have's and have nots

beavenlen

having read thai visa for few years now,i see many posts that give me the impression that t.v. is a media for those expats, either born with a silver spoon or have aquired their wealth by other means,(heaven forbid,hard graft.) and i wonder just how many of us lowly serfs there are actually reading t.v. and further wonder why we read so many times of, obviousely well heeled people skydiving from expensive condos,and very little heard of lowlifes, practicing the same ritual. 

forgive my under educated english and use of kindergarten grammer, for i am one of your lowely serfs,whom has the ordasity to live in Thailand on a low serfs state pension,.,

Your going to have to explain what you mean,because I generally do

not find this,and HiSo expats on TV are definitely a very small

minority,and some of those I am sure earned their wealth by hard

graft,the same of the rest of us.

regards Worgeordie

55 minutes ago, beavenlen said:

obviousely well heeled people skydiving from expensive condos,and very little heard of lowlifes, practicing the same ritual. 

This is only a quick assumption but my initial thought on why there isn't much reporting on 'lowlifes, practicing the same ritual" is because, by definition, they cannot afford accommodation in the upper levels of the expensive condos. So when they do attempt the same ritual, they only fall about 3 foot before landing on the roof of the car parked below.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2019 at 9:47 AM, worgeordie said:

Your going to have to explain what you mean,because I generally do

not find this,and HiSo expats on TV are definitely a very small

minority,and some of those I am sure earned their wealth by hard

graft,the same of the rest of us.

regards Worgeordie

worgeordie hmm sounds maybe northern English..i read many times of o.p.s on here advising expats of expected cost of living here,and even at times knocking back those who may be thinking of retirement on state pensions,they seem to imply that it would be" bad form old boy". just my impression, be nice to hear from some of the lower paid expats out there.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

This is only a quick assumption but my initial thought on why there isn't much reporting on 'lowlifes, practicing the same ritual" is because, by definition, they cannot afford accommodation in the upper levels of the expensive condos. So when they do attempt the same ritual, they only fall about 3 foot before landing on the roof of the car parked below.

arghhh so  thats what happened to it. I shall talk to my Aussie mate about jumping out of strange women's bedrooms. thank you for clearing that up for me.  ha ha ha

I am one just living on the Brit. state pension . Came to live here permanately in 2005 , then I had cash in the bank , exchange rate was 73 - quid. Since then and even more so now my monthly salary has receded , I was only saying to a mate the other day , since arriving here my money each year is getting less and prices of everything are going up.

EG , just 2 years ago I was getting 23,000B pension per month , 2 weeks ago 19,760 B.  Part of the problem is the high Baht , as for brexit .......................But I have adjusted , we still go out to eat , the car bikes and house paid for during easier times.

I don't pay a driver to do my 90 day report , I don't put on a suit and tie for Imm. I have a quite busy routine all in all very content with things.    Now those that couldn't manage on less than 40,000 a month can reply.

18 minutes ago, kevvy said:

A member in Chiang Rai spoke about the have's and have nots .He made it quite clear he did not want the below average person living in his city .

"his city".

Wow, he must be rich if he owns Chiang Mai.

10 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I was getting 23,000B pension per month , 2 weeks ago 19,760 B.

That was my bar tab for this weekend, exclusive of bar fines.

If you need some extra cash, Im looking for a valet with an English accent. Can you drive here? I just bought another Rolls over in Siam Paragon and it needs to be polished. And the steering wheel is on the wrong side, you guys know how to drive those, right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, kevvy said:

A member in Chiang Rai spoke about the have's and have nots .He made it quite clear he did not want the below average person living in his city .

And Why not is he afraid the locals may get a differring opinion of farangs way of life and actually discover that not all farang are rich boss persons.. cant let the serfs know that can we now.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:58 PM, Nyezhov said:

That was my bar tab for this weekend, exclusive of bar fines.

If you need some extra cash, Im looking for a valet with an English accent. Can you drive here? I just bought another Rolls over in Siam Paragon and it needs to be polished. And the steering wheel is on the wrong side, you guys know how to drive those, right?

Ha ha ha ha , good luck on that one my friend ,, OHHH sorry effendi i did not mean to offend   II

On 10/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, billd766 said:

"his city".

Wow, he must be rich if he owns Chiang Mai.

yes he does he just offered to employ them as valets...... I know where i would stuff his new car,.  but this is for fun is it not,,, after all he must ,like the rest of us be hansum man maybe more so ha ha ha more like ATM

The OP needs to consider that many (perhaps the majority) of people posting are economic refugees in one form or another. Either looking to make what money they have go a little further than they could back home or they are trying to avoid taxes that would be imposed upon the elsewhere.

I think the have nots far outweigh the haves generally speaking.

