Emergency ambulances and location

scubascuba3

Some friends and I did some CPR training the other day but what we wondered is if in an emergency in the middle of nowhere you call for an ambulance (1669 I think), how can you provide location easily? are they set up so you can send a Line location? or google maps location or other way?

Whilst we are out cycling the back routes out of town it wouldn't be easy to describe exact location, some roads don't even have names or even exist on googlemaps

I doubt they use GPS. You will need to somehow describe where you are.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's a worry, not easy when cycling in the middle of nowhere. If the ambulance crew or people taking calls have smartphones they will have Line app, where you can send Location easy. Hopefully I won't need to find out

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No one know?

the answer is even if they show up it is kabuki theatre.  I have been to many "accidents" in Thailand and the response time is horrible (like 45 minutes in downtown Pattaya) and the procedures they follow are horrible.  

On 8/24/2019 at 11:01 AM, scubascuba3 said:

are they set up so you can send a Line location?

copy and paste GPS lat log into SMS text message and see if they can receive it.

go on facebook. many EMS groups. get a LINE contact.

This presumes tbey understand and know how to use it. Not usually the cade in Thailand.

Even delivery services like Kerry, DHL et don't use GPS despitefi ding lications being pretty much their sole activity.

Thais tend to give and understand directions in terms of familiar landmarks. Despite high use of smart phones GPS has not caught on here yet.

This presumes tbey understand and know how to use it. Not usually the cade in Thailand.

Even delivery services like Kerry, DHL et don't use GPS despitefi ding lications being pretty much their sole activity.

Thais tend to give and understand directions in terms of familiar landmarks. Despite high use of smart phones GPS has not caught on here yet.

You may be right, certainly taxi bike guys don't seem to understand googlemaps, but thai girls I've met often ask for a Line location so they are aware how it works. I'd like to think emergency response people are more clued up than most

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You may be right, certainly taxi bike guys don't seem to understand googlemaps, but thai girls I've met often ask for a Line location so they are aware how it works. I'd like to think emergency response people are more clued up than most

That has not been my experience.

Best thing to do is find a Thai person, any Thai person, and put them on the line to explain the location.  They will usually do so by reference to commonly known landmarks.

No help when you are out traveling but you and all other expats should make sure you are readily able to explain your home location in Thai.

I have needed their services a couple of times, once following 2 days on the floor unable to move any part of my body after a stroke.

The up side is that the hospital is only 10 minutes away and the emergency teams do have some knowledge of English.

Someone found me, called 1669 and as the person was aware that i had made out a DNR and that it was on a wall of my house in clear view, showed it to the emergency team.   There is also a copy at my local hospital.

The local hospital gave correct emergency treatment before shipping me off to Khon Kaen.

1 hour ago, cranki said:

Here try this app.....haven't used it personally, sends your location via GPS to I am assuming a call center. 

EMERGENCY/AMBULANCE SERVICE

Looks like it sends it to Bangkok Hospital Group?

in which case may not be much use if you are in a province where they don't have a branch. I'm not too sure of its working in their more upcountry locales either. But if it is truly a service that the Bangkok Hosp Group has commissioned/uses wouldl ikely work in Bangkok area and maybe also Pattaya and CM areas.

Assuming one is OK with going to their hospital(s).

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Looks like it sends it to Bangkok Hospital Group?

in which case may not be much use if you are in a province where they don't have a branch. I'm not too sure of its working in their more upcountry locales either. But if it is truly a service that the Bangkok Hosp Group has commissioned/uses wouldl ikely work in Bangkok area and maybe also Pattaya and CM areas.

Assuming one is OK with going to their hospital(s).

You could be right....

there are however branches at: 

Samui

Chantaburi

Rayong

Pattaya

Bangkok (obviously)

Chiang Mai

Khon Kaen

Phitsanulok

Pakchong

HuaHin

Trat

SuratThani

Not surprising.

They follow the money. 

There is a branch at Korat, however,  next to the mall (the former Thonburi Hospital).

You also failed to mention their branches at Udon Thani, Phuket and Hadyai.

The branch at Roiet has long been closed - guess why?

We have plan, we are 25 kms out of town

Wait and die OR do something

Ambulances can not be relied upon

Make sure you are registered at your hospital of choice, this may again save time on arrival, and if there are existing conditions see these are on file

Get the casualty into the pick up or car with blankets and neighbour, (having done emergency first aid if possible) drive to government teaching hospital  Srinakarin, who have a 24/7 A&E, we had to do this one night when I was haemorrhaging blood, my wife had one day already practised this and went to A and E on a practise run

Once moving do not stop at local clinic only has limited facilities, and time may be wasted

There can be serious risks of moving a casualty, but maybe less than help not arriving, YOUR OWN DECISION

On a cruise ship or aeroplane they show you emergency procedures, in Thailand you need your own independent PLAN

Archived