Tourism was a powerful economic engine in Thailand. Then a boat full of Chinese sank

rooster59

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Tourism was a powerful economic engine in Thailand. Then a boat full of Chinese sank

I think it's more a case of tourism already taking a beating thanks to the best efforts to rip off tourists for the longest time. The boat sinking was just the last straw on the camel's back.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Prayut cares nowt for tourism. Bars close early, economic FX is ****, foreigners can't buy property - even condos without jumping through hoops

AND don't even start me on TM30, 90 days reporting, Visa letters etc.  What happened to Land of Smiles?  Thais are just not happy anymore (apart from the rich pigs) and it all filters down to US.

BTW not much publicity for this tragedy compared to the cave kids.

The land of smiles ended with the last Military occupation and it won’t return until 100% of democracy is restored sadly I think that will be many many years before we see that happen

Nah. That was just one small piece of the puzzle. Two administrations in a row did a great job of sabotaging tourism, and the feeling of well being that most ex-pats had, living here. That includes the last administration of the hapless, extremely incompetent, nepotistic, meritless, fairly useless army. So many mistakes have been made for so long, it is difficult to keep track of them, at this stage. It was a huge economic engine, that provided millions of jobs. 

Dozens of initiatives could have been undertaken, had there been at least one person with vision and creativity in the government. From immigration perks, to dramatic reduction of luxury taxes (to encourage the rich tourists to spend their money, and come to a nation they have all but abandoned) to dramatic reduction in wine taxes, to encourage a vibrant wine industry and scene here, to the tackling of the scams that plague tourists, traffic safety, marine safety, public safety, the reduction of the value of the baht, whatever that takes, etc, etc. I could go on all day. 

"First, the slowing economy in China has meant fewer visitors ..."

"Second, Thai hoteliers and tour operators have been whiplashed by the move toward more independent travel ..."

"Third, the Thai baht has risen sharply against the dollar this year ..."

Fourth, dual pricing
Fifth, taxi, jet ski + other rip-offs
Sixth, TM30
Seventh, immigration queues at airports

Basically all that matters is  money

With the advent of the internet, social media, phone cameras and the like, the age old coverup of what goes on here is now being revealed. I wish no ill to the tourist industry in Thailand, but the responsibility of where it is heading is not of foreign manufacture.

The Chinese economy is getting rocked and no end in sight. Currency devaluation, might even see capital controls. Of course sky high baht and being low season doesn't help.

Indians next to do disappearing act.

Funny, when Thailand forced to open doors again to whinging TV sex tourists that live on ham sandwiches and Khao phat they will all return. Even the ones that were not allowed entry and sent back. Thailand...the land where you can buy sex with a smile. Irresistible.

It is very easy to put it on that accident.. to easy! The (not only!!) chinese Tourist numbers drop since few years, they raise if there are supercheap and special lowprice packages and fall back as before. The Taxi Driver told "in a decade.. NOW the worsest", but real is that during a decade numbers are falling, out of different reasons. The killings of tourists at different places sure not help, but also the Reputation of Thailand in Europe, US or Australia has came down steadily during the last few years. Tourist attractions like the Khaosan Road or street Vendors, streetfood, packed sidewalks, busy and crowded nightlife was Thailand for so many returning Tourists… eliminated by what reason ever we can see now the Impact in the numbers of (western)Tourists arrive or return. The Thai Baht cant get weak in near future, that would increase billions of debts Thailand has in foreign currencies. Several accidents, number one in roaddeath, Reputation, Killings or rapes, strong currency, all this and more drive the Tourist Business down. 

37 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I would raise a glass of red to the tourism demise but I cant stomach the 36% tax???? 

You mean the 360% tax?

You can raise glass of Chang or Leo - one of the most expensive (considering the wages here) pure <deleted> beers in the world

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I think the strong Baht has a much bigger impact than that boat accident.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

No, the Thaitanic is full of Thais!

The strong Baht. If the government concentrates on weakening it they will see the build up of tourists. But they do not have the brains for that’

55 minutes ago, Benmart said:

With the advent of the internet, social media, phone cameras and the like, the age old coverup of what goes on here is now being revealed. I wish no ill to the tourist industry in Thailand, but the responsibility of where it is heading is not of foreign manufacture.

True that. If they had the vision, many years ago they would have addressed this, at a minimum:

the unwillingness to tackle the scams, and corruption in general.

the traffic and public safety issues.

the lack of a competent and effective police force, that foreigners can count on, when they need them.

the environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism. 

the inept military government, who nobody likes, and most people despise.

haphazard and xenophobic immigration policy, meant to deter tourism, and ex-pats, rather than encourage them. 

racist ranting from the government, often directed at tourists and ex-pats and a nonsensical nationalistic agenda, that is pure politics.