You don't have to be well heeled to take a balcony dive from a rented condo.

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The OP needs to consider that many (perhaps the majority) of people posting are economic refugees in one form or another. Either looking to make what money they have go a little further than they could back home or they are trying to avoid taxes that would be imposed upon the elsewhere.

I think the have nots far outweigh the haves generally speaking.

You don't have to be well heeled to take a balcony dive from a rented condo.

well my friend i think perhaps we should draw a line between them and see who has and who has not, i am sure that many op's on here consider any person with anything less than 50 k per month as a have not. i just resent being classed as a second rate person solely on the sayso of a well heeled a...hole, and there seems to be several of them posting on tv to the extent that they think we have no right coming here.

1 hour ago, beavenlen said:

well my friend i think perhaps we should draw a line between them and see who has and who has not, i am sure that many op's on here consider any person with anything less than 50 k per month as a have not. i just resent being classed as a second rate person solely on the sayso of a well heeled a...hole, and there seems to be several of them posting on tv to the extent that they think we have no right coming here.

Never mind. It's not the Farangs that think "you have no right to come/stay here". It's the Thai-Immigration that is the judge of that!

In my experience those that have money rarely talk about or feel the need to. Those that claim to have it rarely do but like to keep the illusion.

The average guy who is confident in himself also rarely feels the need to discuss it.

There are greater riches than the fiscal kind, ultimately as long as you are happy, content with your lot, its nobody elses business and no one has the right to sit in judgement of others over how they choose to live there life, each to his own.

I see the opposite so you must really be a simple sort of fellow.

Every time I leave Thailand and look at the floatsam and jetsom in the immigration queue as well as inbound and am reminded that we are all financially challenged. It costs a huge amount of money to take holidays now even more so to remain idle in retirement.

Everyone in line looks like they all work for wages and middle or working class.

Upper middle class and wealthy people don't return to Thailand. There are other places they can enjoy themselves without possibly losing their limb or lives.

What signs if any do you see of educated, cultured, monied people visiting this sh1+hole? None. I'm biding my time and getting out. It used to be fun, carefree and cheap. Just a headache anymore. If I did not have a good job and Thai wife I'd be gone tomorrow.

2007+ everything changed. 2014 worse. 2019 China lite®.

Yes, plenty of inheritance and even a bit if trust fund money floating about.

Many working class tradesmen who kiss and came out if their jobs with a nice nest egg. Those days are gone for under 60s.

Economy gonna get rocked

2 hours ago, beavenlen said:

Do you reckon they are a##holes

because they are well-heeled or well-heeled because they are a##holes? 

having read thai visa for few years now,i see many posts that give me the impression that t.v. is a media for those expats, either born with a silver spoon or have aquired their wealth by other means,(heaven forbid,hard graft.) and i wonder just how many of us lowly serfs there are actually reading t.v. and further wonder why we read so many times of, obviousely well heeled people skydiving from expensive condos,and very little heard of lowlifes, practicing the same ritual. 
forgive my under educated english and use of kindergarten grammer, for i am one of your lowely serfs,whom has the ordasity to live in Thailand on a low serfs state pension,.,

Such an irrelevant post. It matters not whether one is of means or without. It’s a forum to exchange thoughts and opinions. What is being said is of substance rather than the size of one’s dwelling or bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, beavenlen said:

“Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5).

Mate,,the op,i got wedge, am i happy? no,first Thai wife 4 years was okay but her father hated me so eventually i had to leave,second was okay i thought but was playing the long game and took a heap of money off me when we divorced,then i met a really nice girl,until she told me she had an English boyfriend,she was going to stay with as she had known him 5 years,for 2 weeks ,that was now 2 months ago,i have heard nothing from her since, sure it's nice to have money,but it a lot better to have some one who really cares for you.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, beavenlen said:

And Why not is he afraid the locals may get a differring opinion of farangs way of life and actually discover that not all farang are rich boss persons.. cant let the serfs know that can we now.

I'm thinking a local with a Thai state pension of 500bht/month probably considers a Brit with a UK state pension of 20,000bht/month incredibly rich.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:58 PM, Doge said:

It costs a huge amount of money to take holidays now even more so to remain idle in retirement.

I've had 4 holidays in Vietnam this year, it usually cost me less than 10kbht/holiday for everything.

Just booked a week in Saigon, return flights 4,800bht, rooftop room with patio 3,500bht, more expensive than my usual trips but not a huge amount of money.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:07 AM, beavenlen said:

and there seems to be several of them posting on tv to the extent that they think we have no right coming here.

Easy fix for this ...

#1 - give not a Rats A** what other people think of you

And why would you care what they think - give them the freedom to think what they want as you do the same.

Archived