Encouraged by Johnson's visit, UK officials now hoping rest of EU agrees to work on Brexit solution

rooster59

2 hours ago, oxforddiver said:

Regarding the Irish backstop problem, I read a comment a while back that pointed out that Switzerland has five borders with EU partners and they are open and do not have a problem.

I myself have walked at Geneva airport into France to catch a plane and saw no controls at all.

Why is Ireland being held up as a special case, or is the EU just creating a problem. Clever.

A very interesting point, but possibly because Switzerland has a relatively small population and 'normal' economic immigrants (i.e. the poor) know they stand virtually zero chance of getting a job or being allowed to remain?

A question mark as this is just my assumption.

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you recall back in November of last year Johnson made a big show and promised to deliver an alternative plan B.

He never did.

One more his lies.

There is not a plan B alternative . Plan B is Brexit which is imminent . BJ is playing  poker to the naive EU panel who know nothing about his winning hand or how to play the game. The 30 days given to BJ to come up with a solution will be extended to run down the clock and achieve total Brexit . BJ is just going through the motions knowing full well that there is a rigid impasse with the EU who have outgrown their remit . 

I don't believe that for one minute!

IMO BJ is ONLY looking for a small amendment to the 'backstop'...  Far less than should be required when it comes to the EU/May 'agreement'....

But I hope I'm wrong as I gather Boris has also said that the Uk is not paying the EU's demand of 39 bn (????) - only the amount that is legally required. :smile:

As  a side information , I just yesterday got from 2 financial U.K. transfer organistions Neteller & Skrill (former Moneybookers )  the news by email  that of 31 October to1 nov . they change their organization to Ireland for their non U.K. costumers .

So I think this time everybody in the financial world is convinced this is indeed  final Brexit .

2 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:
5 hours ago, oxforddiver said:

Regarding the Irish backstop problem, I read a comment a while back that pointed out that Switzerland has five borders with EU partners and they are open and do not have a problem.

I myself have walked at Geneva airport into France to catch a plane and saw no controls at all.

Why is Ireland being held up as a special case, or is the EU just creating a problem. Clever.

A very interesting point, but possibly because Switzerland has a relatively small population and 'normal' economic immigrants (i.e. the poor) know they stand virtually zero chance of getting a job or being allowed to remain?

A question mark as this is just my assumption.

These two posts are indicative of the average Brexiteers woeful fact checking. Someone makes an ignorant comment and Brexiteers leap upon it as if it were Holy Writ!

As @brakar says, Switzerland is a member of the Schengen area, so there are no passport or other immigration controls when entering France from Switzerland. That is why @oxforddiver saw nor passed through any.

But as Switzerland is not part of the customs union, there are customs checks when entering the EU from Switzerland and vice versa.

Brexit: What can UK learn from other external EU borders?

The Swiss border is often held up as an example of what could be achieved in Ireland, but here too there is physical infrastructure at all the main crossings - it is a hard border.

According to information from the International Road Transport Union (IRU), the average waiting time for lorries carrying goods ranges from 20 minutes to more than two hours if full inspections have to be carried out.

Before anyone says the BBC would say that as they are biased, a reminder that Dominic Rabb repeated Quentin Letts claim on the BBC Today programme earlier this year, and went unchallenged on his ignorance of the facts. Others have made the same ignorant claim on other BBC programmes and in other MSM and gone unchallenged.

BBC lets Brexiters’ Swiss border untruths go unchecked

Perhaps it is understandable that presenters like Robinson and Mair do not challenge Brexiters on this. They are, after all, not trade experts. And there is sometimes such a torrent of misinformation coming from the likes of Raab that an interviewer cannot interrupt at every false point – they are trying to produce programming that is at least somewhat coherent and enjoyable.

But untruths about the Swiss border have been pumped out by Brexiters for months now. Journalists and their editors have a responsibility to clamp down on this line. Not to do so helps the Brexiters push their line that a chaotic “no deal” would somehow be fine. It won’t. It will be chaotic and broadcasters’ audiences won’t thank them for allowing it to unfold.

16 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

I don't believe that for one minute!

IMO BJ is ONLY looking for a small amendment to the 'backstop'...  Far less than should be required when it comes to the EU/May 'agreement'....

But I hope I'm wrong as I gather Boris has also said that the Uk is not paying the EU's demand of 39 bn (????) - only the amount that is legally required. :smile:

Me to , very disappointed if BJ struck a similar deal to the TM one . However I just listened to the BBC news and BJ said that under the TM deal the UK would be tied to the EU rules ( therefore no further trade deals with other countries / hands tied ) and would have no say on any EU decisions and that he said was completely unacceptable . The onus is now on the EU to step down from their aloof stance , listen , think the scenario through and talk sensibly at negotiations . BJ has had a good weekend in France and the rigid EU will start to be flexible , if they know whats good for them . What their main aim is / was, to demonstrate to other EU members what will happen to them if they decide to leave the club . They are now in a corner and realise that their bully boy tactics will not work with BJ .  

This 3 year TM led debacle now seems to be coming to a conclusion and I forecast that the UK pound will soon start to climb back up cos all the signs are for positive progress  .

TM , possibly the worse UK Home Secretary and PM ? 

Teresa May anagram = EAT MY <deleted> , how relevant . 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:15 PM, Mavideol said:

agree.... and much to my surprise all the TV brexiters are not commenting, maybe that means they "finally" understand the mess they are in or maybe in vacation 555

I have not commented "yet" because there is no need too, but folk like you are looking for something to ridicule because you cannot stop smarting, still suffering from stamping of feet syndrome...

On 8/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, elliss said:

The looser is ?,  uk .  used to be UK ... 

Swallow it ..

Yes it used to be the UK but in a couple of months time it will be the UK again, not shackled to the EU....Hoooooooray...

On 8/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, superal said:

There is not a plan B alternative . Plan B is Brexit which is imminent . BJ is playing  poker to the naive EU panel who know nothing about his winning hand or how to play the game. The 30 days given to BJ to come up with a solution will be extended to run down the clock and achieve total Brexit . BJ is just going through the motions knowing full well that there is a rigid impasse with the EU who have outgrown their remit . 

EU not exactly blinking,but wide awake.   Just get the hell out of it,keep the 39 billion, keep UK going for quite some time ,stop the Frenchies fishing in UK waters,which will create riots in coastal areas of France...perfect

We do not need the EU when we export Melton Mowbray Pork Pies to Iceland and Thailand.

Claims BoJo...

Anyone know where they are selling them in Thailand???

Boris Johnson had said pork pies are exported to Thailand and Iceland, but cannot be to the US due to red tape.

However the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association said the pies were not even exported to Thailand and Iceland.

Downing Street insisted pies were exported, citing producer Walker & Son - but the company said this was not correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831

Archived