Is it time to bite the bullet and get out?

Thanks to the sensible posters with their positive responses.

To the naysayers I will quote an American golfer along with  others  7 6 25.

It was difficult to include everything about my situation when I first posted without going to a 3-4 page essay,

but the majority of you basically understood and gave some well-intentioned  advise which was much appreciated.

I am going to return to my home country and leave my son here. As I said he has a very level head on his shoulders and with  multi media like skype

etc it is not as distant as it used to be.

Once again thanks to the rational posters and the others can refer to sentence 2. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Freed1948 said:

Thanks to the sensible posters with their positive responses.

To the naysayers I will quote an American golfer along with  others  7 6 25.

It was difficult to include everything about my situation when I first posted without going to a 3-4 page essay,

but the majority of you basically understood and gave some well-intentioned  advise which was much appreciated.

I am going to return to my home country and leave my son here. As I said he has a very level head on his shoulders and with  multi media like skype

etc it is not as distant as it used to be.

Once again thanks to the rational posters and the others can refer to sentence 2. 

I'm not even going to scroll back to my posts. It was along lines that you had already made your decision to return home. I along same few others tried to advise some options. Complete waste of time. Enjoy your shelf life back in home town. 

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No,they won't. 

The OP is kanker. Why wouldn't he be attacked. Started a tread with already knowing outcome. If your religious you can ask for forgiveness. Won't find much on tvf. OP is on OAP. ...

Stating will send sonny boy some baht! Hells bells.

• Sad 1

You don't mention in your OP if you actually want to remain here.  If so, other members have suggested ways to do so.  If not, more welcoming, visa friendly, and affordable countries are nearby.  You can take you Thai wife and son. 

Should you decide to stay, and jump through the hoops, that is your choice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have been coming and going to Thailand for more than 30 years without any problem what so ever. Go figure. 

Yeah, so did I, came and went without issues, but not as long as you did. Only about 8 years, not 30 years.

You must remember the good old days then, of "renewing" the 30 day visa exempt at the border endlessly.

By the way, a warm welcome to the forum again, I understand you joined about a month ago.

And surely, you can appreciate that, what happened in the last 30 years regarding Thai Immigration policies is not indicative of the future, so just have patience. It will get worse. As another poster stated, nobody should feel too comfy.

Unless you were Thai. Then you would have many other issues or things to complain about, when it comes to the Government, just not Immigration related.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Putting ANY reliance on immigration or this government is surely to end up against the way you planned or hoped.  The unpredictability is unnerving and unsettling for people.
Better to anticipate farther down the road.  The predictor of future behavior is past relevant behavior.  

Getting out may be a good financial and wellbeing decision for many.  Thankfully I have no financial investment here and very little emotional investment too.  Personally I find it's lost what little value it had and getting out is the better choice for me.  Much nicer places to live and travel without the mentality and rule of those in charge.  
You have to decide for yourself and what ever immigration solution you are willing to put up with now and in the future.  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, exppenang said:

Is it time to "Bite The Bullet" and get out now?

This is a personal decision that each one of us has to make. It depends on the specific set of circumstances each expat has. Working, retired, married to a Thai, teaching English, etc.

I advise ALL expats here to look BEYOND the TM30 and into the future. This will not be the last immigration fiasco for law-abiding expats trying to carve out an existence here. This is just ONE in a series of ridiculous rules and fees, and it will continue. Don't ask yourself if you can tolerate the TM30 fiasco. Ask yourself if you can tolerate the next one, and the next, and the next and so on.

No matter how cushy and agreeable your current circumstances may be, only a fool would ignore the overall trend without developing a workable exit strategy. Failing to do so will almost certainly end up, sooner or later, in being caught flat-footed when your time does come. Don't fall into the trap that you are immune because of this, that or the other thing.

No expat here is immune. Take as much <deleted> as you like from immigration, pay as many bribes and fines as you want. But do not fool yourself that YOUR DAY will not come.

Immigration will SEE TO IT that your day does come, most likely at a considerable cost of time and money spent.

the tm 30 is not worth discussing, its not that big a deal, especially if you live in Phuket with being able to use the drive thru> or online

I am pulling the plug after 32+ years here as although i can do the $$, I am NOT going to buy medical insurance at over $2,500/year once they put that into effect> and they will , ( even thou its the tourist that run on the medical bills, not the expats)
No more hoops for me,

As to the OP> pay an agent the 22,000+ baht an be done with it or head elsewhere
ur kids 18, he can join the army...

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1