The decision to turn away from Western tourism, and focus almost exclusively on Chinese and Indian tourism was a mistake of historically monumental proportions. The TAT is barely making any effort to lure Westerners. And in my opinion they are the big spenders. I read surveys about the average Chinese tourists, being at the top of the list of big spenders. But, this is average. And the big spending Chinese and Indians, and Brits, and Germans, and Dutch, and Americans, and Mexicans do not come to Thailand anymore, for a dozen different reasons. The wife wants to buy a luxury handbag. The same Gucci bag that she likes is $5,000 in Singapore, London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, or Dubai. In Bangkok that bag sells for $14,000. So, where do they choose to go? Definitely, without a doubt, not Thailand. 

42 minutes ago, madmen said:

In the correct order affecting hotel bookings

1. Strong baht

2. The rise and rise of air bnb

3. Boat sinking

Baht is strong against most western currencies but comparing to Yuan has been quite mild. Yuan rate was about 4.8 B last year compare 4.6 current after Chinese government widen the trading band. 

2 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

There is no remorse on the deaths. What about if 47 were filthy bagpackers?

My comment was towards the sinking economic boat, Einstein.  However, your idea of sinking filth floats well.

The best adverting in the world is word of mouth. The way Thailand treats it's tourists with so many stupid rules is killing  the industry causing thousands of young travelers to now go to other friendlier Asian  countries. Chiangmai night life is dead as a result of 12 o'clock closing. The huge tax increases on wine and alcohol stop many from coming here for a good time when neighboring countries are so cheap by comparison. Thinking of extending opening hours is sadly a day late and a dollar short. Harsh immigration rules are very unpopular causing many expats to warn others the smiles are  fading  big time in Thailand. There are many other things tourists don't like which will become more noticeable as the numbers shrink. But what can one expect from a bunch of overpaid and under educated generals running the show. Bad news travels fast.

One thing i do not get is every day i hear that tourism only makes 10%-15% of GDP and yet every day i also hear how important tourism is.

So if tourism is that important, then perhaps it is not 10%-15% of the GDP? and if it is so important, then why not much is done in terms of infrastructure to accommodate growing tourist industry?

Even basic things like have translation services 

Before I moved here I was told life is cheap in Thailand. I never understood that until I moved here. They care not one joy about life and you see that everyday in the way they drive. I doubt even a mass exodus in tourists will change that. RIP to all the people who died. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

to dramatic reduction in wine taxes, to encourage a vibrant wine industry and scene here, to the tackling of the scams that plague tourists, traffic safety, marine safety, public safety, the reduction of the value of the baht, whatever that takes, etc, etc. I could go on all day. 

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The wife wants to buy a luxury handbag. The same Gucci bag that she likes is $5,000 in Singapore, London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, or Dubai. In Bangkok that bag sells for $14,000. So, where do they choose to go? Definitely, without a doubt, not Thailand. 

Really Mike, who plans their holidays around wine and handbags?

We see this from you at least three times a week.

China had 60m incoming tourists last year but they've got the Great Wall, the Terracotta Warriors, Forbidden City, Summer Palace and a wealth of other sights to see. You can even look at old Mao mouldering away in his casket. Perhaps that might suggest that tourists in general don't really give a damn about wine and handbags. Chinese wine is in it's infancy and China has no worldwide brands to speak of.

Neither do I think that first time visitors scan the Forex pages before they plan a holiday. They have no idea of how prices were previously, if they want to come, they'll come regardless of exchange rates. Nor do they examine the road safety statistics. Street safety, in terms of bag snatches, muggings and pickpockets yes, not RTA's.

'Let's go to Kathmandu for a fortnight, sweetie.' 'Ok but see what the local Police efficiency figures are like first, and don't forget to find out whether the Government is popular locally, darling.'

It's not happening is it?

6 hours ago, mdmayes said:

The sinking of the boat was the tipping point. The bad PR had been building for years before that incident. 

And Thailand failing to hold some kind of Memorial Service on the First Anniversary of the tragic accident, will only intensify the bad feeling that seems to have beset the Thai Tourism Industry

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The boat incident was make worse when General Fatso said this and put the blame on the Chinese instead creating a backlash. 

“Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan blamed Chinese tour operators for not respecting Thai safety legislation”. 

since when Thai has safety legislation...as always (TAT) easy to blame somebody else, it's not us it's them

Archived