DE minister orders Thailand Post to compete better with private postal firms

DE minister orders Thailand Post to compete better with private postal firms

tewit kemtong

0c7cfab7bf31e75b347ffc8729e2e3c9_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 August 2019(NNT) - The logistics and transport sector is more engaged and competitive in the digital economic sector, affecting Thailand Post which is a major national logistic and transport agency. Along with more business opportunities come more rivals.

The Digital Economy and Society Minister Puttipong Punnakanta has followed up on the situation at Thailand Post and found it far from reaching its targets. He has ordered Thailand Post to come up with a plan to boost its competitiveness against private postal firms.

In the first half of this year, Thailand Post earnt 14.08 billion baht, which was 1.73 billion baht below target. It made 1.06 billion baht in profit, still 1.05 billion baht below target. The decline in Thailand Post’s EMS income results from more service points and lower fees being offered by private firms,

Thailand Post’s market share has dropped 2-3 times. Thailand Post is yet to promptly improve its operations and image to efficiently compete with the private firms by using its strong resources such as personnel who know designated locations well, are experienced in delivering postal packages and are friendly to communities and secure their confidence. In addition, Thailand Post should use new technology as much as possible to meet the customer demands in a digital era.

Meanwhile, Thailand Post will step up inspection process for any postal packages suspected of containing drugs or other illegal materials as in foreign countries. Complaints from customers will be responded to very promptly and transparently with factual data and evidence.

The digital minister has ordered the Thailand Post executive board to study the potential of their agency, find out both its weak points and strong points and come up with an operational plan to better compete with the private sector, in one month.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-08-24

Puttipong has ordered Thailand post to compete better with private firms.:cheesy::cheesy:

Your aving a laff mate, never gonna happen, just like Thai airways, useless, inefficient.

The likes of Kerry can beat you lot hands down, swift, prompt service, and extremely efficient.

I'm certain there will be lots of posts as to how members (myself included) have had hassle with Thailand Post.

My opinion: Just deliver the goods on time, don't steal parcels or letters. If you don't bother doing what you're supposed to - expect to be sacked.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm certain there will be lots of posts as to how members (myself included) have had hassle with Thailand Post.

My opinion: Just deliver the goods on time, don't steal parcels or letters. If you don't bother doing what you're supposed to - expect to be sacked.

Others like me have great experience with Thailandpost. Always get my post. I do give my postie (regular one) a bottle of JW black label once a year around new year for his good services.

I guess it depends a bit where you live. 

I buy a lot online from overseas and I always get sent regular mail and the tracking on their website is spot on, Better than being held to ransom by some courier firm demanding extra when arriving at your door.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Others like me have great experience with Thailandpost. Always get my post. I do give my postie (regular one) a bottle of JW black label once a year around new year for his good services.

Agreed, I think they give an excellent service. Delivery twice a day 7 days a week.  :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
57 minutes ago, robblok said:

Agreed, I think they give an excellent service. Delivery twice a day 7 days a week.  :thumbsup:

Perhaps you may be in an urban area, I don't know?

Out in the sticks, we get postal deliveries once every month, sometimes once every two months.

That's with two different postman over three years.

I used to keep track of the number if items delivered each time:

13, 7, 3 1, 3, 6, 7, 16,

The item '1' on its own was due to being an A4 envelope, probably too awkward to hang on to, the postman rang the bell.

We often get two months worth of payment receipts from TOT and AIS in one go.

Also I noticed that the last twice my wife received an EMS letter, it was just put in the mailbox, she never signed for it.

Just now, bluesofa said:

Out in the sticks, we get postal deliveries once every month, sometimes once every two months.

13, 7, 3 1, 3, 6, 7, 16,

The item '1' on its own was due to being an A4 envelope, probably too awkward to hang on to, the postman rang the bell.

Also I noticed that the last twice my wife received an EMS letter, it was just put in the mailbox, she never signed for it.

I live in nonthaburi near a big shopping center and the sky train. So I would say urban. I just got two packages from the UK (buy a lot on ebay) took them just a little over a week. I almost never lose anything here (to the post I mean). Postman always comes at a regular time. Though this time it was a lot earlier then normal and a different guy. Could be that he was just delivering packages and other does the letters. 

Must be the difference from living in the sticks vs urban. That was why i said might be a location problem. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Puttipong has ordered Thailand post to compete better with private firms.:cheesy::cheesy:

Your aving a laff mate, never gonna happen, just like Thai airways, useless, inefficient.

The likes of Kerry can beat you lot hands down, swift, prompt service, and extremely efficient.

Have to disagree, Colin. Thai Post here is fantastic...letters, registered mail, parcels all on time.

As for Kerry?

They are the most inefficient logistics company I've ever dealt with. Slow deliveries, non-deliveries are very common. Looked at my Lazada app this morning: Kerry :"attempt to deliver was not successful." "Report filed at 4.30am" It's all BS. They never even tried and this is a usual experience. I've even asked Lazada sellers: "Please don't use Kerry."  "Sorry, they have contract." So I have to remember and choose sellers who don't use Kerry.

Now LEXTH? Top company. Leave all others for dead.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes, similar experience. Kinda like the immigration office here, not many hassles and complaints. The point is that is inconsistent across the country or even between different offices - whereas it shouldn't be.

I do feel, however that things were much better say 10 years back or so. Nowadays, it's alright for the regular mail, but if I need special delivery/parcels it's often off to the private competition. Not that these are too great themselves (and again, same thing - depends on location).

They need to stamp date arrived in Thailand on all International Mail incoming. It takes sometimes over 2-3 weeks for my International Mail to be delivered to my address, in Pattaya. I am sure the delay is not on the International delivery, but no way to know when it arrived in Thailand.

A few years ago when I was living in my wife's village in Issan we tried to find some missing EMS important mail. Found it at a Gas station that the postman used as a temporary unofficial holding area. Reported to the main post office, but never heard anything back.

Still takes more than a week to get EMS mail delivered in Issan.

Hope this guy does improve the mail system, but I am not going to hold my breath.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

13, 7, 3 1, 3, 6, 7, 16,

I agree  with  you. The rural Thai Postal Delivery Service has generally been appalling but admittedly slightly improved  recently( locally) after some well  publicized  accounts of  blatant failures.

Mrs. G and I have always thought that Thai postmen must be extraordinarily intelligent. 

They can read addresses in various strange languages, and find addresses with no logical geographic reference.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

They are working hard to improve Thailand post...but the process gets slowed down by slow officials. 

6 minutes ago, Youlike said:

They are working hard to improve Thailand post...but the process gets slowed down by slow officials. 

I'm not looking for an argument, but who are 'they' and how do you know they are working hard to improve TP - do you have some inside information about that?

8 hours ago, Almer said:

I am waiting for 2 small packages 1 posted 15 months ago and the other 7 months ago but maybe the UK is the problem end

On the very rare occasions I've had a parcel or letter sent from the UK to Thailand I have always asked for the tracking service. The UK Post Office used to call it 'recorded delivery' now it has another name, I can't remember it off hand.

That way I know where my item is and can chase it up if it falters.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, colinneil said:

Any time I have to send something, be it in Thailand or abroad, I will choose Thailand Post on price and service.

You choose Kerry, or any other competitor, then look to price, delivery time and try to find out what happened if something went wrong.

Archived