new tax on house and land

opalred

They have been out in force over the Muang area for weeks with clipboards and writing stuff down. There is no local information as to how they will be calculating it. The only info. is such as can be found here; but don't know that it provides much of a gauge.

https://www.tilleke.com/resources/new-land-and-building-tax-act-thailand

In the city area it would seem to affect rentals and commercial property the most. Next year has the possibility of being rather a bloodbath on an economy which has already ground to a halt.

There are going to be inherent problems in the interpretation of this, probably the biggest is the estimation of value. Then you have people who use or rent out a small piece of their residential land or building for commercial use.

The previous tax which this will be replacing (Pasee Rong Reun sp?) is already often paid by tenants rather than landlords and this goes for tenants of some of the very big landowners. How this pans out should be interesting. There are some very big landowners in downtown Chiang Mai. The cynic in me says they have had time to restructure and relocate the "owner" to the Cayman Islands!!

everyone around my area received a letter /from jan next year

will have to pay tax on house and land /never said how much /

the old people will feel it/ as now they are struggling to live

This could be another problem in that local areas choose to ignore the exemptions and collect from everybody. Really need for someone to go to the local office and ask for details.

Last year we questioned our tax and did the calculation in front of them. It turned out the bill we had been sent, was let's just say, not accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst asking about a license for homestay at the Tambon a friend was given the same info related to the tax thresholds, I,e, 50 mill for land and house.

They will be out in force from last Monday checking on land and house and apparently looking for illegal homestay as an aside. 

They did say that there was no license for homestay but once properties have been surveyed homestays will have a tax liability, if the property is rented to tenants for homestay the house owner is liable to the tax but may pass it on to the tenants to pay.

18 hours ago, opalred said:

looks like for real/group of people around today .taking photos of house and land

i see travel in a group/ as some of the local villages could get angry and violent

Was this in Hang Dong by any chance. Last week in Hang Dong there was an announcement about checking for "stale water" (ie. mosquitoes). Except there seemed to be a group of 10+ people going round snooping. Not in our place though as husband already padlocked gate.

My prediction for next year is not good, have seen this coming though.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:56 AM, cmsally said:

There are going to be inherent problems in the interpretation of this, probably the biggest is the estimation of value. Then you have people who use or rent out a small piece of their residential land or building for commercial use.

The previous tax which this will be replacing (Pasee Rong Reun sp?) is already often paid by tenants rather than landlords and this goes for tenants of some of the very big landowners. How this pans out should be interesting. There are some very big landowners in downtown Chiang Mai. The cynic in me says they have had time to restructure and relocate the "owner" to the Cayman Islands!!

Shades of immigration and interpretation of whatever? ????

2 hours ago, opalred said:

i live maerim area /they said everyone will pay a yearly tax /on all houses and land from jan

they held a board up in front of the houses and land and took a photo

Did anyone challenge them on the 50m Baht exemption.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:14 AM, cmsally said:

Well according to the details above , no private residences below 50m would be paying.

I am not so sure? As in all things Thai it is a bit confusing & contradicting

Yes the one section states exemptions but the next sect below it in the link you provides shows everyone pays something

For instance #2 Owner of Land & Building residential

Top sections states Up to 50 mill baht exempt

But then states...

Transition Period Rates

For the first two years of tax collection under the Act commencing from January 1, 2020, the land and building tax rates will be reduced for the following land and/or building owners: 

So bottom section "Transitional State"??

& this is the "reduced rate"??

Bottom section #2 states residential house & land "less than or equal to 25 million baht 0.03%"

So as usual about as clear TIT can be ???? Could also just be a translation problem as perhaps the first 50 million baht of value is exempt for instance then they are talking about the next 25million value etc.....But yes confusing & hard to believe they will be letting all homes under 50 million slide considering most cost less than 10% of that in CM

Untitled.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

New tax laws, means you pay your Government Rent each year or you will lose your land an house.

People need to understand how this works, same as America, If you fail to pay your yearly "Rent/Tax" , the Government can throw you out and take it. Nothing new here, same old BS.

There is a sign up in our area, that if the authorities want to enter your property and check, in relation to tax assessment, it is an offense to refuse them entry. Sign is Thai only. Will take pic if its still there and do translation. Really don't like the way this country is going , my instincts (which are normally pretty spot on), are going into overdrive and not in a good way.

19 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Really don't like the way this country is going , my instincts (which are normally pretty spot on), are going into overdrive and not in a good way.

I left the States for good 25 years ago for that very reason.   

Now its Thailand with mandatory car insurance,,,, increasing health care costs..... and a darn pop up that constantly appears on the bottom right of my TV page !   I think the pop up is bugging me the most.

Anyway, my car insurance is peanuts,  prop tax on my rural 6 rai is 200 baht a year.   and i guess my CM property won't be too bad.  Its all relative.  I hate to say that but it still comes down to where I can exist with the least hassle and expense.   The pollution is the main thing that might send me on my way...

God,  amazing that there are still optimists walking around    haha  !

Archived