Stay in Thailand after extension of stay has expired?

I am now living back in Australia with my Thai wife after having lived in Thailand for 16 years.

I still have a valid 12 months extension of stay for Thailand, which expires in November 2019 with a valid multi entry visa to return to Thailand . I have a return trip booked to Thailand from end of October until the middle of December 2019 to tie up some lose ends there. 

I know there will be no problems entering Thailand with my re-entry visa.

I don't want to apply for an other extension of stay after it expires in November, a few weeks about five weeks before returning to Australia.

Which is the best option to address this problem and to avoid getting tangled up with an overstay problem? Any ideas? Thanks for any helpful advice.

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

Can you take a vacation in a neighboring country for a couple weeks, then use a visa on arrival to come back and then catch your flight home?

Yes, I thought about doing that, but the purpose of my trip to Thailand is to sell a small condominium and for my wife to visit her family. Thanks for your reply.

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, as previous poster states, border run and visa exempt entry is easiest. Where in Thailand will you be on the day or one or two days before your extension expires.

We will be staying in our condominium in Jomtien, not far from Chonburi Immigration in Soi 5. Cheers

Just now, Northpoint said:

We will be staying in our condominium in Jomtien, not far from Chonburi Immigration in Soi 5. Cheers

Any of the vans doing the run to the border in Chantaburi. The cost is fixed at 2500 Baht. Leave at 6 am, back by around 2 pm. Lunch included. The vans go every day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Go out and come back and use a TOURIST VISA EXCEMPT, which you can extend at immigration in Thailand if you like for another month. That gives you 60 days...

glegolo

I just wonder if it would be easiest to disregard my valid re-entry visa and apply for a tourist visa here in Australia, which would allow me to stay for the duration of my trip.  I would have no problem with that, as long as it does not create any hassles or confusion with Thai Immigration officials on arrival. 

Maybe you forget about the current extention you have and get a 2 months TV in Australia? Then, on the arrival card, state the TV number and not your re-entry permit number. This may be easier and cheaper than a border run.

• Like 1

Just now, Northpoint said:

I just wonder if it would be easiest to disregard my valid re-entry visa and apply for a tourist visa here in Australia, which would allow me to stay for the duration of my trip.  I would have no problem with that, as long as it does not create any hassles or confusion with Thai Immigration officials on arrival. 

I was going to suggest that option (but didn't).

If you do this, make sure you put the number of the (new) tourist visa on the landing card (TM 6) and not the number of the re-entry permit nor leave it blank. You may still be asked for confirmation that this is what you wish to do when you arrive and also possibly by the embassy/consulate when you apply for it.

• Like 1

Not sure on cost in Oz but a single entry 0 based on being married will give you 90 days.

If things take longer you can extend that for 60 days ( to stay with your wife ) for 1900 baht. No border hops blah blah and relaxed time here knowing you've got 5 months if needed.

They will issue it even if your extension is still valid.

Don't forget the TM30. ????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Any of the vans doing the run to the border in Chantaburi. The cost is fixed at 2500 Baht. Leave at 6 am, back by around 2 pm. Lunch included. The vans go every day.

I used to do border runs in the early days and used to get 90 day extensions on my Non O Immi visa back then, before switching to extensions of stay and 90 day reports. I don't think I could do that now with an expired extension of stay?

14 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I was going to suggest that option (but didn't).

If you do this, make sure you put the number of the (new) tourist visa on the landing card (TM 6) and not the number of the re-entry permit nor leave it blank. You may still be asked for confirmation that this is what you wish to do when you arrive and also possibly by the embassy/consulate when you apply for it.

I think I will give the tourist visa a try after explaining the situation to the Thai consulate in Brisbane. Thanks

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not sure on cost in Oz but a single entry 0 based on being married will give you 90 days.

If things take longer you can extend that for 60 days ( to stay with your wife ) for 1900 baht. No border hops blah blah and relaxed time here knowing you've got 5 months if needed.

They will issue it even if your extension is still valid.

Don't forget the TM30. ????

Thanks, but I still got a valid Non Immi O visa grandfathered back from several years ago, which will be cancelled once my stay of extension expires. I only want to stay in Thailand for 7 weeks. In Australia Non O Immi visas are no longer issued by Thai consulates, unless one is legally married. I live in a de facto relationship with my wife, who has a permanent resident visa in Australia and travels on her Thai passport.

