom than Hong Kong ?

You mean like Xinjiang province or Tibet?

Archived