BANGKOK
opalred

new tax on house and land

everyone around my area received a letter /from jan next year

will have to pay tax on house and land /never said how much /

the old people will feel it/ as now they are struggling to live

That's funny, I didn't get a letter.

There's always been a land tax, normally 50bht/year, and they only collect it when you sell.

They have been out in force over the Muang area for weeks with clipboards and writing stuff down. There is no local information as to how they will be calculating it. The only info. is such as can be found here; but don't know that it provides much of a gauge.

https://www.tilleke.com/resources/new-land-and-building-tax-act-thailand

In the city area it would seem to affect rentals and commercial property the most. Next year has the possibility of being rather a bloodbath on an economy which has already ground to a halt.

There are going to be inherent problems in the interpretation of this, probably the biggest is the estimation of value. Then you have people who use or rent out a small piece of their residential land or building for commercial use.

The previous tax which this will be replacing (Pasee Rong Reun sp?) is already often paid by tenants rather than landlords and this goes for tenants of some of the very big landowners. How this pans out should be interesting. There are some very big landowners in downtown Chiang Mai. The cynic in me says they have had time to restructure and relocate the "owner" to the Cayman Islands!!

• Like 1

everyone around my area received a letter /from jan next year

will have to pay tax on house and land /never said how much /

the old people will feel it/ as now they are struggling to live

This could be another problem in that local areas choose to ignore the exemptions and collect from everybody. Really need for someone to go to the local office and ask for details.

Last year we questioned our tax and did the calculation in front of them. It turned out the bill we had been sent, was let's just say, not accurate.

• Like 1

looks like for real/group of people around today .taking photos of house and land

i see travel in a group/ as some of the local villages could get angry and violent

Whilst asking about a license for homestay at the Tambon a friend was given the same info related to the tax thresholds, I,e, 50 mill for land and house.

They will be out in force from last Monday checking on land and house and apparently looking for illegal homestay as an aside. 

They did say that there was no license for homestay but once properties have been surveyed homestays will have a tax liability, if the property is rented to tenants for homestay the house owner is liable to the tax but may pass it on to the tenants to pay.

18 hours ago, opalred said:

looks like for real/group of people around today .taking photos of house and land

i see travel in a group/ as some of the local villages could get angry and violent

Was this in Hang Dong by any chance. Last week in Hang Dong there was an announcement about checking for "stale water" (ie. mosquitoes). Except there seemed to be a group of 10+ people going round snooping. Not in our place though as husband already padlocked gate.

My prediction for next year is not good, have seen this coming though.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:56 AM, cmsally said:

There are going to be inherent problems in the interpretation of this, probably the biggest is the estimation of value. Then you have people who use or rent out a small piece of their residential land or building for commercial use.

The previous tax which this will be replacing (Pasee Rong Reun sp?) is already often paid by tenants rather than landlords and this goes for tenants of some of the very big landowners. How this pans out should be interesting. There are some very big landowners in downtown Chiang Mai. The cynic in me says they have had time to restructure and relocate the "owner" to the Cayman Islands!!

Shades of immigration and interpretation of whatever? 😎

i live maerim area /they said everyone will pay a yearly tax /on all houses and land from jan

they held a board up in front of the houses and land and took a photo

2 hours ago, opalred said:

i live maerim area /they said everyone will pay a yearly tax /on all houses and land from jan

they held a board up in front of the houses and land and took a photo

Did anyone challenge them on the 50m Baht exemption.

• Like 1

in this area there would be no houses or land way near 50ml

most house and land 2to 3 ml in area around cm /so i don't know where they get 50ml from/ cheers

Well according to the details above , no private residences below 50m would be paying.