Are you truly happy?

How happy are you living in Thailand?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If one is lucky enough to experience "happiness" from time to time then ...good for you. However, it can sometimes be only a temporary feeling...it can go as quickly as it came....or be taken away from you.

What truly matters is whether you have... "Inner peace and contentment".

That...nobody can take away from you. 

The last stretch in Thailand without a holiday abroad, was 1-1/2 years, sandals on the ground.   Ground hog day for about the last 6 months of it.  The drama swirling around Immigration surely didn't help the vibe.  Needed that Freedom Bird.

And so we finally flew away, for 2 months, and it was frickin' great!  Hard to return but alas, here we are again.  S**t.

But... batteries re-charged and surprisingly, am somewhat enjoying the change in vibe and routine, zooming around on the motorbike, no demands, and not bleeding cash on holiday mode anymore is a plus.  I got a fresh chuckle at morning coffee today, same old fella pulled up collecting for the trash collection service.

Beep Beep.  Big smile, "Sam Sip Baht, Khruuuup" 

$1.00.  That's hilarious, and awesome.  Gotta love it! 

Reckon I'll be good for about 6 months or so before I start feeling like I'm back on board the PBR, headed up river toward the weird zone, and need another sanity check. 

image.png.5cdf757d9a3262c1c4a250176d943165.png

very happy, we do as we please and I dont hang out with other expats apart from occasional visits/going out for dinner. Love Thailand even though there are faults, I think a lot of it is a persons attitude to life and what they chose to do plus who they associate with. 

I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. I have almost no stress and have as good a life as I have any right to expect. The future doesn't look as rosy as today: my health outlook is not fantastic; I think there is an increasingly hostile atmosphere toward farangs in Thailand driven by the government; plus when I look at the global political and economic systems it doesn't look to good for avoiding a major depression and/or a world war. But as for today I am as happy as I can be.

I should add that the responses and comments look great with the majority of people very happy here.

Happiness is how you feel in the moment, and yes, I am happy. Especially in the morning, watching the sun rise above the sea with a good cup of coffe and the crazy news, from a world I do not know any longer. 

Im free

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Happiness is how you feel in the moment, and yes, I am happy. Especially in the morning, watching the sun rise above the sea with a good cup of coffe and the crazy news, from a world I do not know any longer. 

Im free

You feel happy just by watching the sun come up and having a cuppa 365 days a year, wow I suppose some people really don't need much in life or any challenges to be content, wouldn't be for me though.

You are not free, you are isolated, but you carry on kidding yourself.

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Jeezus-make pretend schoolgirls (at least that is what I hope they are)..

Everyone is sick of this.

Sooner or later the Thai Gov't will "Dunkirk" you and you can drag your sleazy butt back home.

wow don't ever open the door to my second bedroom.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, lots of guys love it. That's why many girls in many bars wear sexy clothes.

But you obviously wouldn't know that because you would never ever go to those sleazy places.

Very true-it's puerile.

They will have you out of here one day-irrespective if you ride on a footpath or not.

Sexy schoolgirls,huh..how old are you-109 or 15?

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Very true-it's puerile.

They will have you out of here one day-irrespective if you ride on a footpath or not.

Sexy schoolgirls,huh..how old are you-109 or 15?

Do "They" do that? Oh, I am so scarred.

I also found some schoolgirls for you. 

I guess what they do is illegal. You should tell the authorities so that they will arrest them. Can't have that, those illegal schoolgirls.

girls-on-motorbike-stock-picture-3072422

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do "They" do that? Oh, I am so scarred.

I also found some schoolgirls for you. 

I guess what they do is illegal. You should tell the authorities so that they will arrest them. Can't have that, those illegal schoolgirls.

girls-on-motorbike-stock-picture-3072422

You are obviously "scarred"-a Freudian slip no doubt..

Must be fun hiding up the "jay" with your fantasies..

I suspect that the Thai have had enough of it all-and I don't blame them.

PS..try taking a photo for yourself and not using commercial media.

37 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

You feel happy just by watching the sun come up and having a cuppa 365 days a year, wow I suppose some people really don't need much in life or any challenges to be content, wouldn't be for me though.

You are not free, you are isolated, but you carry on kidding yourself.

I could`nt bother to tell you about my life! What I have done, places I have been, and what I do for daily living, and how much time I have to enjoy! As i said, happiness is a feeling of the moment, and a cup of coffe early morning is a good start, with a good view. 

Some do not get it, or what? What have you done in your life, that makes you so harsh and hostile? 

I'm very happy now with my snowbird routine of 3 months in Thailand over the winter.

