Is it time to bite the bullet and get out?

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

With the greatest respect . ...Your question really is asking strangers..."What is the best move I should make in life. 

Surely, nobody can answer that question better than yourself?

His question was if he should go for a 60 days TR Visa or do a border run for another 30 days.

4 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

You can just go for single entry non o visa for dependent which has no financial requirements and is good for 90 days.  Sure you have to hit up an embassy every 3 months but sounds like you are doing the that already.  The non o single entry is so easy to get that you can go to a lot of other embassies like in Vietnam that maybe you wouldn’t have for your tourist visa

He needs 400k to apply for the 1 year extension,but he said he doesn't meet the requirements.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, DrJack54 said:

Umm, he has Thai son. Think he could get non o based on that. Think cut off age for dependent is 20?

However op might have problems with other aspects. Certainly could not obtain non o based on retirement due to financials.

He is in difficult spot I'm afraid.

When the son reaches 20 you can get a dependant visa/extension for the son to take care of You not sure how this works

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, phka said:

When the son reaches 20 you can get a dependant visa/extension for the son to take care of You not sure how this works

I was incorrect in my post. Experts have advised there is no limit to son age.

In any event the OP seems (to me) already made up his mind to go.

There are ways to remain in los or nearby countries. In some ways I don't get this thread. Living here long time he would already know options. Thinking "cry wolf" op.

• Like 1

I have booked an appointment at Vientienne for a new tourist visa.
The point is it would be 3rd there this year with 1 from last year.
After reading recent posts here about Immigration clamping down on multiple tourist visas I am wondering
if I should just do a border run to get my last 30 day visa from there and then go back to my home country.
I am on  an OAP from there, but that is it financially. I have an 18 yo Thai son here who is basically dependent on me ,

It would be a big step for me to survive on my OAP, but if needs be so be it.
Just please keep your replies on topic as all assumptions and negatives will be ignored with disdain. 
Living your life hoping to get the next visa is stressful. And if rejected, can cause a sudden burden, both financially and emotionally.

If you can not secure a long term visa, you may wish to consider your alternatives.

Is it possible to take your son with you back home?

I would suggest to think like this:

If i can not get tourist visa, what is my next best alternative.

Then act accordingly.

Some say nearby countries are good, but not sure it is a good move for your son.

If UK is your home, maybe there is a better future for you both there?
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

You can just go for single entry non o visa for dependent which has no financial requirements and is good for 90 days.  Sure you have to hit up an embassy every 3 months but sounds like you are doing the that already.  The non o single entry is so easy to get that you can go to a lot of other embassies like in Vietnam that maybe you wouldn’t have for your tourist visa

An this visa you can extend for 2 months if you have a son ?  Or only 1 month ?

On 8/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, kenk24 said:

Just because it is not your version of logic, and you do not understand or recognize that there are cultural differences, does not mean it is not logical in the Thai framework of thinking. And we are in Thailand.. 

I find people here for the most part, much happier than people in my home country... which seems like a smart and logical way to live... 

Indeed. I often wonder where these people come from who constantly criticize Thais and Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fourpack said:

Mate just go to an agent and get a 1 year retirement extension. 

Sir you could afford that

My thoughts entirely but is the agency system still working? Are the IOs checking bank accounts to see if the temporarily deposites money is still there? And if so when? How often?  At the first 90 day report? Or several months? I have not seen my questions or concern addressed in any other threads in  definitive way. Anybody know for sure?

44 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Sounds like the games up and it's time to bale out my friend. What will happen to your lad when you leave? If I win the big premium bond at the turn of the month I'll be back in touch and I'll help you out.

I know it will be of little consolation, but you're one of the easy, early fruit pickings. There's many, many more coming under the spotlight. In 10 years time Thailand will be unrecognisable. There's a lot of people in denial in my opinion, but the writing is on the wall. I just hope most expats can see it for what it is and get some contingency plan in place. 