2 hours ago, Northpoint said:

Thanks, but I still got a valid Non Immi O visa grandfathered back from several years ago, which will be cancelled once my stay of extension expires. I only want to stay in Thailand for 7 weeks. In Australia Non O Immi visas are no longer issued by Thai consulates, unless one is legally married. I live in a de facto relationship with my wife, who has a permanent resident visa in Australia and travels on her Thai passport.

Could be similar to UK, they no longer issue multi entry O based on being married but still do single entry as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

On August 24, 2019 at 1:41 PM, timendres said:

Can you take a vacation in a neighboring country for a couple weeks, then use a visa on arrival to come back and then catch your flight home?

You mean a visa exempt entry. Australians aren't eligible for a VOA and in any event a visa exempt entry is good for 30 + 30 days whereas  VOA is only good for 15 days, is not extendable and usually requires a fee .

Why spend two weeks in another country if the purpose of the visit is to attend to personal business in Thailand?

• Like 1

Definately do not use your extension of stay/re entry permit. You will only get stamped in until the valid until date. You will then be on overstay. As others have suggested you need some sort of a visa that you can extend for your visit. Your biggest issue as far as I can see is selling your condo in a 2 month period. There are loads of them on the market at the moment, your only chance is a firesale at a give away price. Talking about giving it away, if you get to that stage, drop me a PM, I will take it off your hands for free, to save you worrying about it. You can then go back to Aus clear of your ties to Thailand. ????

Edited by jimn
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Northpoint said:

Which is the best option to address this problem and to avoid getting tangled up with an overstay problem? Any ideas? Thanks for any helpful advice.

As long as your wife is coming back with you. Ignore the posts requiring getting visas, you won't need one.

Come back on your re-entry permit

Apply for a 60 day extension to "visit" your wife.

Assuming that you haven't used this extension before during you previous extensions it will be granted, and will run for 60 days after the current one ends in November.

PS I noticed your wife will be with you so that will cost 1,900 Baht 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As long as your wife is coming back with you. Ignore the posts requiring getting visas, you won't need one.

Come back on your re-entry permit

Apply for a 60 day extension to "visit" your wife.

The OP and his wife are not legally married ……. ignore your plan.

Back to the other posts suggesting a TV + 30 day extension.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, Tanoshi said:

The OP and his wife are not legally married ……. ignore your plan.

Back to the other posts suggesting a TV + 30 day extension.

I have changed my travel itinerary now and will be leaving Thailand before my 12 months extension of stay exiperes in November. I guess I can still use my valid re-entry permit and then leave without any problems before the next extension of stay would have to be renewed. One more question, Do I still have to report to Immigration when I arrive early October to fill in a TM 30 and other documents, as I will only be staying for about 3 weeks before leaving Thailand. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Northpoint said:

I have changed my travel itinerary now and will be leaving Thailand before my 12 months extension of stay exiperes in November. I guess I can still use my valid re-entry permit and then leave without any problems before the next extension of stay would have to be renewed. One more question, Do I still have to report to Immigration when I arrive early October to fill in a TM 30 and other documents, as I will only be staying for about 3 weeks before leaving Thailand. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

You can use your re-entry permit to enter Thailand before your current permission of stay expires.

On entry you'll be stamped in until the same date as on your current extension expiry date.

Other than filing a TM30, nothing else is required if your leaving 3 weeks later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northpoint said:

One more question, Do I still have to report to Immigration when I arrive early October to fill in a TM 30 and other documents, as I will only be staying for about 3 weeks before leaving Thailand. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

To be completely legal the TM30 is dependent on the immigration office you use. For some offices yes you do.

For other offices, Udon is one, they will not want a report unless your address has changed.

So there is not one correct answer. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To be completely legal the TM30 is dependent on the immigration office you use. For some offices yes you do.

To be completely legal you should file a TM30 according to the law.

Immigration offices can change their requirements at the click of a switch.

CW suddenly changed their policy of 'no need' to 'need' in April and as a result hundreds of expats are being fined for not complying previously.

• Like 1