Looking back on my decade of living in Thailand full time, my happiness declined year on year, being replaced by denial to compensate for the lack of true happiness.

I don't regret any of it.

But with everything in life, you need to recognize when it's not working for you, it's time to make a change.

The truly tragic are the ones that get stuck in the happiness/denial spiral then get to the point where the money is gone and they can't make a change   

Very happy but after the threat of changing immigration requirements aimed at my Retirement status at differing immigration offices and differing TM 30 regulations for in-country travel, I could not give it a top rating.

I voted happy enough , because I do enjoy living in Thailand for climate and cost of living , my nice home in a rural Isaan village .

There are drawbacks too , there are moment of despondency which I'm sure many others feel too .

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Buy your young woman a new uniform for every night. Then you can pretend you didn't do it all before.

Beautiful-Cosplay-Girls-Thailand-Game-Sh

"number two on the top row and number one on the bottle row.

90 minutes. the room is included, right?"

I grew up and was educated in England and landed a great job at an early age, moving rapidly up the corporate ladder. I had a fat salary, bought my own house in a fashionable part of London and had a gorgeous GF. If you had asked this question then, I would have told you that I was as happy as could be.

I discovered and moved to Thailand and realized that there had been something missing from my life. You see, for me the key to happiness is being able to spend your life in your own way. My life in England was a success by any measure, but at the same time I was weighed down by obligations of my professional career, and the ever present pressures of social and family expectations.

In Thailand I found freedom and that meant more to me than the trappings of western society. I ‘gave it all up’ to pursue another life. I bought a house in a lovely part of the country and have a gorgeous wife. And I’m as happy as could be.

33 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I grew up and was educated in England and landed a great job at an early age, moving rapidly up the corporate ladder. I had a fat salary, bought my own house in a fashionable part of London and had a gorgeous GF. If you had asked this question then, I would have told you that I was as happy as could be.

I discovered and moved to Thailand and realized that there had been something missing from my life. You see, for me the key to happiness is being able to spend your life in your own way. My life in England was a success by any measure, but at the same time I was weighed down by obligations of my professional career, and the ever present pressures of social and family expectations.

In Thailand I found freedom and that meant more to me than the trappings of western society. I ‘gave it all up’ to pursue another life. I bought a house in a lovely part of the country and have a gorgeous wife. And I’m as happy as could be.

great story bro!

Hats off to you! keep living the good life!!!

18 hours ago, 55Jay said:

The last stretch in Thailand without a holiday abroad, was 1-1/2 years, sandals on the ground.   Ground hog day for about the last 6 months of it.  The drama swirling around Immigration surely didn't help the vibe.  Needed that Freedom Bird.

And so we finally flew away, for 2 months, and it was frickin' great!  Hard to return but alas, here we are again.  S**t.

But... batteries re-charged and surprisingly, am somewhat enjoying the change in vibe and routine, zooming around on the motorbike, no demands, and not bleeding cash on holiday mode anymore is a plus.  I got a fresh chuckle at morning coffee today, same old fella pulled up collecting for the trash collection service.

Beep Beep.  Big smile, "Sam Sip Baht, Khruuuup" 

$1.00.  That's hilarious, and awesome.  Gotta love it! 

Reckon I'll be good for about 6 months or so before I start feeling like I'm back on board the PBR, headed up river toward the weird zone, and need another sanity check. 

image.png.5cdf757d9a3262c1c4a250176d943165.png

Absolutely agree. The ONLY way to avoid 'going tropo' in LOS (and on TV) is to make irregular but frequent trips completely outside the box. I am semi-retired but manage 2 or 3 working gigs in neighboring countries each year. That keeps the bank balance topped-up and blows all the ultimately insignificant immigration, minivan, yellow book, Chinese, junta, banking, fish and chips, ladyboys, Indians, wrong-way-motorcycle-on-sidewalk, double-pricing, Russians, sin sodt, decent pint, cheap charlie balloon chaser cobwebs completely out the window. Failing any work-sponsored and client-paid travel, I just get on a plane anyway. I also try and touch base back home at least once every 2 years as that gives me another tangible yardstick to measure just how fortunate a lot of us are to have pitched their tents in Thailand.

The value of being able to immerse yourself back in the only nation where you have rights and totally understand the language (unless it's Newcastle) is immeasurable IMHO.

13 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

seems as though most people are "happy enough"

I can say that tonight I am too!

Coming at you live from my stool in Patong beach!

Drinks are on me!!!

I truly hope you mean from your bar stool and not just your...

Archived