You may be right. I believe these new directives have come from the highest authority in the Kingdom and thus they will be implemented ruthlessly even if it is to the detriment of Thailand,  Thai people and Thai businesses.  The power elite supported by the military will not suffer. Their wealth protects them. I am glad I kept my property in the UK and my investments. If I have to run around pleasing bureaucrats and unelected officials dictating irrational policies then the place is not for me. I feel sorry for the Thai people. The future looks grim. Once the Soviet style internal passport and mandatory reporting for foreigners is polished and fine tuned it will be used to control Thais. Look at China and weep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You may be right. I believe these new directives have come from the highest authority in the Kingdom and thus they will be implemented ruthlessly even if it is to the detriment of Thailand,  Thai people and Thai businesses.  The power elite supported by the military will not suffer. Their wealth protects them. I am glad I kept my property in the UK and my investments. If I have to run around pleasing bureaucrats and unelected officials dictating irrational policies then the place is not for me. I feel sorry for the Thai people. The future looks grim. Once the Soviet style internal passport and mandatory reporting for foreigners is polished and fine tuned it will be used to control Thais. Look at China and weep.

I think expats put too much onus on castigating the Thai Authorities for trying to get shot of them. I believe the answer is a little obscure and maybe unbelievable. I don't think the change in tactics is anything to do with Farangs, it is more to do with Chinese and Indians. The Thais can't have Chinese and Indians having the same access to Thailand as Farang have enjoyed over the years. They also can't show any favouritism to Farangs. So, if you need to blame someone, blame the Chinese and Indians, what country anywhere in the world would want a potential 2,000,000,000 people having access to your country, especially if it had a superior standard of living. 

Farangs aren't the target, they've just been caught up in the crossfire.

Plan your escape guys unless you're loaded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

How about we blame the decision makers, i.e. the Government, and not the guests?

Makes sense, right?

Not as simple as that is it? There has to be a reason for their decision making doesn't there, it really isn't that difficult to comprehend. Apply yourself, if you can.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Not as simple as that is it? There has to be a reason for their decision making doesn't there, it really isn't that difficult to comprehend. Apply yourself, if you can.

Very simple.

Who lobbied the Chinese, starting 2014? 

The Government

Who is now lobbying the Indians?

The Government.

So they like money, right?

It's so easy. Just restrict the permission of stay, don't lobby anyone. They could turn Thailand into North Korea if they wanted. Nobody comes in without a tour guide. Only visas. No visa exempt. No visa on arrival. No nothing.

Who decides that?

The Government.

So basically, now that they come, and the Government is incompetent in handling them, once they were invited, they regulate everybody.

They can stop them at the Airport, yes? Biometrics bla bla.

No need to regulate everybody.

Why should I blame the Chinese and Indians for misfortunes of Westerners?

I will blame the decision makers, i.e the Government.

It's very simple.

Surely you will agree, now that I have explained it in more detail.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 5:36 PM, Freed1948 said:

I am on  an OAP from there, but that is it financially. I have an 18 yo Thai son here who is basically dependent on me ,

Sorry to hear of your situation.

That is a tough one but basically your Thai son probably also has other Thai support & being

18 in most countries makes him an adult & he will likely get along on his own

As for yourself the writing could be pretty clear on the wall. In your own words you basically no

longer qualify under current Thai Immigration rules so your choices are limited to trying to get around those or

head home.

Many years ago I read a article on Stickman that was called "When Somchai Pulls the Trigger"

You should google it

It was good & although written many years ago was basically describing your situation in so much as....

Everyone needs to know when to pull that trigger to leave Thailand even if you can afford it financially.

You need to know in advance where the line is that makes you realize for good reason ok that is it & it was a nice

part of my life but time to pull the trigger

Good Luck to you what ever you decide!????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

Very simple.

The Government

The Government.

It's so easy. Just restrict the permission of stay, don't lobby anyone. They could turn Thailand into North Korea if they wanted. Nobody comes in without a tour guide. Only visas. No visa exempt. No visa on arrival. No nothing.

Who decides that?

The Government.

So basically, now that they come, and the Government is incompetent in handling them, once they were invited, they regulate everybody.

It's very simple.

I don't wish to appear funny old mate, but you just aren't getting it are you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

I don't wish to appear funny old mate, but you just aren't getting it are you?

You explain it for me so I get it.

"It's not that simple".

What is not that simple exactly, can you be more specific?

When a government implements a policy that does not work, it's the fault of the people designing / implementing the policy. Not the fault of the guests.

They should have done a proper risk analysis.

What's so complicated?

Edited by lkv

32 minutes ago, lkv said:

Very simple.

The Government

The Government.

Who decides that?

The Government.

It's very simple.

Nearly correct. Work it out.

9 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nearly correct. Work it out.

Why don't you help me out? ????

2014 - We want Chinese, because that's where the money is.

2018 - Chinese tourism dropping, they heard from Prawit it's actually THEIR fault that the boat sank. You see, it must have been a Chinese operated boat, not Thai. Such event cannot be Thai related.

2019, January - Let's feed 10,000 Chinese with mango and sticky rice, it's good PR.

2019, later in the year - Let us lobby Indians, a market with amazing potential.

2021 - We don't like the Indians, they are this and that. Let's lobby the penguins in Antarctica.

But please, help me out, if I am missing anything from the picture ????

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mania said:

Sorry to hear of your situation.

That is a tough one but basically your Thai son probably also has other Thai support & being

18 in most countries makes him an adult & he will likely get along on his own

As for yourself the writing could be pretty clear on the wall. In your own words you basically no

longer qualify under current Thai Immigration rules so your choices are limited to trying to get around those or

head home.

Many years ago I read a article on Stickman that was called "When Somchai Pulls the Trigger"

You should google it

It was good & although written many years ago was basically describing your situation in so much as....

Everyone needs to know when to pull that trigger to leave Thailand even if you can afford it financially.

You need to know in advance where the line is that makes you realize for good reason ok that is it & it was a nice

part of my life but time to pull the trigger

Good Luck to you what ever you decide!????

My line was when the pound got to 35 baht but i never imagined this 800, 000 k baht nonsense being implemented or the TM28/30 nonsense. I came here to relax in a care free,  mai pen lai culture. There is a puritanical morality seeping into Thailand. Some muslim countries are more free and liberal. The unthinkable destruction and cultural vandalism around Sukhumvit and other areas in Bangkok was the writing on the wall. Currently there is a trinity of power brokers destroying Thailand.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

2018 - Chinese tourism dropping, they heard from Prawit it's actually THEIR fault that the boat sank.

2019, January - Let's feed 10,000 Chinese with mango and sticky rice, it's good PR.

2019, later in the year - Let us lobby Indians, a market with amazing potential.

2021 - We don't like the Indians, they are this and that. Let's lobby the penguins in Antarctica.

There are some things thay can not be discussed. Work it out for your self. Then you will understand: there is no turning back. 

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

My line was when the pound got to 35 baht but i never imagined this 800, 000 k baht nonsense being implemented or the TM28/30 nonsense. I came here to relax in a care free,  mai pen lai culture. There is a puritanical morality seeping into Thailand. Some muslim countries are more free and liberal. The unthinkable destruction and cultural vandalism around Sukhumvit and other areas in Bangkok was the writing on the wall. Currently there is a trinity of power brokers destroying Thailand.

Made your booking yet?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Then you will understand: there is no turning back. 

I pretty much get that. One of the reasons I cancelled the apartment in March and now posting from Europe.

I sincerely believe things will get much worse before they get any better, for long stayers in particular.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lkv said:

2018 - Chinese tourism dropping, they heard from Prawit it's actually THEIR fault that the boat sank. You see, it must have been a Chinese operated boat, not Thai. Such event cannot be Thai related.

Succinct and to the point!

The penguins do have one major advantage tho' as there seems to be little enthusiasm about learning their language.

Thailand's schools will soon be Numbah Neung in penguin speak.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

So the gentleman brings a child into the world,  then when it is no longer "convenient" for him, having made no forward plan just retreats to his home country deserting his child.

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

So the gentleman brings a child into the world,  then when it is no longer "convenient" for him, having made no forward plan just retreats to his home country deserting his child.

Where is an 18 year old considered not a man or even a teen, but a child?  I guess Thailand, but anywhere in the real world?